Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ulloa Penalty Miss - Video

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
My thoughts also, but the follow up was poor to get Leo out of jail, how easy is it to score a goal from a pushed out pen and no one that keen apart from barnsley following in for it, schoolboy stuff.

I thought this at the time also. A natural goalscorer would have been on that rebound

D

Deleted member 2719

I thought this at the time also. A natural goalscorer would have been on that rebound
If i was Gus and Tanno i would be having at least four of my fastest players on the edge of that box following it in, i worry far too much about these simple things but isn't that what makes the difference come the end of the year, well i think Leo would have been grateful for someone tucking in the rebound.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Was Calde bearing down on goal to get the penalty?

If he was it'll be £85 a dirty northern ... has cost me.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Poor refereeing.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Should have been retaken, keeper was off his line

When are refs going to stop this habit of keepers diving forward before the kick is taken. When I was a ref I was taught to watch the keeper and listen for the sound of the ball being kicked and the lino to watch for encroachment and listen for the kick. I was also taught that the only way that a keeper would save a kick was if (a) He moved early or (b) the kick was mis hit . If struck firmly and in the right direction the player will score as the ball will travel faster than a mans reaction.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Was Calde bearing down on goal to get the penalty?

If he was it'll be £85 a dirty northern ... has cost me.

He had just broken into the box on the right side (facing the goal), only just inside the area, and it looked like he had yet to change direction toward the goal.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
When are refs going to stop this habit of keepers diving forward before the kick is taken. When I was a ref I was taught to watch the keeper and listen for the sound of the ball being kicked and the lino to watch for encroachment and listen for the kick. I was also taught that the only way that a keeper would save a kick was if (a) He moved early or (b) the kick was mis hit . If struck firmly and in the right direction the player will score as the ball will travel faster than a mans reaction.

Now the laws of the game state it is the referee's assistant responsibility to watch for goalkeepers "blatantly" moving off the line before the ball is kicked, suggesting a certain amount of early movement is accepted.

Also, that penalties only being scored that way is clearly nonsense. A played who tries a dink down the middle can be saved by a goalkeeper standing still. But it's also possible to save penalties without moving early or shots being miss-hit.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Now the laws of the game state it is the referee's assistant responsibility to watch for goalkeepers "blatantly" moving off the line before the ball is kicked, suggesting a certain amount of early movement is accepted.

Also, that penalties only being scored that way is clearly nonsense. A played who tries a dink down the middle can be saved by a goalkeeper standing still. But it's also possible to save penalties without moving early or shots being miss-hit.

That was a generalisation and as such players didnt do a dink down the middle, that has come into the modern game, they always used to hit it hard to the corner or even down the middle and hardly any were saved, some missed but not saved. The first keeper to start saving penalties was Paul Cooper at Ipswich by moving forward fractionally early, which every keeper does now and as I say should be jumped on by the refs.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
When he ran up, I knew exactly where he was going to put it, with a bit more power or pace, it probably would have gone in, but almost seemed in slow motion.

Interesting for their penalty, Tomasz asked Andy Beasley what way the taker was going to kick it, and got it right, shame it was a very good penalty right in the bottom corner out of Tomasz's reach.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath

That is rubbish as it is easier for the ref standing near the spot to see the keeper and the lino standing on the by line to see the players behind the ref coming into the box early.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
That is rubbish as it is easier for the ref standing near the spot to see the keeper and the lino standing on the by line to see the players behind the ref coming into the box early.

Just to clarify, are you saying the law is rubbish, or that me saying it was the law is rubbish, because I can show you the law...

*assumes it's the former*

I would counter that with forward movement off the line is easier to see if you are staring down that line, which the assistant is, as opposed to staring perpendicularly at it, which the ref would be. And wile not exactly in line, the ref is position more in line with the edge of the box, than the assistant who is more perpendicular to it.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
The greatest example ever of a keeper off his line was Dave Beasant ( Wimbledon v Liverpool FAC final ) He throws himself forward so he is at least 3 yards off his line and when he saves John Aldridge's pen, they are barely 4 yards apart. Beasant is so far out it is laughable. Aldridge had no chance.
We can now add Ulloa to the list of ' non-penalty takers ' along with CMS/Barnes/Dicker/Harley etc

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Spanish Len went for accuracy rather than power , he could have blasted it and missed the target altogether.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Er yes, that may er have been me, and quickly followed by a "Jeeeesus Christ"

haha, yeah nice reaction.Summed it up.

Not such a great penalty for me. Bit tame, right height for keeper.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Spanish Len went for accuracy rather than power , he could have blasted it and missed the target altogether.

I always think that you should smack a penalty hard into the roof of the net. You get the occasional one over the bar, but not as often as you see a keeper save a weekly struck penalty.

Puppet Master

non sequitur
Aug 14, 2012
First time I've seen that and I guessed straight away from his position before the run up he was gonna go keeper's right.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here