May 19, 2009
Amazonia

Attachments

• Merkel-migrant.jpg
    Merkel-migrant.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 92

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
On a slightly different point, at my wifes school they have a couple of new Syrian pupils, they seem extremely nice.

Firstly it is striking how Western the family are, their Mum seems to look like she has come from a shopping trip from the Londons West End when they pick the children up and I mean designer everything.

Nothing wrong with that and good luck to them, but can someone tell me why the children are then given free school uniform, free after school activities and access everything free of charge, whilst British families just outside the benefit system/Pupil Premium threshold then have no equitable financial support.

Accepting I am using some prejudice to determine their likely financial situation, it seems likely they become a qualified recipient of financial and service support due solely to their refugee status rather than their own personal financial situation.

Maybe they havent declared their real financial position or maybe I have mistakenly mis-judged what their personal wealth might be I cannot be sure, but it seems likely that the refugee status supersedes any other consideration when accessing benefits in our country which seems a unfair policy which would prove quite divisive.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
On a slightly different point, at my wifes school they have a couple of new Syrian pupils, they seem extremely nice.

Firstly it is striking how Western the family are, their Mum seems to look like she has come from a shopping trip from the Londons West End when they pick the children up and I mean designer everything.

Nothing wrong with that and good luck to them, but can someone tell me why the children are then given free school uniform, free after school activities and access everything free of charge, whilst British families just outside the benefit system/Pupil Premium threshold then have no equitable financial support.

Accepting I am using some prejudice to determine their likely financial situation, it seems likely they become a qualified recipient of financial and service support due solely to their refugee status rather than their own personal financial situation.

Maybe they havent declared their real financial position or maybe I have mistakenly mis-judged what their personal wealth might be I cannot be sure, but it seems likely that the refugee status supersedes any other consideration when accessing benefits in our country which seems a unfair policy which would prove quite divisive.

A lot of the Syrian refugees had a good standard of living before the war so I wouldn't expect them to be dressed in rags over here. They've probably abandoned their house, car and other possessions and spent a lot of their savings getting here. That doesn't mean they won't have brought their smartphones and a few decent outfits with them.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
A lot of the Syrian refugees had a good standard of living before the war so I wouldn't expect them to be dressed in rags over here. They've probably abandoned their house, car and other possessions and spent a lot of their savings getting here. That doesn't mean they won't have brought their smartphones and a few decent outfits with them.

I thought they might not have brought their homes or cars with them, thanks :)

Perhaps, my point was does any refugee status wholly qualify access to those benefits irrespective to any financial consideration, or indeed would any financial status be considered before assessing refugee status ??

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
I thought they might not have brought their homes or cars with them, thanks :)

Perhaps, my point was does any refugee status wholly qualify access to those benefits irrespective to any financial consideration, or indeed would any financial status be considered before assessing refugee status ??

Sorry, I didn't mean to be patronising if that's how it came across :) I was just suggesting that although they may seem comfortably off based on outside appearances these may be just the remnants of the wealth they left behind.

With regard to benefits, I have no idea but I doubt financial wealth is considered when assessing refugee status.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Sorry, I didn't mean to be patronising if that's how it came across :) I was just suggesting that although they may seem comfortably off based on outside appearances these may be just the remnants of the wealth they left behind.

With regard to benefits, I have no idea but I doubt financial wealth is considered when assessing refugee status.

I know I was only playing ......... :)

I cannot see any financial position being relevant to any applicant, but I have an inkling due to a previous experience that just having a refugee status qualifies access to benefits, irrespective of their financial position, if true then my original point still stands, that is unnecessary, unfair and divisive.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
so those smartphones and '' a few decent outfits'' managed to still look presentable after surviving the terrible , danger ridden crossing in a crowded boat across the med did they ? :facepalm:

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
so those smartphones and '' a few decent outfits'' managed to still look presentable after surviving the terrible , danger ridden crossing in a crowded boat across the med did they ? :facepalm:

if they didnt sink...plus they dont all use the same route.... but you know that ..you fecking idiot.

Good to see the same old same old on these threads.
Ill leave you to your circle jerk.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería

Don't you remember people frothing at the mouth about pictures like this:

kos-greece-island-refugees-migrants.jpg

You were probably one of the people ranting about it.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
What is the context of the photo ?

Lots of pics like this have circulated this year, showing happy refugees taking selfies upon reaching Europe. The photos were shared on social media and in the press and used as a stick to beat refugees with as they had the audacity to be smiling and carrying a mobile phone.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
My phone would be one of the few material goods I would be sure to grab on fleeing. It would be a refugees most important tool surely?

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
Lots of pics like this have circulated this year, showing happy refugees taking selfies upon reaching Europe. The photos were shared on social media and in the press and used as a stick to beat refugees with as they had the audacity to be smiling and carrying a mobile phone.

Have they not fled Turkey ( member of Nato btw ) for Greece ?

Jan 30, 2008
NO, WHY WOULD THEY.............. they can buy them here:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:
regards
DR

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006

Well it is hardly a qualification of a precarious crossing and extreme hardship is it .......................

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here