Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ulcerative Colitis

sebtucknott

Aug 22, 2011
Shoreham-by-Sea
I have suffered from Colits for 4 years now, I try and get on with my life a deal with what it throws at me.
I've been suffering with a bad cold for a couple of weeks and it makes me think maybe it affects me more than I let on.

Just wanted to see if there were any other sufferers on here, I'm yet to meet someone else with it and I think it would be good to chat with other people about it and how it affects likewise I'm sure I can offer advice too!

Aseros

Banned
Jun 6, 2011
My dad and Sister both have it.

It;s genetic, whenever i feel really sick (cramps in colon area or around there) I get extremely scared that I could have it too (the pain is unbearable sometimes). My dad only found out last year, was in hospital for 2 weeks after collapsing. It can very close to removing his colon and attaching one of those bags, buttttt the infection he had healed. Still a good chance in the future though.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
my wife has colitis following a case of (hospital acquired) c.difficile. It's a bitch and you have my unreserved sympathy.

sebtucknott

Aug 22, 2011
Shoreham-by-Sea
My dad and Sister both have it.

It;s genetic, whenever i feel really sick (cramps in colon area or around there) I get extremely scared that I could have it too (the pain is unbearable sometimes). My dad only found out last year, was in hospital for 2 weeks after collapsing. It can very close to removing his colon and attaching one of those bags, buttttt the infection he had healed. Still a good chance in the future though.

Im not sure it in entirely genetic, I don't have any history of it in my family that I'm aware of. I think I can slightly increase your chances of it.

I was in hospital for two weeks too in similar circumstances. Really would avoid surgery route would prefer to sit on the toilet than have a "bag"

Do they go to the football?

Last edited:

Willy Dangle

Aug 31, 2011
Occasionally (twice a month ish) I awake with a bloated stomach and constant abdominal pain. It is difficult to pin point the pain but it is tender from stomach down to testy's. It feels as if I need to pass something but never do. The pain starts mild and builds to be quite painful and then eventually fades away, it can last for hours. The Doctor could not diagnose anything and so I put it down to good old constipation but I'm not convinced.

Anyone else?

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
Occasionally (twice a month ish) I awake with a bloated stomach and constant abdominal pain. It is difficult to pin point the pain but it is tender from stomach down to testy's. It feels as if I need to pass something but never do. The pain starts mild and builds to be quite painful and then eventually fades away, it can last for hours. The Doctor could not diagnose anything and so I put it down to good old constipation but I'm not convinced.

Anyone else?
Is it when you eat something in particular? Some times you can develop intolerance later in life to certain food. I believe statistically it is wheat that people do, but who knows.

Willy Dangle

Aug 31, 2011
Is it when you eat something in particular? Some times you can develop intolerance later in life to certain food. I believe statistically it is wheat that people do, but who knows.

Not really, I had it for years and used to think it was when I ate high fat meals but it can happen anytime. I would however say that it is more often when I have over indulged.

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
Im not sure it in entirely genetic, I don't have any history of it in my family that I'm aware of. I think I can slightly increase your chances of it.

I was in hospital for two weeks too in similar circumstances. Really would avoid surgery route would prefer to sit on the toilet than have a "bag"

Do they go to the football?

I don't personally suffer but am close to it with partner or rather her children (now grown up)

In this case it is clearly hereditary and it is a complete b-----. Control of diet is pretty essential with anything containing flour or gluten an absolute no no. The eldest 'step son' now 39 does his best with it by avoiding anything controversial. He majors in Fish and rice but chicken or beef, whilst fine, needs to be untainted, ie no sauces. No alcohol ! poor sod.

Steroids from time to time if things get bad.

seagullsslimjim

Sep 26, 2003
I've suffered with Ulcerative Colitis for 23 years having got it when i was 20. Woke up one morning and thought i'd be stabbed in the abdomen the pain was so bad

There is no proven genetic link - whatever others have posted and may be linked to paratuberculosis. This is one of many dormant germs that most people carry but is activated in the teens for some.

I lost most of my social life in my 20's to this illness. At that time i didn't really know how to hit it on the head medication wise and judged bounced along the bottom.

Just couldn't face a bag and so have been on Prednisolone (and others) permanently - Upto about 115,000 tablets

Stress is the major factor in flairing things up, followed by the cold (get 24 hours chills at the drop of a hat) and also too many beere if regular. Winter is worse as you are generally run down.

Each person is different due to how severe they get it. My whole colon is infected but it can be lower and milder.

If the original poster wants to message me then feel free as i know over the years how to hit it on the head - with me its through steroids which take their toll long term but you have a normal life apart from bruisng like a peach through thin skin and insomia weird and wired dreams! I've just had a year on 2 other forms of medication running parallel to steroids but they didn't help and i'm still trying to get back to normal from Spring 2011

Shegull

Jul 7, 2003
On a Bed of Roses

Anyone else?

Get yourself tested for diverticular disease. I was diagnosed with it last year. Have to stay on high fibre diet continuously. Lots of things I can't take but its worth it not to suffer anymore

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
My missus had it real bad 20 years ago - tried everything before sucummbing to surgury.
Initially an illeostomy [aka the bag] followed 2 years later by a reversal - pouch created out of salvavgeable large intestine.
For 15 years now, she has been in better health than the previous 20. Okay, the poo is frequent and loose, but at least she shits now rather than just leaking blood. It's serious stuff, but there is an alternative. PM me if you want more details / advice etc. I'm sure she'd be happy to explain stuff to you if you have questions.

beefypigeon

Aug 14, 2008
I suffer from Crohn's Disease. Thankfully it's pretty well controlled these days. I think it probably does tire me out quite a lot.

Pretty much exactly this for me too! I've had operations and been on nearly every drug possible, but at the moment the one I'm on seems to be doing the trick :) Actually getting back to playing football this week for the first time in about a year and a half!!

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
I don't mean to be flipant but I had it for years and it walked out along with my first wife,I do not have any stresssssssssssssssssssssss now and its well OK
wish I could say the same for the rest of me

Jim Van Winkle

Jul 14, 2010
Hawaii
I have suffered from Colits for 4 years now, I try and get on with my life a deal with what it throws at me.
I've been suffering with a bad cold for a couple of weeks and it makes me think maybe it affects me more than I let on.

Just wanted to see if there were any other sufferers on here, I'm yet to meet someone else with it and I think it would be good to chat with other people about it and how it affects likewise I'm sure I can offer advice too!

I've suffered from Crohn's disease from the age of 11 am now 30. Had a ileostomy and a reversal at the age of 17. Before the surgery i had my worst flare up was pumped full of steriods and my body didn't respond. My weight ended up dropping to 7 1/2 stone before my bowel exploded and then they operated. Even had the priest round to give me my last rites. My quality of life (knock on wood) has been better since the surgery. Have been on constant medication since with the odd flare up. But never as bad as the one before the surgery. The only down side is using the bathroom 3-4 times a day and losing my hair through the side effects of the medication. But i can take that for a relatively normal life.

My younger brother who is 24 was diagnosed with Crohn's as well last year and had to have a bag fitted straight away. He has really struggled emotionally to come to terms with the illness. It's been a big adjustment in his life from someone who was constantly out boozing and partying to totally changing his lifestyle from not drinking, not smoking and changing his diet.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here