Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

UK's new name if Scotland breakaway?

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Scotland will ultimately want to stay part of the UK, we subsidise most of their public services and welfare, they simply cannot afford to be independent. Mind you, they are pretty rash lot and my just vote to go it alone, in which case they will soon regret it what with mny places in Scotchland being some of the poorest in the UK. I say we vote to jettison the scrounging alcy's asap!

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
, it would instantly reduce the tax payer burden enough to pull us out of recession and start building a world class economy, something we will never have while we carry the likes of the aforementioned parasites around on our backs. It's about time England had a referendum on withdrawing from the UK.

How do you work that one out then...The majority of natural resources would be in Scottish territory.

In all seriousness, what does England have to offer to the world that it can generate profit from other than luxury good.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
How do you work that one out then...The majority of natural resources would be in Scottish territory.

In all seriousness, what does England have to offer to the world that it can generate profit from other than luxury good.

World Class aerospace, pharmaceutical and motor vehicle manufacturing?

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Whisky Galore!

Why can't they (Wet Socks) have all the land above Hadrian's Wall? It's not fair that they take just the good bits of Scotland i.e. Dundee marmalade and a few bridges.

Last edited:

fataddick

Feb 6, 2004
The seaside.

England subisidises Scotland to the tune of around £20 billion a year. What natural resources, a bit of oil and gas? The rest of Scotland is just mountains, ones that are too cold to even keep sheep on.

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
I have a lot of Scottish clients and yet to meet one who is in favour of independence. The SNP's only hope is by lowering the voting age to 16 they will benefit from the rebellious teenager vote (but let's be honest most wont bother getting out of bed)

Absolutely, which is why Labour amended the 2017 EU referendum to all them (and incidentally all EU residents) to vote in that referendum.

The interesting point about this whole circus though is that Salmond is not even offering the scots independence. If he was they would be advocating the creation of their own currency...............he unequivocally wrote off this option and said Scotland would keep the pound and maybe go for the euro in due course.

Use of either currency cannot represent genuine independence................its either more of the same by being in the UK or being told what to do by the Germans.

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
Why would they want to break away ?Under The last few Labour Goverments top jobs were mostly filled by Scot's thus ruling the Country and laughing at us English,It will happen again.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
But for Salmond, Scottish independence has been his lifelong aim, it's his raison d'être, his purpose for getting up in the morning. He's argued for a vote for years, he's campaigned and campaigned, got his face & his flag all over the media.

If, after all that, and the millions spent on the vote, the population turn round and, by some majority, say "Och, nae ta", what does he do then? What would be the point?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I don't think the Scots will vote for independence. Politically, you wonder whether it would spell the end for New Labour. Without all those Scottish Labour seats you've got to believe they'd struggle to win a majority in any future election. There's already a big question mark over their funding with union money set to be slashed.

With Scottish independence I see the formation of a new "Whig" party forming within 10 years.

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
Glad to see many others on this thread share my view. I'm pro English independence. Third world countries like Scotland, Wales, the Six Counties, Gibraltar, the Falklands etc cost us a fortune in subsidies and upkeep. If England declared independence from them, it would instantly reduce the tax payer burden enough to pull us out of recession and start building a world class economy, something we will never have while we carry the likes of the aforementioned parasites around on our backs. It's about time England had a referendum on withdrawing from the UK.

Amen brother.

ozseagull

Jun 27, 2013
You reckon?

Genuine question, I haven't paid much attention so far, thus I don't know what the likely outcome is.

They would be foolish to go it alone, and most Scots are fully aware of that. I know a few very proud Scots who aren't England's biggest fans and even they can see it would be a silly move.

The two KINGDOMS of Scotland and England were united well before the two NATIONS were. Separation of the state of Scotland wouldn't mean the collapse of the United Kingdom. HM the Q would still be Queen of Scotland.

But the question remains:- What would the nation of England, Wales and Northern Ireland call itself? South Britain? The United States of England, Wales and Northern Ireland?

fataddick

Feb 6, 2004
The seaside.
The two KINGDOMS of Scotland and England were united well before the two NATIONS were. Separation of the state of Scotland wouldn't mean the collapse of the United Kingdom. HM the Q would still be Queen of Scotland.

Technically yes, but she ain't interested is she, that's why she fobbed off Scotland on Prince Philip and Wales on Charles 50-plus years ago.

Canonman

Apr 14, 2011
If there was a vote for independence a lot of Scots would flood over the border to England, we would probably have to set up camps to house them.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
I don't think the Scots will vote for independence. Politically, you wonder whether it would spell the end for New Labour. Without all those Scottish Labour seats you've got to believe they'd struggle to win a majority in any future election. There's already a big question mark over their funding with union money set to be slashed.

With Scottish independence I see the formation of a new "Whig" party forming within 10 years.

I suspect an English Labour party would eventually become a Gaitskelll/Blair position type party, possibly falling into bed with the progressive parts of the Lib Dems.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here