Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

UK net migration hits record high

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
They did, but I believe the boat people had landed on UK territories in the first place. Had they not landed in Hong Kong it's most likely the UK would not have been involved in my opinion.
The amount of times you've berated me for posting an ''opinion'' rather than facts or your beloved statistics................

Pork Knuckle Pete

at the meat party
Nov 1, 2010
what about the rest of europe ? and the US ?

I guess the US felt an obligation for obvious reasons. As for the rest of Europe, and I admit I have just looked this point up, it appears that they mainly first came to the UK but after time joined larger Vietnamese communities across Europe.

Pork Knuckle Pete

at the meat party
Nov 1, 2010
what about the rest of europe ? and the US ?

****EDIT****
The number of boat people leaving Vietnam and arriving safely in another country totalled almost 800,000 between 1975 and 1995. Many of the refugees failed to survive the passage, facing danger and hardship from pirates, over-crowded boats, and storms. The boat people's first destinations were the Southeast Asian countries of Hong Kong (then a British crown colony), Indonesia, Malaysia, Philippines, Singapore and Thailand. The mass flight of hundreds of thousands of boat people from Vietnam in 1978 and 1979 caused an international humanitarian crisis with the Southeast Asian countries increasingly unwilling to accept more boat people on their shores. After negotiations and an international conference in 1979, Vietnam agreed to limit the flow of people leaving the country, the Southeast Asian countries agreed to admit the boat people temporarily, and the rest of the world, especially the developed countries, agreed to assume most of the costs of caring for the boat people and to resettle them in their countries.

From refugee camps in Southeast Asia, the great majority of boat people were resettled in developed countries, more than one-half in the United States and most of the remainder in France, Canada, Australia, Germany, and the United Kingdom

Correct. I've covered all this in post #1250

Guy Crouchback

Jun 20, 2012
I guess the US felt an obligation for obvious reasons. As for the rest of Europe, and I admit I have just looked this point up, it appears that they mainly first came to the UK but after time joined larger Vietnamese communities across Europe.

Not many people know that Poland is the third (after France and Germany) centre of Vietnamese immigration in Europe. They are lovely people, hard-working and never causing any trouble.

And if the sh*t ever hits the fan and Russians invade, we will just give the Vietnamese some mortars and kalashnikovs and we'll have the best forest guerillas in the world. ;)

Last edited:

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Hmm... I must admit that I am having second thoughts about all this after reading press reports about first Syrian families that came to Poland. First group of Syrian refugees came to Poland about a month ago and they don't seem to be very happy about their living conditions and benefits they received (even though they were running away from war)--they complain that the apartments they were given are too small, and that they receive too little money (every Syrian family of 4 members received about 3000 zlotys/month, which is more than average wage in Poland, and equivalent to about 2.5 Polish minimum monthly wages). Some of them apparently are thinking of going (or already have gone) to Germany, and one of them told a Polish journalist that he would rather go back to Syria than starve in Poland ("starve"--can you imagine? they were given more money than many Poles earn in full-time jobs).

They also complain that free Polish language courses were not organised for them and that they have to pay for city transport tickets.

And they are people whom we saved from horrors of war, ISIS, bombs, beheadings etc. etc. ... mind-boggling...

I do genuinely feel for you. This must have come as quite an unpleasant surprise. given the idealism that you showed. It does highlight the problems as I am sure that the significance of the sums of money which you mention were handed to them, will not be lost on Polish families, who may well see the situation as one of basic unfairness.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Not many people know that Poland is the third (after France and Germany) centre of Vietnamese immigration in Europe. They are lovely people, hard-working and never causing any trouble.

And if the sh*t ever hits the fan and Russians invade, we will just give the Vietnamese some mortars and kalashnikovs and we'll have the best forest guerillas in the world. ;)

Same here with the Chinese, Thais, Nepalese etc.....they cause no trouble either, in fact most are fine...does not mean we have the room and infrastructure to keep taking loads more.

Guy Crouchback

Jun 20, 2012
I do genuinely feel for you. This must have come as quite an unpleasant surprise. given the idealism that you showed. It does highlight the problems as I am sure that the significance of the sums of money which you mention were handed to them, will not be lost on Polish families, who may well see the situation as one of basic unfairness.

It is an unpleasant surprise indeed; perhaps the press articles were exaggerated, and everything will work out for the best... here's hoping.

Pork Knuckle Pete

at the meat party
Nov 1, 2010
Same here with the Chinese, Thais, Nepalese etc.....they cause no trouble either, in fact most are fine...does not mean we have the room and infrastructure to keep taking loads more.

I never knew Sompting was so multicultural. Thanks for the heads up as I might consider living there should I return to the UK.

Pork Knuckle Pete

at the meat party
Nov 1, 2010

I didn't know that. I have a little insight as a former boss was a Vietnamese refugee but mainly from a UK perspective. As an aside he also coached Junior McDougald at football.

Out of interest what's your Brighton connection? No agenda, genuinely interested.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Russia is arming and backing Assad and helping to create the crisis . Western Europe absorbing muslim migrants can only benefit Putin in the long run .

I wouldn't blame Assad for this crisis. We encouraged the uprising and painted him as the devil. It is often overlooked that he had agreed in principle to give Syria a democratically elected government but not for it to happen overnight as the West demanded.

On one hand we are promoting democracy and on the other we are telling people to revolt and lynch him, which was an open invitation to ISIS to become involved. Some of the rhetoric the West spill out is a big part of the problem. I think in plain English we call it 5hit stirring.

Syria was a stable and peaceful country, not far off democracy, before this and Assad didn't have a reputation of being a blood thirsty executioner.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
I never knew Sompting was so multicultural. Thanks for the heads up as I might consider living there should I return to the UK.

Very droll HT, even a change of username can not improve your humour. I live and work in the UK... i have never worked in Sompting, i just live there.
Lets face it, if the UK gets worse, you can stay where you are.........for us that LIVE here, well we just want the best for our country and our children's future. We may not agree, but we DO live here, unlike you.

Guy Crouchback

Jun 20, 2012
Out of interest what's your Brighton connection? No agenda, genuinely interested.

No connection at all. I've never even been to England. Joined the forum when Albion signed Tomek Kuszczak, and I sort of stayed. BHA is doomed to success, and I want to be able to tell all the other Polish glory hunters who will join NSC after Seagulls qualify to the Champions League that I WAS HERE FIRST.

Pork Knuckle Pete

at the meat party
Nov 1, 2010
Very droll HT, even a change of username can not improve your humour. I live and work in the UK... i have never worked in Sompting, i just live there.
Lets face it, if the UK gets worse, you can stay where you are.........for us that LIVE here, well we just want the best for our country and our children's future. We may not agree, but we DO live here, unlike you.

We agree that we want the best for the UK, and my family and friends future etc. why else would I be an active member of the Labour Party? It's certainly not for fun. Our vision and means of achievement differ though. Also, my work is UK based, and I pay business taxes in the UK; I do contribute. I'm happy for you to criticise my beliefs etc but I think it's unfair to suggest I don't care about the UK...I do.

Pork Knuckle Pete

at the meat party
Nov 1, 2010
No connection at all. I've never even been to England. Joined the forum when Albion signed Tomek Kuszczak, and I sort of stayed. BHA is doomed to success, and I want to be able to tell all the other Polish glory hunters who will join NSC after Seagulls qualify to the Champions League that I WAS HERE FIRST.

Fair play. I like these random connections. And your Albion aspirations.

PS I really need to visit Gdansk, a beautiful city.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here