• The Young Ones

Votes: 77 41.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Why the brief intro for the Young Ones? It changed comedy in Britain for ever, sweeping away the racism and sexism that had dominated TV in this country and at the same time took slapstick to a whole new level. Whilst I loved The Office, it merely launched a few careers and was funny.
I doubt my introductions will sway any votes, just being a little tongue in cheek.

The truth is I don't have the same level of familiarity with TYO as TO - demographics innit.

I think you're also downplaying The Office's influence - I would argue it was huge for the evolution of comedy at it's time, nothing quite like it had really come before, birthing shows like People Just Do Nothing and This Country among many others.

chickens

Intending to survive this time of asset strippers
Oct 12, 2022
Bucking the trend here, I’d say the Office has aged worse than the Young Ones has.

I think the slightly sly, knowing, mockumentary approach has now been done to death. Team Young Ones here, and I’ll shake my walking stick angrily at anyone who says otherwise.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Did you not watch the telly before 1982? Bernard Manning, Little and Large, Cannon and Ball, Jim Davidson, Benny Hill.
You're just listing all the shite comedy that came before it, but there was good stuff too - Fawlty Towers, Hancocks Half Hour, etc

Still doesn't explain it as ground breaking IMO.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I think the slightly sly, knowing, mockumentary approach has now been done to death.
I think this is damning The Office with very faint praise. There is a lot of excellent comedy (Training Day) in there that has nothing to do with the mockumentary element, and there's also a tonne of depth and pathos (The Christmas Specials) not seen in hardly any other show in this competition.

IMO, like.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I think because it was 'alternative comedy does sitcom'. I know it's sneered at now, but 'alternative' comedy did seem a real leap forward in the early 80s. Only a few years before comedians had stood on stage in dinner jackets and told jokes about immigrants. Sit-coms were often (although not always) people like Terry Scott in nice, middle class situations. Then the likes of Rik Mayall appeared and blew it all away. Firstly they did it with stand-up, and then with the Young Ones they did it with a mainstream BBC sit-com.
Indeed. Was about to type something very similar.

And have gone for TYO. Ultimately comedy is supposed to make you laugh. I was the right age when it came out, I suppose, but I can remember laughing till tears came down my face and I could barely breathe at the University Challenge episode. I lost it totally when Vyvyan kicks his own head on the railway line.

It probably shows that at the time I had a liking for slapstick and a certain level of cruelty. I could watch Vic N Bob's frying pan routine on a loop if I'm honest.

The Office though? Just made me cringe. I can't remember laughing at a single thing. It was clever, it had irony, pathos and real sharp observation, but I never found it laugh out loud funny.

There. I said it.

chickens

Oct 12, 2022
I think this is damning The Office with very faint praise. There is a lot of excellent comedy (Training Day) in there that has nothing to do with the mockumentary element, and there's also a tonne of depth and pathos (The Christmas Specials) not seen in hardly any other show in this competition.

IMO, like.

Absolutely, I accept that the Office does it for you, I admire its cleverness and it does have some beautiful moments in it. Training Day was an absolute joy.

I’m a big fan of clever comedy, but even though Ricky Gervais was neither rich nor famous at that stage of life, so was punching around rather than punching down at the time, it does feel a tiny bit “Look at the plebs we’re smarter than.”

For me, the Young Ones had a visceral energy and a mischievous joy to it that I find missing from a lot of modern comedy, and I wish there was something a bit more like it now. The closest I’ve come in more recent years was the Mighty Boosh, and even that was pretty sedate and low energy by comparison.

Again, and as always, IMO of course… :wink:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
For me, the Young Ones had a visceral energy and a mischievous joy to it that I find missing from a lot of modern comedy, and I wish there was something a bit more like it now. The closest I’ve come in more recent years was the Mighty Boosh, and even that was pretty sedate and low energy by comparison.
Fully agree regarding The Mighty Boosh - that was absolutely brilliant and seriously underrated. The Nightmare of Milky Joe was one of the funniest episodes of comedy anywhere. "The man's an arse"

chickens

Oct 12, 2022
Vic and Bob is probably the closest, isn't it?

Vic and Bob are superb but they can blow a bit hot and cold. Big Night Out, The Smell Of R&M and the first two series of Shooting Stars were superb, but I couldn’t get on with “Bang! Bang! It’s R&M” or later series of Shooting Stars, where it felt like they were trying to stretch it out past its natural end.

Least said about R&H Deceased the better too.

Bob Mortimer is still brilliant on WILTY, and Athletico Mince was joyous through its first few years, but has now settled into a comfortable but less raw experience.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I like the smell of an onion Bhaji, c’mon let’s have a sniff of it.
I don't know why but the following exchange from The Club I always thought was pure genius.

Team Meeting;
Vic (as Chris the Bouncer) - "Can I 'ave day off next year to go t'funeral?"
Bob (as Karl the Bouncer) - "Whose - your fat mothers?"
Vic - "Yeah, she said she'll be dead this time next year the way I'm goin'."

1702999092872.png

It's so stupid, but so great.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
With the best will in the world, I think describing the Mighty Boosh as "recent" is stretching the truth (and time) to breaking point.

Comrade Sam

Comrade Sam
Jan 31, 2013
Walthamstow
I doubt my introductions will sway any votes, just being a little tongue in cheek.

The truth is I don't have the same level of familiarity with TYO as TO - demographics innit.

I think you're also downplaying The Office's influence - I would argue it was huge for the evolution of comedy at it's time, nothing quite like it had really come before, birthing shows like People Just Do Nothing and This Country among many others.
Victoria Wood had been doing similar mock fly on the wall for well over a decade before. The Office did take it to another level.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
How thoroughly depressing. Bloody old time eh?
Having been about 10 at the turn of the millennium, it's programs from that sort of time (early 00s) that often stand out to me as seeming "dated". Little details down to the BBC logo all just jump out at me.
Whereas anything older has always sat in the "old tv" draw in my brain, so it doesn't really bother me.
I guess this is true in some form or other for most people.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Still only 20 votes in this.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Last call for votes.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here