Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ulloa flag

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
One thing to bare in mind, is that the outcome of the Falklands War led to the overthrow of the Argentinian military government. Galtieri resigned, and a new democratic government elected. The people hated their rulers that not only invaded the Falklands, but prior to that had undertaken the 'dirty war' against it's own people. Let's be clear, it was a brutal regime.

To my mind, we've actually invaded foreign countries to try to instigate democracy (often with spurious claims!), and in some ways, this was also achieved indirectly with the defeat of Argentina in the Falklands.

This wasn't a democratic sovereign state invading an island, it was a vicious military led dictatorship.

That 30 years later, the current Argentinian government feel the need to lay claim to the islands through diplomatic channels upsets me less than US foreign policy if I am perfectly honest.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I have just scan read this thread and want to clarify is there or is there not spare money from the stand or fall banner money? And who is the person that collected this?

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
To create a balance , why not have a Falkland Islands flag too ?

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
[MENTION=2934]tomysupercup[/MENTION] was the man organising the stand or fall banner. I've dropped him a message on twitter directing him to this thread.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
It's a tough ask.

Love Ullao but not super comfy with the flag, in both political and footballing terms.

Ullao on The Martlets, perhaps?

Please, get a life.

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
One thing to bare in mind, is that the outcome of the Falklands War led to the overthrow of the Argentinian military government. Galtieri resigned, and a new democratic government elected. The people hated their rulers that not only invaded the Falklands, but prior to that had undertaken the 'dirty war' against it's own people. Let's be clear, it was a brutal regime.

To my mind, we've actually invaded foreign countries to try to instigate democracy (often with spurious claims!), and in some ways, this was also achieved indirectly with the defeat of Argentina in the Falklands.

This wasn't a democratic sovereign state invading an island, it was a vicious military led dictatorship.

That 30 years later, the current Argentinian government feel the need to lay claim to the islands through diplomatic channels upsets me less than US foreign policy if I am perfectly honest.

Sums it up nicely. :thumbsup:

Bruntburger

Mar 9, 2009
Peacehaven
Great flag! Ulloa would love it and it would show that we, football supporters are not politicians and hold no grudge against any Individual regardless of where they were born.

Edit - Unless born in Croydon and the surrounding area.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Great flag! Ulloa would love it and it would show that we, football supporters are not politicians and hold no grudge against any Individual regardless of where they were born.

It wont show anything of the sort. It will simply show our love for him. Personally, I'd like the banner with him standing on a load of squashed mangled Eagles.

Was not Was

Loitering with intent
Jul 31, 2003
I refer the honourable gentleman to post #91. We are not in a current dispute over British Territory with any of the countries you mention.

Yeah, but that's got nothing to do with Al using his nation's flag as backdrop to an Albion flag.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I have just scan read this thread and want to clarify is there or is there not spare money from the stand or fall banner money? And who is the person that collected this?

[MENTION=2934]tomysupercup[/MENTION] dropped me a PM last night, part of which is below. He'll provide some further detail in due course...

"Someone mentioned there had been a thread asking about flag money. I'll respond in full later in the week when I get the chance but the intention was to get a giant flag printed. The designs for this are being worked on and are at an advanced stage. The idea being to get 3 or 4 different designs up and ask people to vote like the stand or fall banner designs.

I've had a few quotes done and its looking like we would still need to raise quite a bit of money (even with the money that was raised previously)"

Winker

CUM ON FEEL THE NOIZE
Jul 14, 2008
The Astral Planes, man...
If we had flags for every nationality playing for the Seagulls then no-one would be able to see the pitch, there would just be a sea of multi-coloured fabric waving around the stands. Why not just have a single 'Team Albion' flag, different versions could be written in Spanish and English and Egyptian and Scots gaelic and Norwegian and - oh hang on!

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
If we had flags for every nationality playing for the Seagulls then no-one would be able to see the pitch, there would just be a sea of multi-coloured fabric waving around the stands. Why not just have a single 'Team Albion' flag, different versions could be written in Spanish and English and Egyptian and Scots gaelic and Norwegian and - oh hang on!

It's a bit different for players coming to the uk for the first time to play for Brighton I think. Makes it kinda special that they come to us.

Baron Pepperpot

Jul 26, 2012
Brighton
Not that long ago i recall sitting listening to the Falklands war unfold on the radio,FIND WAVING THE ARGENTINE FLAG ONE STEP TO FAR:(

That was when most folk wondered how Argentinian forces had managed to get to the edge of Scotland without being noticed....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here