I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Quarter Final One
===

Farty Towels
- 1975-1979, 12 episodes

1700261544656.png

Torquay's finest have chosen to rest Sybil and Manuel for this contest, bringing in The Major and O'Reilly. An arrogant risk or sensible forward planning?

===
VS
===

Not The Nine O'Clock News
- 1979-1982, 29 episodes

1700820402378.png

NTNON goes full strength, as expected. A quarter final is probably a decent result for this show.

VOTE NOW!
UKCC24 - Group Stage Round Up
UKCC24 - R16 Round Up

Last edited:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
If this was a quarter final in last season's FA Cup, it would be Sheff Utd v Blackburn.

No disrespect etc. etc. done triffic to get here etc. etc. but neither will be winning. I'll go for Basil and the gang.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
My vote goes to flying tart

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
If this was a quarter final in last season's FA Cup, it would be Sheff Utd v Blackburn.

No disrespect etc. etc. done triffic to get here etc. etc. but neither will be winning. I'll go for Basil and the gang.
I think you underestimate Fawlty. Consistently pulls in very high numbers of votes - might even be the top scorer of the tournament so far.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I think you underestimate Fawlty. Consistently pulls in very high numbers of votes - might even be the top scorer of the tournament so far.
Easy draw so far. Easy group then The Royle Family in round of 16. Let's see how it does against AP. Or Father Ted in a FT derby.

marcos3263

Oct 29, 2009
Fishersgate and Proud
NTNON - stella cast but dated sketches - funny then - not (as?) funny now.

Although I will have the trucking song in my head all day so that counts for something.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Really torn on this one, not only gone to penalties but they finished about 49-50 in favour of NTNON. Another day might have been a different result.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
FT getting an easy run into the final rounds, it’s a fix I tell you!

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Easy draw so far. Easy group then The Royle Family in round of 16. Let's see how it does against AP. Or Father Ted in a FT derby.
An easy draw agreed, but it's still a Prem team at minimum, when you look at who's in the competition - Top 4/5 IMO.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
[Basil answers the phone which interrupts him hanging his moose head on the wall]

Basil Fawlty:
[Answers the phone call from his wife] Yes. Fawlty Towers, hello?

[pause]

Basil Fawlty:
I was just doing it, you stupid woman. I just put it down, to come here and be reminded by you to do what I'm already doing. I mean, what is the point in reminding me to do what I'm already doing? I mean, what is the bloody point? I'm doing it, aren't I?

[pause]

Basil Fawlty:
Yes, yes, I picked it up... Yes... No, no, I haven't had a chance yet... I've been at it solidly ever since I got back. Yes, I will... Yes... No, I haven't yet, but I will... Yes, yes, yes, I know it is... Yes, I'll try and get it cleared up... Anything else? I mean, would you like the hotel moved a bit to the left?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I didn't see the masterpiece that is Bottom in this competition.
Didn't receive the required nominations.

I will be doing the US Comedy Cup (16 shows) at some point, and thinking about whether to do the nominations differently.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
FT getting an easy run into the final rounds, it’s a fix I tell you!
Semi Finals will be QF1 v QF2, so assuming Fawlty gets through this, it would face the winner of Father Ted vs Partridge...

chickens

Intending to survive this time of asset strippers
NSC Patron
Oct 12, 2022
Both have aged badly to my mind. Am expecting a Fawlty Towers victory, by a considerable margin though.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Both have aged badly to my mind. Am expecting a Fawlty Towers victory, by a considerable margin though.
I would argue the CONTENT of Fawlty may have dated, but not the performances, the tightness of the script, nor the physical comedy. I would argue those elements will always be seen as of a high standard.

For the TYPE of comedy it is - raucous fast-paced 30 minute farce - I'm not convinced another show has ever done it better.

A little bit like Friends, in that I don't love Friends, but for the type of show it is trying to be, it is phenomenally good. If that makes sense.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports