Ulloa out for "2 months"

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
Yep, but you would also have to agree that this would be a logical way to approach the situation rather than an irrational splash the cash directive?

I would, but your argument assumes we have an amount set aside to spend. I'm not so sure we do.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Why does anyone think there is money to spend??? The budget is the same as last season. Those who have gone have been replaced, like for like(wages wise anyway) and Upson will be on loads more than the percentage we were paying Stoke. Poyet had already spent his pennies. No one has been sold and no one of any note has been bought. So we are working on the same budget. No one has for one second said there is more to spend. People expecting money to be spent, I think are going to be disappointed, unless of course someone goes to free up some cash to work with.... now who have we got who is worth a few quid and probably surplus to requirements with the additions that have been made??? We may have three strikers injured but their wages are still being paid every mouth and included in the playing budget.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Why does anyone think there is money to spend??? The budget is the same as last season. Those who have gone have been replaced, like for like(wages wise anyway) and Upson will be on loads more than the percentage we were paying Stoke. Poyet had already spent his pennies. No one has been sold and no one of any note has been bought. So we are working on the same budget. No one has for one second said there is more to spend. People expecting money to be spent, I think are going to be disappointed, unless of course someone goes to free up some cash to work with.... now who have we got who is worth a few quid and probably surplus to requirements with the additions that have been made??? We may have three strikers injured but their wages are still being paid every mouth and included in the playing budget.

But you don't know what we have got, and last season we splashed out £2m on Ulloa, so I expect at least that amount plus a bit more in the kitty.

On the basis that you think Barnes missed a sitter by 6ft I cannot believe anything you say in your post has any factual evidence of the funds we have or not, or what will be made available come January or when Oscar says he needs it.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
But you don't know what we have got, and last season we splashed out £2m on Ulloa, so I expect at least that amount plus a bit more in the kitty.

On the basis that you think Barnes missed a sitter by 6ft I cannot believe anything you say in your post has any factual evidence of the funds we have or not, or what will be made available come January or when Oscar says he needs it.

You right, I have no idea what we got. All i'm going on is the club saying the playing budget is the same as last season. In order for someone to come in, someone is going to have to inject more cash into that budget.

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton

Don't get me wrong, I hope your right, I really do. I think our current injury list masks the fact we have a number of big earners at the club and there may not be as much spare cash as you think

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
But we haven't spent our budget yet to need a cash injection

If it's the same squad as last season on the same wages, then the playing budget is the same, is it not??? Same being spent out this season as last = same budget. In order to bring players in we would either need a) A bigger budget or b) Sell someone to fund it.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Don't get me wrong, I hope your right, I really do. I think our current injury list masks the fact we have a number of big earners at the club and there may not be as much spare cash as you think

You may be right, I'm just thinking along the lines that we haven't purchased any players yet. I wonder if FFP takes into account losses through injury.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

If the budget is the same as last year, I'd say we've spent it and a bit more. We may have signed Ulloa but we sold Noone for close to what we paid for him to cover it. We may have sold someone else but I forget who. So with the players released and the new signings we have made I wouldn't think there's anything but buttons left....sadly

I can't imagine releasing Vicente, Harley, Dicker, Adjestien and Painter and saving the wages we paid Bridge was costing us anymore than Agustien, Ward, Andrews, Conway, and Upson in wages. In fact I reckon we are probably paying more in wages this year :down:

Dobbie probably cost us close to what we got for him in signing on fees and wages, so I'd discount him.

Last edited:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
If it's the same squad as last season on the same wages, then the playing budget is the same, is it not??? Same being spent out this season as last = same budget. In order to bring players in we would either need a) A bigger budget or b) Sell someone to fund it.

But it isn't is it? We paid a transfer fees for Ulloa last season and didn't we get about 800k for Dobbie this season?

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually

No because you are not taking into account that last season in the January window we spent £2m on Ulloa with our budget. Likewise it is also reasonable to assume that money will be there if needed in this season's January window.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
If the budget is the same as last year, I'd say we've spent it and a bit more. We may have signed Ulloa but we sold Noone for close to what we paid for him to cover it. We may have sold someone else but I forget who. So with the players released and the new signings we have made I wouldn't think there's anything but buttons left....sadly

I can't imagine releasing Vicente, Harley, Dicker, Adjestien and Painter and saving the wages we paid Bridge was costing us anymore than Agustien, Ward, Andrews, Conway, and Upson in wages. In fact I reckon we are probably paying more in wages this year :down:

Dobbie probably cost us close to what we got for him in signing on fees and wages, so I'd discount him.

I wouldn't disagree with your scenario. The point I was originally on was all the comments saying that Burke and Barber were pulling the strings and that Oscar didn't have a say in who we get, and that he should have been given a pile of money and the club should not be such tight arses.

I am saying that come January Oscar will know what he needs, and January is a better time to spend than when he arrived when he had no real knowledge of what he has.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
I would imagine Upson's signing on fee and his wages take care of the Dobbie money. Upson must be one of the highest earners at the club easily.
:lol:

Jimmy Grimble

I'm not sure how it affects each years budget/accounts, but the Ulloa transfer money is being paid in installments, so we are still paying some of that this year.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
With my 0 years of management experience I would personally put Buckley up top in a crisis. He has the pace. He has some height. He can finish.

Go on Oscar. BE BRAVE.

Great player but his height is no use. Standing still and jumping up, Will hardly gets off the ground. I believe from ground to feet he managed 37cm, about the worst in the squad including the U16's. Kaz jumped the highest from this position, almost twice as high as Will off the ground.
So by my calculations, Kaz is about 4 inches smaller than Will, but from a standing position he would be about 8 inches above Will.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports