• Only Fools & Horses

Votes: 192 64.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Matches 5-8 to follow over the next couple of days.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Only Fools and Horses has become legendary, and some of the scenes are absolute comedy classics.... but....it wasn't really that amazing when it was originally shown. For the most part it was kind of a vanilla family friendly Saturday night sitcom, perfectly comfortable and familiar but far from a gag a minute. The classic scenes were indeed brilliant, the chandelier, falling through the bar, triggers broom, rodney pretending to be 14 in spain - but they were relatively few and far between. A lot of the characters were pretty annoying - Uncle Albert, Marlene, Cassandra - and Boycie really grated in the later series. Somehow its grown into this legendary comedy but i think that's on the strength of short clips, I wouldn't watch whole episodes any more.

Last edited:

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
OFAH has to be the odds on favourite for the entire tournament. It's the best the UK has ever produced. Partly because of the longevity of it but also because of the themes it covered.

There isn't a better serious, dramatic scene in a comedy series than Del and Rodney in the lift after Cassandra's miscarriage. Or Del's face when Rodney and Cassandra are leaving their wedding reception. Grandad's funeral episode. The show's incredible and I haven't mentioned the Chandelier or the Jolly Boy's outing!

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
OFAH has to be the odds on favourite for the entire tournament. It's the best the UK has ever produced. Partly because of the longevity of it but also because of the themes it covered.

There isn't a better serious, dramatic scene in a comedy series than Del and Rodney in the lift after Cassandra's miscarriage. Or Del's face when Rodney and Cassandra are leaving their wedding reception. Grandad's funeral episode. The show's incredible and I haven't mentioned the Chandelier or the Jolly Boy's outing!
I see OFAH, Blackadder, Father Ted & Fawlty Towers as the front runners. I can't call it between those.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
I see OFAH, Blackadder, Father Ted & Fawlty Towers as the front runners. I can't call it between those.
Personally, I think Fawlty Towers has aged terribly. It really stands out like a sore thumb for me now, I used to love it but I can't stand it any more.

Blackadder vs OFAH would be the ideal and appropriate final for me, and then it's a coin toss. I will be voting OFAH throughout but Blackadder would be a very deserving winner as well.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
Only Fools and Horses is so overrated. Unpopular opinion I know, but I just don't get the hype.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

Although I voted inbetweeners, I think you're probably right. Blackadder/Father Ted final for me :thumbsup:

I'm afraid for me these days I probably cringe as much as laugh at Flowery Twats :down:

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

THIS ^^^ and it also has worldwide appeal. A few years ago I was lying on a beach in Egypt and along walks an Egyptian Del Boy selling some old tat. The moment he realised I was British it was "Lovely Jubbly" every sentence from him.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
There isn't a better serious, dramatic scene in a comedy series than Del and Rodney in the lift after Cassandra's miscarriage.
The moment prior to Blackadder, George, Baldrick & Darling going over the top trumps this, in my opinion.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
The moment prior to Blackadder, George, Baldrick & Darling going over the top trumps this, in my opinion.
It's great, but Blackadder doesn't manage to switch to a scene where a family pour Maxwell House all over a roast dinner about 5minutes later in the same episode.

There's actually a lot of (admittedly largely off screen) violence in OFAH. From memory, Delboy gets beaten up by gangsters twice, the Batman and Robin episode has about 3 people getting mugged, the episode where Rodney and Cassandra lose their baby closes with Del punching somebody in the face in a hospital waiting room. It's described above as "vanilla family friendly", but there's a lot in it that if handled even slightly badly would be incredibly jarring in a traditional sitcom.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Although I voted inbetweeners, I think you're probably right. Blackadder/Father Ted final for me :thumbsup:

I'm afraid for me these days I probably cringe as much as laugh at Flowery Twats :down:
This is the final I wish to see.

God knows how many cups of tea I'm going to have make whilst sitting through an assortment of clips from both before making my decision. It would be an extremely TOUGH decision to make.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Only Fools and Horses is so overrated. Unpopular opinion I know, but I just don't get the hype.

Some rubbish episodes and it went on for far too long, but

Groovy Gang
To Hull and Back (the Amsterdam Special which is more of a comedy drama)
and Miami Twice

Superb TV of it's era.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
God knows how many cups of tea I'm going to have make whilst sitting through an assortment of clips from both before making my decision. It would be an extremely TOUGH decision to make.
IMG_8274.jpeg

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
Bit different as they're literally heading directly to their likely death, but I don't disagree - incredibly powerful and probably THE best final scene in a series.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Del Boy and Rodney stride on. How far can they get?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here