• Blackadder

Votes: 204 73.6%
  • The Office

Votes: 73 26.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Littlemo

Aug 25, 2022
That final episode is an utter masterpiece of television, and I don't just mean in the comedy genre. From when George says "I'm scared, sir" the whole tone changes.

I first saw it in my Year 9 History class - teacher was a huge Blackadder fan and we watched one episode per week. Having never seen the show before, I assumed that they were going to get out of it and all live happily ever after. The realisation that they weren't was shocking and sobering.

The fade to a field of poppies is just genius. For that episode alone it beats The Office for me, even more easily when the rest of the show is taken into account.

"We lived through it. The Great War, 1914 to 1917" - has a more heartbreaking line ever been written?

Yeah I was going to mention the last episode as well. It was one of the best endings of a show I’ve seen, done so well.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
That final episode is an utter masterpiece of television, and I don't just mean in the comedy genre. From when George says "I'm scared, sir" the whole tone changes.

I first saw it in my Year 9 History class - teacher was a huge Blackadder fan and we watched one episode per week. Having never seen the show before, I assumed that they were going to get out of it and all live happily ever after. The realisation that they weren't was shocking and sobering.

The fade to a field of poppies is just genius. For that episode alone it beats The Office for me, even more easily when the rest of the show is taken into account.

"We lived through it. The Great War, 1914 to 1917" - has a more heartbreaking line ever been written?

Agree with your sentiment. Everyone's got their favourite/most poignant moments in that final episode. For me the most heartbreaking bit is when Captain Darling turns up, having been transferred by General Melchett. He knows he's going to die and says: "Kind of hoped I'd see the whole thing through. Go back to work at Pratt and Son, keep wicket for the Croydon Gentlemen ...... marry Doris." I think that sums up what millions must have thought. McInnery delivers it perfectly and every time I see it my heart aches for him (Darling).

As you said, an utter masterpiece of television.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Agree with your sentiment. Everyone's got their favourite/most poignant moments in that final episode. For me the most heartbreaking bit is when Captain Darling turns up, having been transferred by General Melchett. He knows he's going to die and says: "Kind of hoped I'd see the whole thing through. Go back to work at Pratt and Son, keep wicket for the Croydon Gentlemen ...... marry Doris." I think that sums up what millions must have thought. McInnery delivers it perfectly and every time I see it my heart aches for him (Darling).

You can almost hear the audience’s laughter nervously fading away when he gets to “keep wicket for Croydon gentlemen”.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Made a note in my diary on the way here. Simply says, 'bugger'.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Blackadder all the way.

I can still remember being convulsed in laughter at Rik turning up as Lord Flasheart in Series 2. The next day everyone at school was trying to recite it. My first serious girlfriend knew the routine. I've just watched it back to post it on here and it's incredibly childish, hasn't dated at all well, and still had me giggling. Watch Atkinson when Rik's talking to Tony Robinson, he can barely hold it together.

It does help that I hated The Office. Probably because it was very well observed and I was working in an office at the time, and therefore spent more time cringing than laughing.

I’ve posted this several times before, but whenever Rik comes up (WOOF!) I like to share it.

When I was in my teens I saw him do a Noel Coward play “Present Laughter” at the Theatre Royal, Brighton. I was a big fan of Rik from Bottom, Young Ones, Blackadder and just generally.

At the performance I attended, Rik lost his way with the text (this was post quad-bike accident) and loudly shouted “f***” in frustration. For reference, this was a gentle Noel Coward comedy…

So I went to the stage door after the performance and waited for him to go come out, hopefully for an autograph or a picture (or both) and he came out and threw his hands up and said “sorry for the little f*** up… ooops, sorry, did it again”.

He was “on” the second he came out and saw his adoring fans waiting politely for him to appear. Took time with everyone, made jokes, was Rik from the screen and stage right in front of you. Couldn’t stand still, jiggling and hopping.

Anyway I had a new colour printer at home, and printed off a few headshots I got online on glossy paper I bought from money from my paper round.

I asked him for an autograph and he grabbed the picture and asked where I got it (I explained I found it on the internet and printed it off) and he said something about his agent. I think it was “wait until my agent hears about this”.

He signed both (A4 fresh out of my family home printer) with “Rik Mayall” and a big copyright sign just below.

Happily posed for pictures with everyone (including me) while his car waited.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
You can almost hear the audience’s laughter nervously fading away when he gets to “keep wicket for Croydon gentlemen”.
Boring fact of the day - the original effects for the ending looked proper shit. Was meant to show them getting shot and blown up from the reverse angle. Blackadder was meant to make a quip about his “legacy living on” as he laid dying - but the footage not salvageable. Because of the cost of the pyro they slowed down the footage of them running forward. And thus, history was made with the poppy field added later.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I'm probably alone, but couldn't stand either of them
IMG_0841.jpeg

Brent Partridge

Aug 28, 2023
The Office!!

They took a normal guy, and they said "let's see what NSC thinks of him",
and NSC seems to be saying
"yeah, what else you got?"

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Made a note in my diary on the way here. Simply says, 'bugger'.
I have used that so many times. Usually the day after England exit a major tournament.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
With This is Spinal Tap coming out in 1984, I'd have to question that assertion.
Fair point, noted - Tap is a brilliant, brilliant film.

However there is no question that there was an explosion of similar shows following The Office, and that it popularised the genre in the "modern" era.

[Derek raises his hand after Ian Faith quits as the band's manager]

Derek Smalls : Can I raise a practical question at this point? Are we gonna do "Stonehenge" tomorrow?

Last edited:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
There we have it.

Only Fools & Horses vs Blackadder is our second semi final.

Will sort it later tonight or tomorrow.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here