Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] UK to increase nuclear warheads by 40%

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I hadn't seen anything on the news about this, and certainly hope this isn't right, but

Russia condemns UK plan to increase nuclear weapons as threat to ‘international stability’

Russia has condemned the decision by the UK government to boost its arsenal of nuclear weapons, saying the move would harm international stability. The UK will increase the cap on its nuclear warhead stockpile by more than 40 per cent, prime minister Boris Johnson revealed as part of his foreign and defence policy review on Tuesday.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/russia-nuclear-weapons-uk-boris-johnson-b1818339.html

After many, many years of all the major powers around the world working on reducing nuclear warheads, just the 2 questions

1. Why ?
2. How are we going to pay for it given our current debt situation ?

Nurses Not Nukes !..... Nice distraction for Johnson though.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
They have 6000, we have 200... hardly seems like this would even matter to them. There must be something we are missing here!

I was thinking more that this is a little sweetener for another deal of some sort. Who knows! Either way, it's likely we won't even rent the nukes. Just another flash bang story to distract from Boris's continuous bumblefeck. He's just making a nuisance of himself in the hopes the teacher won't ask him for his homework.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
the distraction seems to be working if everyone is talking about it. :thumbsup:

more hopeful of the change of emphasis to enhanced science and industry contribution in defence strategy.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
They have 6000, we have 200... hardly seems like this would even matter to them. There must be something we are missing here!

40 Nukes dropped on our little Island would mean we would simply cease to exist, we are no nuclear threat in any real way and increasing our warheads just guarantees that those 40 nukes will be dropped pretty quickly if things ever get messy.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
40 Nukes dropped on our little Island would mean we would simply cease to exist, we are no nuclear threat in any real way and increasing our warheads just guarantees that those 40 nukes will be dropped pretty quickly if things ever get messy.

Just prior to that a Vanguard/Dreadnaught Class SSBN would have launched upto 15 ICBM’s each with upto 4 warheads in retaliation, this alone means that we have stayed safe for the last 50 plus years, it’s called Deterrent.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
the distraction seems to be working if everyone is talking about it. :thumbsup:

more hopeful of the change of emphasis to enhanced science and industry contribution in defence strategy.

Who’s talking about it apart from the L v R on here, Roman Kemps depression is a hotter topic on the BBC [emoji23]

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
It's one thing to protect interests such a shipping routes with a naval presents quite another to unitarally increase our stockpile of nucular wepons totally the wrong thing to do

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex

thats just a reactive scared way to be.
Prefer to be one of the bigger cheeses calling the shots.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I really hope Johnson isn't going to start some kind of alpha dance with China. He does seem like the kind of ******** who could bring the world close to nuclear war just to prove the People's Magnificent Sovereign Isle of Great Britain is a powerful new player in global affairs.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Utterly disgusting plan. As if having more Nuke makes any difference except for costing a disgusting amount of money at a time when the country is flat broke.

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
I’ve always thought we should just pretend we have loads of nukes. If we were ever in a situation where we would have to use them, there is not going to be many of us left to criticise the Government for lying about the amount we have.

It’s not only the bomber submarines that have them either. I can neither confirm or deny that I served on at least one ship that carried tactical nukes.
I can confirm we had 16 of the beauties every time we went out.

Our lifespan was calculated at 13 minutes once the first missile left the water but we could fire all 16 in about 8 mins as long as we could maintain a steady hover.

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
Just prior to that a Vanguard/Dreadnaught Class SSBN would have launched upto 15 ICBM’s each with upto 4 warheads in retaliation, this alone means that we have stayed safe for the last 50 plus years, it’s called Deterrent.
16 missiles with 3 warheads in each.
The first warhead was full of sweets so we could get everyone out on the streets before the other two got them

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
I don't begin to understand this. Is it a case of renewing/changing/upgrading technology that happens to change the configuration/number of warheads or are we really expanding our capacity??

Its more than likely an upgrade together with adding to the UK's capability.
The armed forces has been going through major changes of late, with fine tuning of relevant stock.
You only have to look at the latest threats in the world to where the UK's armed forces are going.
Its all about mobility and quick reaction in force.

You only have to look at the government websites for info:

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/180m-army-vehicle-contract-protects-700-glasgow-jobs

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/76m-contract-boosts-f-35-lightning-fleet-support

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here