Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ulloa flag

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I wondered how long it would be before someone mentioned the Falklands...

Spain has a territorial claim over Gibralter...

That's the same sort of thing isn't it ?

We are not at war with Argentina, are very unlikely to be at anytime in the future, and only were because of a failed junta who wanted to prop up their popularity.

The fact that some have brought Ulloa into this already shames the maturity of this forum. The fact that some would wave the home flag of his country, which would please him no end- and not in the understanding that it was a declaration of support for Argentina's claim over a stick of rock 300 miles away-is heartening. However, Argentinians have the right to their beliefs.

Time for some folks to grow up

They've not invaded us and killed British troops in the last 30 years have they.
With Argentina I do mix politics and football.
The Falklands and Argentina's desire to maintain the animosity doesn't sit right.
Neither does Maradonna and 2002.

All leaving me with less than charitable feeling towards Argentina.
I guess it rubs against my stiff upper lip sense of English fair play, village greens, and real ale, wot wot.

I'm a Falklands Veteran. I have no problem with the flag. It would make Leo feel welcome.

But I bow to Smudge's superior capacity to be a better person.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
With Argentina I do mix politics and football.
The Falklands and Argentina's desire to maintain the animosity doesn't sit right.
Neither does Maradonna and 2002.

All leaving me with less than charitable feeling towards Argentina.
I guess it rubs against my stiff upper lip sense of English fair play, village greens, and real ale, wot wot.

All that doesn't really have much to do with Leo Ulloa though, does it? Go to Argentina, you'll change your view. The best country I've ever visited, with the nicest people I've ever come across. And the fittest women.

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach

We are not at war with Argentina, are very unlikely to be at anytime in the future, and only were because of a failed junta who wanted to prop up their popularity.

The fact that some have brought Ulloa into this already shames the maturity of this forum. The fact that some would wave the home flag of his country, which would please him no end- and not in the understanding that it was a declaration of support for Argentina's claim over a stick of rock 300 miles away-is heartening. However, Argentinians have the right to their beliefs.

You do realise that Ulloa is Argentinian and is living in our country don't you?

This flag would be to make HIM feel like part of the club, nothing to do with politics at all.

We shouldn't let Politics and Football mix, we have seen from Scotland and continental Europe how badly that looks. I would definitely back the flag here, we are a football club and should get behind all our players without prejudice to nationality or anything else.

Seagulls!!

I'm a Falklands Veteran. I have no problem with the flag. It would make Leo feel welcome.

Its a flag to support our Argentinian player, not the bloody country :facepalm:

People take everything so bloody seriously - i think the flag is great myself and id be more than happy to see it at the Amex.

On the topic of flags, where did that Spanish one in the SW Corner with DAVE on it go ? Havent seen it for a while now.

Is NSC turning into The Sun? Flag will make a great addition to our stadium.

This is predominantly a FOOTBALL FORUM, can't you leave your political agendas out?
If we signed a German player, would any of you be against having a German flag in the stadium..? (Edit: Beaten to that point by D'Angelo Saxon!)

I'm all for the flag as it is in support of a single footballer not the whole of Argentina or its government.

NSC never fails to amaze me. Reminds me of my parents going on about bloody Germans, you can't trust them, and the Japs, don't you know what those cruel *******s did to our boys :facepalm:

We've probably had an axe to grind with any nation you care to think of at some point in history.

Objecting to that flag doesn't constitute 'bringing politics into it', it just constitutes just blatant stupidity. I would LOVE to see Argentina flags all over. Apart from anything else, they go well with the Uruguayan and Spanish ones.

It's football. It his country. It's fine.

All that doesn't really have much to do with Leo Ulloa though, does it? Go to Argentina, you'll change your view. The best country I've ever visited, with the nicest people I've ever come across. And the fittest women.

So many thises (sp), so little time.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1

Well said.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
All of which is completely correct, and I fully understand my position has more holes than Swiss cheese (don't get me started on the Swiss :lol:)
I guess the 3 events in question generated animosity from an age when I was just beginning to view the world, through to a time when I could still (just about) be manipulated by 'tabloid' news.

I'm a bigger and better person now (certainly bigger better is doubtful) but the Argentina feelings still run deep.

As said though, if Smudge doesn't have a problem I really should let this one go.

rocker959

Jan 22, 2011
Plovdiv Bulgaria
Ulloa chose to come to BHAFC so he deserves his flag as uncomfortable as that particular flag is with us in the UK . I lost a friend Chris Lovet (Para) on final night of the Falklands war as did many others lose Sons , friends and family from both nations in a conflict started by a juncta/government who continue to stir the people up for votes.Leo should have his flag inmho.

If we'd signed a German international, would you object to a German flag? Is it just the Falklands was more recent?
Germany is now a peaceful nation that is no longer a threat to it's neighbours or the world. Argentina is still a threat to the Falklands and no surrender or cease-fire has ever been signed. Your argument is irrelevent. I support Leo as a player but never the Argentinian flag and what it represents, change it to Brighton blue with the club badge in the middle and I would be all for it.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Nice one Al, good effort. I'd be happy to see that at the Amex.

If people object to the flag then they should not be celebrating the man either, a very disappointing attitude. By the same token maybe we shouldn't enjoy german beer or sushi either.

I honestly thought the British had thicker skins and bigger hearts than this.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Germany is now a peaceful nation that is no longer a threat to it's neighbours or the world. Argentina is still a threat to the Falklands and no surrender or cease-fire has ever been signed. Your argument is irrelevent. I support Leo as a player but never the Argentinian flag and what it represents, change it to Brighton blue with the club badge in the middle and I would be all for it.

Totally agree with all this.

Anyone trying to compare the Germans, French or Japanese in this are just too dumb to understand the point.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
All of which is completely correct, and I fully understand my position has more holes than Swiss cheese (don't get me started on the Swiss :lol:)
I guess the 3 events in question generated animosity from an age when I was just beginning to view the world, through to a time when I could still (just about) be manipulated by 'tabloid' news.

I'm a bigger and better person now (certainly bigger better is doubtful) but the Argentina feelings still run deep.

Don't get me wrong, I totally agree with you re Argentina and the Falklands. I just don't see what that has to do with Leo, seeing as he wasn't even born then.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Don't get me wrong, I totally agree with you re Argentina and the Falklands. I just don't see what that has to do with Leo, seeing as he wasn't even born then.
Nothing, I'm trying to explain my irrational response to the Argentinian flag.

Had I been born 10 years earlier or later we wouldn't be having the conversation now, as I'd have either been too young or old enough to know better.

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
Think its very good, but I always thought united fans were twats when they had argie flags and I think other fans may think the same, but I guess fu*k 'em

United's stance was pro Argentine and anti England (the national team and its supporters) due largely to the treatment Beckham received after the Simeone sending off. This is just a flag to show appreciation for Ulloa who happens to be Argentine.

TheDuke

Oct 28, 2011
Arundel
Well, I'm glad some people like the flag design thing. :)

If Mr Large would donate his design in artwork form, I would be more than pleased to act as organiser and distributor of the said flags. I could get some quotes, take orders at cost, and distribute at cost. We would need to finalise a size. Is this of any interest chaps and chapesses?

TheDuke

Oct 28, 2011
Arundel
If Mr Large would donate his design in artwork form, I would be more than pleased to act as organiser and distributor of the said flags. I could get some quotes, take orders at cost, and distribute at cost. We would need to finalise a size. Is this of any interest chaps and chapesses?

Perhaps this needs a separate thread (Bozza?)

grawhite

Jul 6, 2011
Brighton
I cant believe the morons who think the flag of Argentina would be seen as a disgrace, I never fought in the Falklands war but have fought in the most recent campaigns in the middle east. The nationality of the player and the flag should not stop this idea going into print.

Its about time people grew up, unless you were actually involved in the Falklands then shut-up.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here