Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

UKIP were right about Europe all along!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I'm really sorry but I don't believe this. Can you provide any evidence that it isn't just one more straight banana story?

Must be an urban myth.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
We wouldn't be having this debate if all these lazy scroungers would just get a job .

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Location is a bit deceptive. Not the right thread but we could learn a thing or three from the immigration policies of NZ and Australia. Back in the UK for now and yes looking at state of many things like the EU and mass uncontrolled unskilled immigration, radical islam and the liblabcon maybe it was not the right move. However, at least the Albion are top of the league :)

I think we could learn more from Germanys immigration policy, but eah to their own

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
"cost of sorting, delivery, liability" - this is the usual argument isn't it, followed by "passed onto the customer". My take with this sort of response it that it's plain lazy, and there will no doubt be a more responsible, imaginative and efficient company to step in snd take your place. And surely we want to encourage "more responsible, imaginative and efficient" business as it benefits everyone .

a more responsible, efficient method would be of course to reduce waste and dump the marginal amount that is left over. like any business, supermarkets dont plan to buy stock they wont sell, so i'd imagine they are as efficient as they think they can be. setting a law to pass on some of this waste wont adress 100% of it, some simply wont be consumable. and you seem to have ignored the problems the charities face, dealing with excess they have to dump it instead. or are they just being lazy too?

Last edited:

French Seagull

Jul 30, 2014
France
Sad that society needs food banks and yes not all charities are perfect.

I also don't have a problem with giving waste to those in need, for whatever reason. (doesn't it make sense?)

The biggest waste of food is by us the consumer apparently,

Pleased to be part of Europe but as someone stated we need to renegotiate, not sure UKIP had the answers.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Fears are growing in the British supermarket industry about the possible introduction of a backwards European law. But I'm pretty sure the Torries will protect the interests of British businesses, thus protecting us all. Get this in France they have a law that means excessive food that is perfectly edible and can't be sold, can't be put in a bin and covered with bleach! It has to and here is the sickening part, given to charities!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-33907737

Works really well :thumbsup:

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
John Oliver did a section of his show covering food waste in America. What people forget is that it will cost businesses money to arrange for the sorting, collection, and distribution of perfectly edible unsaleable food. They have to pay staff and cost and storage etc. In America there is a temporary tax incentive, that would allow them to write off the costs, but as it is temporary a lot of business don't do it because the incentive may be taken away leaving them with a hefty cost.

My point is, while it is admirable and makes sense to donate these foods, what about the (not insubstantial) costs?

And in the scheme of things what an insignificant little point it is too.

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
Remember the last time we talked about superstores on NSC we got published in the daily mail! How is the 99p store doing in HH?

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
I always thought it was kind of strange that a Conservative Prime Minister signed us into Europe.

What could have possibly convinced Edward Heath to do such a thing?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
a more responsible, efficient method would be of course to reduce waste and dump the marginal amount that is left over. like any business, supermarkets dont plan to buy stock they wont sell, so i'd imagine they are as efficient as they think they can be. setting a law to pass on some of this waste wont adress 100% of it, some simply wont be consumable. and you seem to have ignored the problems the charities face, dealing with excess they have to dump it instead. or are they just being lazy too?

Are these really issues? Food banks currently seem to be able to handle food so I don't see why some extra stuff from Tescos will cause problems. Your points seem more like excuses. If Tesco can get a banana from half-way around the world into your fruit bowl they can surely re-route some waste to the local food bank.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Are these really issues? Food banks currently seem to be able to handle food so I don't see why some extra stuff from Tescos will cause problems. Your points seem more like excuses..

they arent mine, they are concerns raised by the French charities and supermarkets in the article. they are issues that need to be addressed.

Honky Tonx

Jun 9, 2014
Lewes
I always thought it was kind of strange that a Conservative Prime Minister signed us into Europe.

What was the age of consent in Europe in those days?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I know someone who works for Greggs the bakers. They used to give all their excess food to the homeless at the end of the day but got sued as one of them got a burnt mouth from a sausage roll. Now they have to bin it all.

Crazy times we live in folks.

Load of rubbish. No evidence anywhere that this is true!

fork me

I have changed this
Oct 22, 2003
Gate 3, Limassol, Cyprus
John Oliver did a section of his show covering food waste in America. What people forget is that it will cost businesses money to arrange for the sorting, collection, and distribution of perfectly edible unsaleable food. They have to pay staff and cost and storage etc. In America there is a temporary tax incentive, that would allow them to write off the costs, but as it is temporary a lot of business don't do it because the incentive may be taken away leaving them with a hefty cost.

My point is, while it is admirable and makes sense to donate these foods, what about the (not insubstantial) costs?

Yesm because the big supermarket chains are so poor they can;t afford it. [/sarcasm]

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012

Because it was a good idea.

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
did anyone actually read the article? its only just come in over in France and the only person speculating this will come here at this point is the journalist. the problems are many for both the supermarket (cost of sorting, delivery, liability) and the charity (infrastructure to receive, storage, collection, disposal). it doesn't address the main source of food waste, the consumer (and unsaid in the article, over production in some cases). its a good example of well intentioned law that doesnt concern itself with implementation.

I would imagine all of those points aren't insurmountable and solutions as in most cases will be as simple or difficult as either side wishes to make it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here