Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Quarter Final Four
===

What a humdinger.

Blackadder (all series) -
1982-1999, 26 episodes

1700482324230.png

An absolute institution of a comedy. A bookies favourite pre-tournament. No further comment necessary.

===
VS
===

The Office
- 1994, 14 episodes

1701354944884.png

Such a huge show at the time - the birth of the mockumentary genre, and kickstarted the career of Ricky Gervais amongst others. Influenced a whole generation of men to talk a certain way. The show is endlessly quotable, but with a real warmth and pathos that elevates it above peers IMO - most likely the influence of Merchant, given the clumsiness of some of Gervais' future works without Merchant.

The bottomless sarcasm of Edmund, or the painful lack of self awareness from David? YOU DECIDE.

VOTE NOW!​

UKCC24 - Group Stage Round Up
UKCC24 - R16 Round Up

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
I fully expect Edmund and the gang to be dishing out 'six of the best, trousers down' to The Office. Tough draw for Brent. I feel like him against The Fast Show would have been a very close tie.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Bladder is going to win this, even though I feel the comedy is more dated than with The Office. Both works of genius in their times, but I'll go with Slack Bladder and all of his predecessors.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I know I'm slow on the uptake but this is essentially a roundabout way of finding the average age of NSC users. Oh and blackadder
Haha yep - it's a bit of market research @Bozza asked me to do.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Love both of these. But I’m going with Edmund and the gang on this one.

Just so many belly laughs when I first watched it.

It doesn’t have the same effect on me now, except for Goes Forth.

Nevertheless, writers, actors and directors all at their peak. I love Blackadder.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Love both of these. But I’m going with Edmund and the gang on this one.

Just so many belly laughs when I first watched it.

It doesn’t have the same effect on me now, except for Goes Forth.

Nevertheless, writers, actors and directors all at their peak. I love Blackadder.
Almost exactly the same, except I watch all of Blackadder once a year and still get laughs every single time - even occasionally in Series 1!

Love both of these shows very much - both are brilliant in their own way with absolutely classic moments.

Gone with Blackadder. The comedy is pure green.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Variable quality until they sorted out the Baldrick/Blackadder dynamic for Series 2 (the best). Series 3 fell off a bit but Series 4 was a triumph.
I don't know why it is, but Series 2 is definitely better than Series 3, isn't it?

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Variable quality until they sorted out the Baldrick/Blackadder dynamic for Series 2 (the best). Series 3 fell off a bit but Series 4 was a triumph.
Series 3 is my favourite, simply because it was the one I had on VHS tape growing up and watched it to death. In fairness Goes Forth is probably better, I fully agree.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I love The Office, and it would probably be in my Top 3 or so for the whole competition, but I can't argue with Blackadder. It's too good.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
For balance:

IMG_2819.gif

Two brilliant and very different comedies. Fantastic tie.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
They chopped the cast down for Series 3, losing Fry and McInnerny was a mistake, which is why they came back for Series 4
Good point, I'd forgotten the lack of Fry (bar one episode). Serie 3 did feel a bit smaller.

Don't get me wrong, I love 2, 3 and 4. 1 is almost a different show altogether.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
They chopped the cast down for Series 3, losing Fry and McInnerny was a mistake, which is why they came back for Series 4
Both were in episodes of their own though. Same with Miranda Richardson.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here