Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ulloa for sale!!

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
We would never pay £10m for a 30 year old. TB likes an investment.

Agreed and I don't think we would either. And even if we did, I'm not sure Ulloa is the man.

However, there is argument in the situation we're in now that £10m on the right man is a very sound investment, regardless of their age. Because if we don't go up this year, the team is going to need a makeover. I'd argue that Bruno might be a year too old next year, maybe even Sidwell as well in a 2 man central midfield. We'd also be replacing Kayal, Stephens, Murray and likely Knockaert and Dunk too.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
Yeah, I overrate a player who scored a goal every 2 Championship games.

He didn't score every 2 games though did he. He'd bag a hatrick on one game, score another 2 the next game and then go missing for the next 8 games. Typical Ulloa. He wasn't a consistent goal scorer or match performer.

Basing players on stats doesn't always work. Wasn't that how Burke was signing his players for us? That worked well.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
IMO the most overrated striker/player we've had in the last 22 years of me watching the club.

Do you know what overrated actually means? Ulloa scored 1 in 3 in a poor Almeria side relegated from La Liga, then finished top scorer in the Spanish second tier in 2011/12 with 29 goals, then scored 26 in 58 for us, then banged in 11 Premier League goals for Leicester, then in his next season played in 29 league matches in Leicester's title-winning campaign and now has a price tag of £10 million that someone - almost certainly - will pay.

Do not attempt to rewrite history. The facts are that Ulloa is one of the best strikers ever to play for the Albion.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
Do not attempt to rewrite history. facts are that Ulloa is one of the best strikers ever to play for the Albion.

I think you need to check up what facts mean and also history.

Also read about Moneyball signings. I think we've learnt our lesson in making those silly mistakes again. 'IMO' Murray, Barnes, Zamora and N Forster were better players for the Albion upfront, and thats just what I've seen over the last 22 years.

History/stats says Darren Bent scored a lot of Prem goals, but yet an understanding of playing the game tells you he was crap. Football isn't always a matter of maths.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I think you need to check up what facts means and also history.

Also read about Moneyball signings. I think we've learnt our lesson in making those silly mistakes again. IMO Murray, Barnes, Zamora and N Forster were better players for the Albion upfront, and thatd just what I've seen over the last 22 years.

All of the numbers I quoted ARE facts. They PROVE the man scores goals - he's owned the second tiers of England and Spain, he's scored goals in the top tiers, got game time in a very decent Leicester side and kept Kramaric out of the picture completely - a striker who scored an absolute worldy for Croatia last night versus Northern Ireland and who has a respectable 8 in 25 in the Bundesliga.

I'm not saying we should sign Ulloa now because he's too similar to Murray and we need to think about upgrading Baldock if we can. Nevertheless, Ulloa was a great player for us and still has a few Prem goals left in him yet I fancy.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
All of the numbers I quoted ARE facts. They PROVE the man scores goals - he's owned the second tiers of England and Spain, he's scored goals in the top tiers, got game time in a very decent Leicester side and kept Kramaric out of the picture completely - a striker who scored an absolute worldy for Croatia last night versus Northern Ireland and who has a respectable 8 in 25 in the Bundesliga.

I'm not saying we should sign Ulloa now because he's too similar to Murray and we need to think about upgrading Baldock if we can. Nevertheless, Ulloa was a great player for us and still has a few Prem goals left in him yet I fancy.

Are you aware he's played 12 times this season and has only scored 0?

Sign him up! ( I understand that's not your suggestion)

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
Love to see Leo back. One of the best proper front men we've had. You can't tell me he's not a better player now either. He'd be a fantastic addition to what we have.
However, can't see it happening.

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
He didn't score every 2 games though did he. He'd bag a hatrick on one game, score another 2 the next game and then go missing for the next 8 games. Typical Ulloa. He wasn't a consistent goal scorer or match performer.

Basing players on stats doesn't always work. Wasn't that how Burke was signing his players for us? That worked well.

Not entirely true. I know you're exaggerating for effect, but the longest run he had without scoring in 2013/14 was 6 games. He didn't score a hat trick that season and only got a brace twice.

http://www.espnfc.co.uk/player/67327/leonardo-ulloa?season=2013

In his first season, one hat trick, one brace and longest run without scoring was 4 games.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
Not entirely true. I know you're exaggerating for effect, but the longest run he had without scoring in 2013/14 was 6 games. He didn't score a hat trick that season and only got a brace twice.

http://www.espnfc.co.uk/player/67327/leonardo-ulloa?season=2013

In his first season, one hat trick, one brace and longest run without scoring was 4 games.

But it does show there was a run of 16 games where he scored in 4 matches for us. They were the last 16 games he played for us.

Also, the first 17 fixtures on that list also show he only managed to score in 5 of those games. In my eyes, that's not very consistent just like the 12 games he's played this season without scoring a single goal.

Last edited:

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
But it does show there was a run of 16 games where he scored in 4 matches for us. They were the last 16 games he played for us.

Also, the first 17 fixtures on that list also show he only managed to score in 5 of those games. In my eyes, that's not very consistent just like the 12 games he's played this season without scoring a single goal.

hahaha now who's manipulating the stats to prove their point!!

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla

Actually he pretty well did !!!

23 goals in 50 Championship games is just a tiny fraction under a goal every 2 games !

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
hahaha now who's manipulating the stats to prove their point!!

I thought he scored 1 in every 2 games?

Sorry if the stats show a run of 16 games scoring in just 4 games and also a run of 17 games, in the same season, scoring in just 5 games does prove the point he was a consistent goal scorer, slightly incorrect. My point was he's not a consistent performer. Your facts seem to prove that.

Selling Ulloa was probably the best piece of business the club have ever done. Hemed managed to equal Ulloa's goals tally in that last season in just his first season and he doesn't even get in to our starting 11 now. It baffles me that people are suggesting we should bring Ulloa back.

Last edited:

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna

Sorry if the stats show a run of 16 games scoring in just 4 games and also a run of 17 games, in the same season, scoring in just 5 games does prove the point he was a consistent goal scorer, slightly incorrect. My point was he's not a consistent performer. Your facts seem to prove that.

Selling Ulloa was probably the best piece of business the club have ever done. Hemed managed to equal Ulloa's goals tally in that last season in just his first season and he doesn't even get in to our starting 11 now. It baffles me that people are suggesting we should bring Ulloa back.

If we are going to sped some dosh we will be looking for a younger player with a resale value that could cut it in the Premier League. Ulloa stats say 40% goals per 90 minutes. No resale value. I think Glenn Murray is actually a better player. Currently on form though.

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011

TBH I agree that there's no real need for him in the current squad. I was just picking apart the stats thing. He's a good striker but I personally think Murray is better.

Sorry for the stat pedantry, I was just a bit bored.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
You know what people are referring to when they quote a goal to game ratio :)

His stats aren't too dissimilar to Murrays.

http://www.espnfc.co.uk/player/46553/glenn-murray?season=2010

And he actually had a 21 game run where he only scored 4 goals. See what I did there?

No-ones claiming Murray's a consistent goal scorer who scores in every 2nd game though?

Murray's overall game, not to mention his first touch, is a lot better and more effective than Ulloa's. Murray and Zamora are the 2 best strikers I've seen at this club. If only they'd played together. Match made in heaven.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
I liked Leo too. Leo was good on a team with Lua-Lua, CMS, Teixeira, Ince, Upson, Colunga, Holla, JFC, O'Grady, Chicksen, Bridcutt, Andrews, Halford, etc. (yes, I know some of those chaps didn't play with Ulloa but it shows the quality he was better than) Leo might help a side with his enthusiasm also but adding quality to this team wouldn't happen with Leo.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here