Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ulloa out for "2 months"

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
A whisper past the upright is not missing by six foot as you describe in your argument as your own twisted verion of the truth.

How can you have a debate using wild exageration as your basis ??? Your point has failed with me :lolol:

But it wasn't a whisker out side the post, it was a bad miss in a situation that a top end championship striker would have gobbled up.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Yes Ulloa is good enough but we still need another striker, even when he is fit...If people think Barnes is up to this level then that's fair enough. In my opinion he is not and never has been. The fact he scores the odd goal now and then doesn't change this view, after all that is actually what he gets paid to do. If we don't get another first choice striker, we are in serious trouble and you can forget the play offs.

So you forgive Ulloa for his poor first and second touch when one on one with Kirkland but have no empathy with Barnes's volley on the turn that was close to being a supurb goal.

I sense a little bit of bias prejudgment here ??? As you say it is your opinion that he is not and never has been up to this level and I presume it is also your view he will never be ???

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
That Garcia has no say in transfer policy and has to work with what he is given.

Has he ever said this? Is it a known fact? If it is can you point to where it is stated!!

To be honest I would find it to be amazing if he had no say in the players that are brought to the club.

What do you think Garcia knew about Andrews, Ward, Kemy???...Burke is in charge of transfers and identifying targets. Yes this is a fact and quite a worrying one, I think all would agree.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I am a big fan of Barnes but he is no more a lone striker than CMS is. He needs to play off someone to even get in the team imo. Put him upfront with another striker and I think he'd do very well. The way we have been hoofing the ball up to him, he has absolutely no chance.

Kev, maybe you can fill me in on the "absolute sitters" he has missed this season. I don't remember him getting many chances but the two that stand out to me are the volley at Reading that was well saved and the one on Tuesday, where technically he did everything right. As mentioned before on this thread Ulloa's dreadful touch when clean through on a one to one with the keeper was far worse than anything I have seen from Barnes this season.

We do agree on one thing, we desperately need a proper target man.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
But it wasn't a whisker out side the post, it was a bad miss in a situation that a top end championship striker would have gobbled up.

Rubbish, there are very few strikers who you'd EXPECT to score with a chance like that. Some go in, most miss and it was no way an easy chance, it was just a chance.

Daffy Duck

Stop bloody moaning!
Nov 7, 2009
GOSBTS
What do you think Garcia knew about Andrews, Ward, Kemy???...Burke is in charge of transfers and identifying targets. Yes this is a fact and quite a worrying one, I think all would agree.

But Keith Andrews said himself that Oscar called him a few times and spoke to him before he came down here.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
So you forgive Ulloa for his poor first and second touch when one on one with Kirkland but have no empathy with Barnes's volley on the turn that was close to being a supurb goal.

I sense a little bit of bias prejudgment here ??? As you say it is your opinion that he is not and never has been up to this level and I presume it is also your view he will never be ???

Yes you are right. In my opinion Ashley Barnes will never be a top end championship player, he doesn't have the speed of thought and his first touch is not up to it... How many times do you see him holding his head in his hands after the centre half cleared the cross as Barnes steams in behind him and everyone says unlucky???...It's not unlucky at all, he should be making his run across the front of the ch....20 goal a season league 1 player and someone I would snap up at that level. Championship level he is very average at best. Not a bad third striker but nothing more and if he is our number 1 choice, we are in trouble.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton

You forgot the signing of Chicksen, the first signing for the club after OG's appointment.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
That Garcia has no say in transfer policy and has to work with what he is given.

Has he ever said this? Is it a known fact? If it is can you point to where it is stated!!

To be honest I would find it to be amazing if he had no say in the players that are brought to the club.

It's a little murky. Garcia is involved to a degree, but how much is not factually known by most outside the club. I believe it was the fans forum just before the season started where Tony Bloom or Paul Barber explained it as David Burke liaises with his scouting network, creating a list of targets, takes this to Garcia who says who he's interested in, then Burke tries to get them.

Some people suggest Garcia has less input that players are foisted on him, others say he can veto any player he doesn't want.

At least one player has spoke of talking to Garcia before signing, and I believe there was an interview in the argus late in the transfer window where Garcia talked about not being used to doing transfer dealings and that Burke and the club are helping him get up to speed with what is expected, suggesting (to me, at least) he is more involved than laid out at the fans forum.

On NSC, which version of this is fact will depend on what argument people want to make. Not signing players? That's because Oscar doesn't want anyone until he knows what he has. Signing a british player? There's no way Oscar wanted him, he only knows Spanish and Israeli players.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually

Some people will never get the fact that what we have saved in the last transfer window will go toward the January one when Oscar has an full informed understanding of what he has.

Also there is no point rushing out to get a player when the squad are still learning a new way. Once everyone knows their job a new player will slot in and Oscar can focus his full attention on the new player and not teaching everyone else, and him.

There is a perfectly good rational reason for not splashing the cash on his arrival and Oscar would agree fully with this, if not suggested it himself.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
But Keith Andrews said himself that Oscar called him a few times and spoke to him before he came down here.

He may well have done, after Burke had agreed a deal with him in principal. I would expect a player to want to talk to his future head coach and then decide. That doesn't change the fact Burke targeted him in the first place and agreed the move.

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
Some people will never get the fact that what we have saved in the last transfer window will go toward the January one when Oscar has an full informed understanding of what he has.

Also there is no point rushing out to get a player when the squad are still learning a new way. Once everyone knows their job a new player will slot in and Oscar can focus his full attention on the new player and not teaching everyone else, and him.

There is a perfectly good rational reason for not splashing the cash on his arrival and Oscar would agree fully with this, if not suggested it himself.

I guess we will see if you are right when the January window closes

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
It's a little murky. Garcia is involved to a degree, but how much is not factually known by most outside the club. I believe it was the fans forum just before the season started where Tony Bloom or Paul Barber explained it as David Burke liaises with his scouting network, creating a list of targets, takes this to Garcia who says who he's interested in, then Burke tries to get them.
Some people suggest Garcia has less input that players are foisted on him, others say he can veto any player he doesn't want.

At least one player has spoke of talking to Garcia before signing, and I believe there was an interview in the argus late in the transfer window where Garcia talked about not being used to doing transfer dealings and that Burke and the club are helping him get up to speed with what is expected, suggesting (to me, at least) he is more involved than laid out at the fans forum.

On NSC, which version of this is fact will depend on what argument people want to make. Not signing players? That's because Oscar doesn't want anyone until he knows what he has. Signing a british player? There's no way Oscar wanted him, he only knows Spanish and Israeli players.

This is the bit that gets me, he only can choose from what Burke puts forward. So if Burke is sh*t at spotting a good player, then that is what Oscar has to choose from.

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick

This sounds a more measured opinion in that "Garcia is involved to a degree" and one I would imagine is nearer to the truth rather than him not being involved at all.....

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Also, does Oscar never mention a player to Burke, to be put into consideration?

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
This thread has got me rocking backward and forward in my seat.....I think kev has given me diabetes as well.

:(

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here