[TV] UKCC24 - Quarter Final Draw (& R16 Round up)

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
After a short winter break (ahem), we are ready to move into the business end of this tournament.

Quarter Final Draw

Fawlty Towers vs Not The Nine O'Clock News

Father Ted vs I'm Alan Partridge

Only Fools & Horses vs The Fast Show

Blackadder vs The Office

Intrigued by Only Fools vs The Fast Show, concerned for Alan, and two other relatively comfortable home wins I suspect.
===

Round of 16 Round-Up

1704363192290.png

Basil, Del Boy and Edmund the most impressive in this round.

===
Quarter final threads will commence shortly.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Blackadder v The Office should be a belter
I wonder if Gervais recent utter abomination of a stand up will count against him.

Trying to just remember The Office for what it was - the drop in quality from RG is staggeringly high.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Bloody hell Partridge vs Ted. An absolute giant is going out :tantrum:

The Thick Of It in the last 16 and now father ted in the quarters. The draw hasn't been kind to big Al but I'm still backing him.

Blackadder v The Office is another cracker.

Fawlty Alan fools Blackadder is my prediction.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Bloody hell Partridge vs Ted. An absolute giant is going out :tantrum:

The Thick Of It in the last 16 and now father ted in the quarters. The draw hasn't been kind to big Al but I'm still backing him.

Blackadder v The Office is another cracker.

Fawlty Alan fools Blackadder is my prediction.
Father Ted has a huge following on here. I'm concerned for Babtridge.

Stumpy Tim

I wonder if Gervais recent utter abomination of a stand up will count against him.

Trying to just remember The Office for what it was - the drop in quality from RG is staggeringly high.
It's true his stand-ups have progressively got worse, but The Office was a joy (as was Extras & After Life IMO). I'm torn to be honest

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
It's true his stand-ups have progressively got worse, but The Office was a joy (as was Extras & After Life IMO). I'm torn to be honest
Also I need to remember The Office wasn't just Gervais - Merchant's writing was great and a lot of other talented people involved.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Of course, both The Office and Extras, were written not just by Ricky Gervais, but by him and Stephen Merchant. Maybe Merchant's influence adds the nuance - the subtle, observational humour.

The casting of the Office is also absolutely incredible, not to mention some of the acting performances. Could you even begin to imagine Gareth, Tim, Dawn or heaven forbid, KEITH, played by anybody else?

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.

Gervais is the opposite of a good wine - he immatures with age. I loved The Office, but now find Gervais nauseating and puerile.

When he's a guest on Graham Norton or Jonathan Ross, he keeps interrupting or talking over other guests to make himself the centre of attention, often with smut or innuendo, followed by that stupid, high-pitched, attention-seeking, laugh he does. I actually find him embarrassing now, or even mildly offensive.

See also: Mrs Brown's Boys, and Miranda Hart.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Gervais is the opposite of a good wine - he immatures with age. I loved The Office, but now find Gervais nauseating and puerile.

When he's a guest on Graham Norton or Jonathan Ross, he keeps interrupting or talking over other guests to make himself the centre of attention, often with smut or innuendo, followed by that stupid, high-pitched, attention-seeking, laugh he does. I actually find him embarrassing now, or even mildly offensive.

See also: Mrs Brown's Boys, and Miranda Hart.
As someone said on twitter, his audience is now absolute lowest common denominator shite - the exact crowd Andy Millman was worried about pandering to in Extras.

Here it is - nails it;

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
The Office and Extras were both magnificent. After Life was less so IMO. And as everyone agrees, his stand-ups have got worse to the point that he is now plain puerile and irritating. The Andy Millman tweet does indeed nail it.

However, I can't help feeling @Mellotron is guilty of swaying the voting public unreasonably here. We're not voting on Gervais, we're voting on The Office, which was a work of genius. I note he's not doing the same with Alan Partridge by introducing some of Coogan's unfunny/dated characters: Tony Ferrino - one admittedly hilarious stand up routine but crap apart from that. Paul Calf - mildly amusing. Pauline Calf - not even slightly funny etc. (Gareth Cheeseman was superb however)

Stumpy Tim

The Office and Extras were both magnificent. After Life was less so IMO. And as everyone agrees, his stand-ups have got worse to the point that he is now plain puerile and irritating. The Andy Millman tweet does indeed nail it.

However, I can't help feeling @Mellotron is guilty of swaying the voting public unreasonably here. We're not voting on Gervais, we're voting on The Office, which was a work of genius. I note he's not doing the same with Alan Partridge by introducing some of Coogan's unfunny/dated characters: Tony Ferrino - one admittedly hilarious stand up routine but crap apart from that. Paul Calf - mildly amusing. Pauline Calf - not even slightly funny etc. (Gareth Cheeseman was superb however)
Slow down on the Paul Calf banter. That Paul Calf special was fabulous comedy

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington

It does feel a bit like arguing that we shouldn't vote for Blackadder because the Thin Blue Line was crap.*

*May not reflect my actual opinion, I haven't watched it since I was 12.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

Nothing insidious going on at all.

I'm just saying I'm trying to make sure Gervais' recent work doesn't colour my thinking. I'm completely torn on Blackadder vs Office, but will probably vote Office. There's far more potential for Gervais' recent work to cloud people's thinking (given it has massively dominated Twitter recently) than Coogan's stuff from decades ago.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
The Office and Extras were both magnificent. After Life was less so IMO.
More detail needed here;

The Office - Genius
Extras - Excellent, near genius
Life's Too Short - Shit
Derek - Funny due to David Earl, but otherwise pretty shit
After Life - The most clumsily written show I have ever seen

Stand up

Politics & Animals - Pretty good, inventive at points, plenty of genuine comedy.
Science onwards - basically the same set recycled over and over and over again, each new set 15-30% worse than the last. So lazy and boring. He is STILL going on about African babies having AIDS.

Last edited:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I simply cannot vote in that one. I think I'm just going to have consider comedy as the winner here.
I mean, it has to be Alan, doesn't it?

Of course there is a bloke who shouts feck and arse in the other show, so that's quite good isn't it? Bit like Mrs Brown's Boys type stuff.

(Runs away)

Last edited:

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Home win
Narrow home win
Home win
Toss up

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports