Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

UK net migration hits record high

Guy Crouchback

Jun 20, 2012
Hmm... I must admit that I am having second thoughts about all this after reading press reports about first Syrian families that came to Poland. First group of Syrian refugees came to Poland about a month ago and they don't seem to be very happy about their living conditions and benefits they received (even though they were running away from war)--they complain that the apartments they were given are too small, and that they receive too little money (every Syrian family of 4 members received about 3000 zlotys/month, which is more than average wage in Poland, and equivalent to about 2.5 Polish minimum monthly wages). Some of them apparently are thinking of going (or already have gone) to Germany, and one of them told a Polish journalist that he would rather go back to Syria than starve in Poland ("starve"--can you imagine? they were given more money than many Poles earn in full-time jobs).

They also complain that free Polish language courses were not organised for them and that they have to pay for city transport tickets.

And they are people whom we saved from horrors of war, ISIS, bombs, beheadings etc. etc. ... mind-boggling...

Last edited:

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Hmm... I must admit that I am having second thoughts about all this after reading press reports about first Syrian families that came to Poland. First group of Syrian refugees came to Poland about a month ago and they don't seem to be very happy about their living conditions and benefits they received (even though they were running away from war)--they complain that the apartments they were given are too small, and that they receive too little money (every Syrian family of 4-members received about 3000 zlotys/month, which is more than average wage in Poland, and equivalent to about 2.5 Polish minimum monthly wages). Some of them apparently are thinking of going (or already have gone) to Germany, and one of them told a Polish journalist that he would rather go back to Syria than starve in Poland ("starve"--can you imagine? they were given more mney than many Poles earn in full-time jobs).

They also complain that free Polish language courses were not organised for them and that they have to pay for city transport tickets.

And they are people whom we saved from horrors of war, ISIS, bombs, beheadings etc. etc. ... mind-boggling...

After your previous comments and stance, i commend you for coming out with this post. I wonder how many more opinions will perhaps change a little in the coming months.

gregbrighton

Aug 10, 2014
Brighton
From Guardian live coverage:

Emma Graham-Harrison reports that in Munich station dozens of Germans have lined up behind police barriers to welcome the refugees to their new home, as a sophisticated operation provided food and transport to temporary lodging.
“We just wanted them to know that the torture is over,” said Hedy Gupta, a grandmother handing out slabs of chocolate and welcoming cheers. “I have children and a five year old grandchild of my own and when I think what they have been through these children, it leaves me on the ground.”
Beside her on the barricades of welcome was Waltraud Volger, a legal assistant who lives nearby. “I heard about it on the radio around one today and just gathered what food and clothes I had and came over to donate it and offer to help. They have so many volunteers though that they haven’t needed me so I’m just standing here welcoming the with clapping.
“I’ve never done anything like this before, but when you hear their stories and see the pictures you can’t just stand by.” Four hours in she had no plans to leave if the trains are still rolling in.

Good to see the Germans welcoming these people rather than being hostile and treating the refugees with suspicion. I hope when the refugees reach these shores our citizens will be as warm and welcoming.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Which were not the countries in the post you were replying to, the post and countries being "How come the onus is continually on Europe to accommodate 100% of the refugees?
Why can't Australia, NZ, Canada, USA, Russia, Japan, South Africa, Brazil etc step up and offer refuge?"

I was requesting clarification which refugees he was talking about as it can be implied, and now doubt has been, that all refugees from Syria are trying to get to Europe. Is that ok with you?

As to why these countries cannot take refugees, it is a fair and valid question to which I do not know the answer. In the case of South Africa, the idiotic president has been sucking up to Assad recently and with the countries recent experiences with "xenophobic" attacks, I suspect that SA would not be hugely safe for them, depending upon where they went of course. And before you ask, I would happily take in a Syrian refugee family.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Hmm... I must admit that I am having second thoughts about all this after reading press reports about first Syrian families that came to Poland. First group of Syrian refugees came to Poland about a month ago and they don't seem to be very happy about their living conditions and benefits they received (even though they were running away from war)--they complain that the apartments they were given are too small, and that they receive too little money (every Syrian family of 4 members received about 3000 zlotys/month, which is more than average wage in Poland, and equivalent to about 2.5 Polish minimum monthly wages). Some of them apparently are thinking of going (or already have gone) to Germany, and one of them told a Polish journalist that he would rather go back to Syria than starve in Poland ("starve"--can you imagine? they were given more money than many Poles earn in full-time jobs).

Have they been promised things that they are not getting?

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
So, you defend criticising someone for blowing their own trumpet by blowing your own trumpet. Genius :lolol:

What a pathetic post. Bring Mr T back any time - the standard of these are going down by the day. The original post asked me, in a manner that left something to be desired, as to what I had done and so I informed him. At no other time, have I mentioned much of this other than when talking about education. And you come up with this nonsense.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
So the photo is wrong then eh, or are you being deliberately evasive and deflective.

again,

According to your photo, all refugees are fleeing to Britain, Germany and Sweden. Yes?

It also implys that they are only doing so for the benefits.

gregbrighton

Aug 10, 2014
Brighton
What a pathetic post. Bring Mr T back any time - the standard of these are going down by the day. The original post asked me, in a manner that left something to be desired, as to what I had done and so I informed him. At no other time, have I mentioned much of this other than when talking about education. And you come up with this nonsense.

Exactly Pork Knuckle Pete! It's great to see your government and citizens welcome the refugees with open arms! :cheers:

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
I was requesting clarification which refugees he was talking about as it can be implied, and now doubt has been, that all refugees from Syria are trying to get to Europe. Is that ok with you?

As to why these countries cannot take refugees, it is a fair and valid question to which I do not know the answer. In the case of South Africa, the idiotic president has been sucking up to Assad recently and with the countries recent experiences with "xenophobic" attacks, I suspect that SA would not be hugely safe for them, depending upon where they went of course. And before you ask, I would happily take in a Syrian refugee family.
But dammit, my wonderful humanitarian gesture wont be put to the test :D

Pork Knuckle Pete

at the meat party
Nov 1, 2010
Why can't Australia, NZ, Canada, USA, Russia, Japan, South Africa, Brazil etc step up and offer refuge?"

Fair point. Maybe the man in the moon can take some as well? And them Martians have plenty of space. Or maybe geography and practicality plays a part?

Guy Crouchback

Jun 20, 2012
Have they been promised things that they are not getting?

Not according to the Esther Foundation who brought them to Poland. The refugees are accusing the foundation of not providing them with enough money and too small apartments, to which the foundation people reply that the refugees buy too expensive food (for example a yoghurt for 12pln when it can be bought for 2pln) and that after being given apartments suitable for the number of people in a family, they invite other members of their families and complain about overcrowding.

The truth probably lies in the middle (as usual), but still one would expect more gratitude from people saved from war, especially that they enjoy better living conditions than many Polish families do.

Last edited:

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Fair point. Maybe the man in the moon can take some as well? And them Martians have plenty of space. Or maybe geography and practicality plays a part?
really ?? so no vietnamese boat people came to europe then ?

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
From Guardian live coverage:

Emma Graham-Harrison reports that in Munich station dozens of Germans have lined up behind police barriers to welcome the refugees to their new home, as a sophisticated operation provided food and transport to temporary lodging.
“We just wanted them to know that the torture is over,” said Hedy Gupta, a grandmother handing out slabs of chocolate and welcoming cheers. “I have children and a five year old grandchild of my own and when I think what they have been through these children, it leaves me on the ground.”
Beside her on the barricades of welcome was Waltraud Volger, a legal assistant who lives nearby. “I heard about it on the radio around one today and just gathered what food and clothes I had and came over to donate it and offer to help. They have so many volunteers though that they haven’t needed me so I’m just standing here welcoming the with clapping.
“I’ve never done anything like this before, but when you hear their stories and see the pictures you can’t just stand by.” Four hours in she had no plans to leave if the trains are still rolling in.

Good to see the Germans welcoming these people rather than being hostile and treating the refugees with suspicion. I hope when the refugees reach these shores our citizens will be as warm and welcoming.

Don't you think this message is now getting rather tedious - we know you want them to be welcomed. I rather suspect that your main aim here, rather than congratulating the Germans, is simply to make a point at those whom you consider to be less willing to welcome them. Whilst I do not dispute for one moment the laudable kindness that dozens have shown, as I watch German TV most nights and have seen that, it is not necessarily typical. To hear that 800,000 are coming, and with every indication, now that Merkel has thrown open the doors, that year on year will see a similar figure, it is hard to think that this will be universally regarded with enthusiasm.

Pork Knuckle Pete

at the meat party
Nov 1, 2010
really ?? so no vietnamese boat people came to europe then ?

They did, but I believe the boat people had landed on UK territories in the first place. Had they not landed in Hong Kong it's most likely the UK would not have been involved in my opinion.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
They did, but I believe the boat people had landed on UK territories in the first place. Had they not landed in Hong Kong it's most likely the UK would not have been involved in my opinion.
what about the rest of europe ? and the US ?

****EDIT****
The number of boat people leaving Vietnam and arriving safely in another country totalled almost 800,000 between 1975 and 1995. Many of the refugees failed to survive the passage, facing danger and hardship from pirates, over-crowded boats, and storms. The boat people's first destinations were the Southeast Asian countries of Hong Kong (then a British crown colony), Indonesia, Malaysia, Philippines, Singapore and Thailand. The mass flight of hundreds of thousands of boat people from Vietnam in 1978 and 1979 caused an international humanitarian crisis with the Southeast Asian countries increasingly unwilling to accept more boat people on their shores. After negotiations and an international conference in 1979, Vietnam agreed to limit the flow of people leaving the country, the Southeast Asian countries agreed to admit the boat people temporarily, and the rest of the world, especially the developed countries, agreed to assume most of the costs of caring for the boat people and to resettle them in their countries.

From refugee camps in Southeast Asia, the great majority of boat people were resettled in developed countries, more than one-half in the United States and most of the remainder in France, Canada, Australia, Germany, and the United Kingdom

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here