Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

UKIP & the anti-fascist lot

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Isn't Farage a rather Arabic sounding name for a leader of a UK Independence Party?

No its a Scottish name

Yes.

According to Gugenheim the origin of the name comes from Arabic Farache, Faradj, Farag, and Faraj, which, depending where the family stayed, took the form of Farachi, Farage, Faraggi, Faragi, Fraggi, Fragi Faragie, Farach, Farash, Faradchi, Faradji and Faraci.

The name Farag is found for the first time in the 9th century in Sicily (merchants). In the 13th century a physician to Charles I king of Anjou, Moses ben Solomon Farag translated from Arabic a medical book. In the Spanish book of Bonnin "Sangre Judia" (Jewish Blood), Barcelona, Flor Del Viento Ediciones (1998) which includes a list of names found at the Santo Officio of the Inquisition, for Jews or new-Christian (15th and 16th centuries) the names Farach and Farache are listed.
Mathilde Tagger who provided the above information wrote

"This information of Farach and/or Farache in Spanish archives shows that the Spanish Farache, pronounced there as Faratshay (?' is used for the transliteration of CH=TSH and DJ, the final E is transliterated in Hebrew by the letter Yod. From A. Laredo, "Les noms de Juifs du Maroc", Madrid 1978), and the name Faraggi as Faradji.

Dandyman

In London village.

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
Yes.

According to Gugenheim the origin of the name comes from Arabic Farache, Faradj, Farag, and Faraj, which, depending where the family stayed, took the form of Farachi, Farage, Faraggi, Faragi, Fraggi, Fragi Faragie, Farach, Farash, Faradchi, Faradji and Faraci.

The name Farag is found for the first time in the 9th century in Sicily (merchants). In the 13th century a physician to Charles I king of Anjou, Moses ben Solomon Farag translated from Arabic a medical book. In the Spanish book of Bonnin "Sangre Judia" (Jewish Blood), Barcelona, Flor Del Viento Ediciones (1998) which includes a list of names found at the Santo Officio of the Inquisition, for Jews or new-Christian (15th and 16th centuries) the names Farach and Farache are listed.

"This information of Farach and/or Farache in Spanish archives shows that the Spanish Farache, pronounced there as Faratshay (?' is used for the transliteration of CH=TSH and DJ, the final E is transliterated in Hebrew by the letter Yod. From A. Laredo, "Les noms de Juifs du Maroc", Madrid 1978), and the name Faraggi as Faradji.
Thanks google.

redhill seagull 66

May 25, 2012
Yes.

According to house of names.com it comes from the hebrides,and comes from the scottish surname macfergus

Dandyman

In London village.

Dandyman

In London village.
did i say some thing wrong then ??? .......................... no thought not :wink:
regards
DR

Have you actually got the ability to construct an argument or seriously debate a point of view ? There are right-wingers on here who can and who deserve an appropriate response. Your attention seeking drivel would be tiresome from a small child from a middle aged man it is frankly just a bit sad.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Have a look at the UKIP political programme - Farage is a far right nutter, the only benefit of UKIP is that it will reduce the Tory vote even more than the Bullers Boys will.

There are adults talking, come back when you have something intelligent to add to the conversation.

You do realise Labour are losing votes to UKIP as well ? I find it peculiar that the left slag off UKIP so much - it only drives many people to UKIP. Obviously rational political arguments are beyond the left wing otherwise they would use them rather than the childish name calling you and others tend to use !

redhill seagull 66

May 25, 2012
You do realise Labour are losing votes to UKIP as well ? I find it peculiar that the left slag off UKIP so much - it only drives many people to UKIP. Obviously rational political arguments are beyond the left wing otherwise they would use them rather than the childish name calling you and others tend to use !

The thing with labour voters is most think its thier duty to vote for a party that represents the working man.The fact they dont give a txss about the working man hasnt sunk into a lot of them yet.

Dandyman

In London village.

Ok, the floor is your's. Tell me UKIP's policies in detail, why you think they are in the interests of working people and why Farage is not an right-wing extremist.

p.s. I've not voted Labour in a General Election since 1997.

Dandyman

In London village.
The thing with labour voters is most think its thier duty to vote for a party that represents the working man.The fact they dont give a txss about the working man hasnt sunk into a lot of them yet.

I've not voted Labour since 1997 - are you seriously suggesting Farage is a pro-working class politician ?

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes

It's funny how being against European integration makes you far right, and pro-European left. There isn't really any such thing in British politics anymore.

Oh and the reason why you aren't hearing anything from Labour supporters is because even their own leadership can't come out with a co-ordinated response. The Tories may have conveniently dodged the issue until after the next election but at least they have done it publicly.

For what its worth, there is something unnervingly unappealing about Farage, but I do think that the Europe we signed up for is not the one we have now - and to use a slightly tabloid phrase - we have slept-walked into believing that this Europe serves us better, and it patently doesn't.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Have a look at the UKIP political programme - Farage is a far right nutter, the only benefit of UKIP is that it will reduce the Tory vote even more than the Bullers Boys will.

Ok, the floor is your's. Tell me UKIP's policies in detail, why you think they are in the interests of working people and why Farage is not an right-wing extremist.

p.s. I've not voted Labour in a General Election since 1997.

So here we go ( and the list isn't exhaustive ! ) :

1. Getting us out of the EU
2. Points value immigration
3. Recall voting
4. Flat rate of tax
5. Tax only kicking in at £13k

Feel free to name call rather than put a rational political argument as usual !

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
http://www.ukip.org/index.php/issues/policy-pages/what-we-stand-for

UKIPs policies are here (or at least the ones they put in public).

People can agree or disagree with their policies - but how anyone can not place them firmly on the far right is beyond me.

I don't know precise distinctions between "far right" and "right", maybe they don't even exist objectively, but I think a lot of the policies only look more extreme because he's deliberately targeting a niche to the right of the Tories. I suppose it's natural to define anything to the right of them as "far right", but then you are only left with a relative term that becomes more moderate every day the Tories do.

I think people were objecting more to you calling him a nutter, and by connecting it with the semantic "far right", it was a bit of an insult to anyone who's anywhere rightward of David Cameron. This group is populated by far more than just nutters!

redhill seagull 66

May 25, 2012
I've not voted Labour since 1997 - are you seriously suggesting Farage is a pro-working class politician ?

Well i would suggest getting us out of europe and letting British kids have the chance work instead of east europeans would be a start.Do you honestly know what its like to go to work,sit in a canteen where 80% of the people are east european..I do!!!

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
The AFL is just a front for the SWP.

I remember seeing that written all over the place in the 90s in Brighton. Eveyone know's SWP is Welsh for soup though.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
UKIP are extraordinarily right-wing and is now devoted to creating a fuss, via Islam and immigrants. Theyve got nothing to say on mainstream issues.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here