[Travel] ULEZ Booooooooooo

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I got done driving to Stratford to see the Abba Voyage show. From Ulez Booo to Voulez-Vous in a matter of minutes 😥

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Not sure how paying £12 a day is going to reduce the air quality. If they are really that concerned it would be a no you cannot bring that vehicle into London.
Thousands of planes flying very low in and out of West London/East London daily seems more of a pollution risk than Johns ten year old transit.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Not sure how paying £12 a day is going to reduce the air quality. If they are really that concerned it would be a no you cannot bring that vehicle into London.
Thousands of planes flying very low in and out of West London/East London daily seems more of a pollution risk than Johns ten year old transit.
You might be amazed how charging unthinking motorists £12 a day would change their behaviour, maybe focus their minds a little before just jumping in their two ton pollution generator for a trip to the shops. Supermarkets charging 5p a carrier bag reduced usage by about 85% overnight :wave:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I've got a Voulez Vous earworm in my head now thanks to this thread title.

Sake.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
You might be amazed how charging unthinking motorists £12 a day would change their behaviour, maybe focus their minds a little before just jumping in their two ton pollution generator for a trip to the shops. Supermarkets charging 5p a carrier bag reduced usage by about 85% overnight :wave:
was it the 5p charge or the supermarkets stopped having carrier bags? i recall the number of "bag-for-life" rocketed and total amount of plastic increased as a result. of course the £12 charge will work a fair bit around the edges, with shops near the boundrysee trade drop. it wont stop the sort that pop to the shops from doing so, they'll just go to different shops, even if further away.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
This :clap2:
I'm all for the idea of ULEZ.
But I still feel for the people who have you change their vehicles that they use for their businesses.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
The good thing about planes is they move around at several 100/1000 m above ground where no on lives, or walks and emissions can be quick to disperse. Would be more of an issue if they were flying around 1 m above ground...

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The good thing about planes is they move around at several 100/1000 m above ground where no on lives, or walks and emissions can be quick to disperse. Would be more of an issue if they were flying around 1 m above ground...
Not for Warwick Davies.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
And that's what makes me laugh and pisses me off in equal measure. It was a Johnson Mayoral policy to introduce the one currently in place and a lot of voters were for it. Then all of a sudden they want to expand it and it'll now affect same voters and they're screaming foul, it's a conspiracy to bring in pay per mile blah blah blah. Will it make a huge difference? Only time will tell, but better than doing bugger all.
The Johnson policy was to introduce it in central London where public transport goes everywhere. Expanding it to the suburbs where public transport is more patchy, is more of a problem.

The other issue of course is the tiny signs as mentioned in the OP, which if you don't see them means a £180 fine. That's pure profiteering. A fairer way would be to send a bill with a maximum £5 admin fee and only if that's ignored could you ramp it up to big money.

And it doesn't help that numerous places have their own different rules. Manchester has signs up saying that there may be a charge for certain vehicles entering the city or its suburbs, but doesn't say which vehicles and also doesn't say that it has not yet been introduced. Unless you know the area well, you need to either go home a google everywhere you've been, or else you need to be ready for a swingeing bill.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
It would definitely be an issue if they were flying 1m above the ground. A bit of pollution would be the least of our worries.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Great news today.

All the hoo-ha will blow over, only effects 10% of vehicles and was for once the Tories came up with a great idea, credit to Labour for delivering on it.

A few round the edges aren't happy, but they've had plenty of time to change their vehicle.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Just buy one of these then

If you receive the sort of threats he does, I'm quite happy he has one.

He's become one of the targets of the extreme right wing scum that infest Twitter, most of whom don't even live in London. Many Trump supporters in the USA as well.

The very people the Tories have mobilised during their inevitable death cycle towards at least a decade in the wilderness.

He'll probably need protection for life. Why? Because he is a prominent UK politician who happens to be a Muslim.

The absolute state of this country.

Last edited:

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
The Johnson policy was to introduce it in central London where public transport goes everywhere. Expanding it to the suburbs where public transport is more patchy, is more of a problem.

The other issue of course is the tiny signs as mentioned in the OP, which if you don't see them means a £180 fine. That's pure profiteering. A fairer way would be to send a bill with a maximum £5 admin fee and only if that's ignored could you ramp it up to big money.

And it doesn't help that numerous places have their own different rules. Manchester has signs up saying that there may be a charge for certain vehicles entering the city or its suburbs, but doesn't say which vehicles and also doesn't say that it has not yet been introduced. Unless you know the area well, you need to either go home a google everywhere you've been, or else you need to be ready for a swingeing bill.

"patchy"

Dear oh dear. You should try rural Sussex.

Those "suburbs" tend to attract a "cake and eat it" minority who want the benefit of public transport but still want to drive around as well.

It's a do as I like when I like typical Tory base. f*** everyone else unless that everyone else is me.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Great news today.

All the hoo-ha will blow over, only effects 10% of vehicles and was for once the Tories came up with a great idea, credit to Labour for delivering on it.

A few round the edges aren't happy, but they've had plenty of time to change their vehicle.
whoever is promotting ULEZ need to do a better job at explaining only 10% of vehicles that will use the zone are liable for the charge

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports