Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

UK net migration hits record high

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Changing the subject a bit, Andy Burnham has made a good point that if Cameron wants to start negotiating and obtaining a revised EU Treaty then maybe now is a time to show leadership, fully engage with the EU to resolve this crisis and in turn build those important relationships he'll need in the future?

Advice from a member of party that was in government for 13 years and invited/encouraged uncontrolled immigration..........yeh ok.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Changing the subject a bit, Andy Burnham has made a good point that if Cameron wants to start negotiating and obtaining a revised EU Treaty then maybe now is a time to show leadership, fully engage with the EU to resolve this crisis and in turn build those important relationships he'll need in the future?
You can't build relationships with these types or negotiate...The sooner we get out of this pathetic EU the better.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
You can't build relationships with these types or negotiate...The sooner we get out of this pathetic EU the better.
World war 3 is just around the corner and our tiny little island will be destroyed in the first couple of weeks so try to enjoy what's left of life..

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Ah the old you play ball now and things will be rosier for you later chestnut.........the way EU member states have shockingly reneged on the schengen and dublin agreements during this whole mass migration debacle for months would make me think they cant be trusted to keep any agreement ever

Burnham is a fool if he believes this

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
i don't think Pete is trying to cover himself with glory. What the **** have you done?

Another pleasant post when you don't like to read something. Somehow your posts don't measure up to the lovely caring person you otherwise claim to be. Me? What about 35 years in education, 25 of which were spent on the pastoral side helping hundreds of kids, some of whom were thoroughly underserving of the countless hours spent on them. And of course the mum in our house with moderate Alzheimers who no one else in the family wanted. And a German citation for inter communal work. Since you do ask.
You see, my friend, because other folk are wary as to the possible consequences of uncontrolled immigration, it does not mean that they lack humanity, compassion etc etc. and it is intensely irritating when one is accused of a lack of compassion by folk who themselves have no real intention to go out of their way to help, but just use the relative anonymity of the internet to make themselves look good. You do help, so you say, so good on you, but please don't assume that if someone points out the dangers of uncontrolled immigration, they lack this and that. You did not answer my question, by the way, which shows that you are in fact aware.

D

Deleted member 22389

Ah the old you play ball now and things will be rosier for you later chestnut.........the way EU member states have shockingly reneged on the schengen and dublin agreements during this whole mass migration debacle for months would make me think they cant be trusted to keep any agreement ever

Burnham is a fool if he believes this

It's quite unbelievable isn't it.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
1) Read my post again. I clearly stated in the very first sentence it's the wife helping; nothing to do with me. I don't take any glory for anything the Frau does. She's her own person.
2) Do you see the irony of you stating "No one knows anything about this chap"? How do you know this? How do you know what the authorities here know? How do you know what his school knows? Do you even know who this kid is or who his parents are? No, you know nothing more than the post you quoted but you're very very quick to judge on very limited information.

Ok, it was your wife -she is so lovely. Apologies -you are obviously on the same pedestal! (joke)
Looking again at what I wrote, I meant that no one on this forum knows about this chap, so lecturing anyone here about him is at best grossly unfair.

gregbrighton

Aug 10, 2014
Brighton
Guardian news

A group of friends have set up a fundraiser “to give the displaced people stuck at Calais a break”. They will be raising money and delivering essential daily items on 10 October. You can donate money to them
here

gregbrighton

Aug 10, 2014
Brighton
Another pleasant post when you don't like to read something. Somehow your posts don't measure up to the lovely caring person you otherwise claim to be. Me? What about 35 years in education, 25 of which were spent on the pastoral side helping hundreds of kids, some of whom were thoroughly underserving of the countless hours spent on them. And of course the mum in our house with moderate Alzheimers who no one else in the family wanted. And a German citation for inter communal work. Since you do ask.
You see, my friend, because other folk are wary as to the possible consequences of uncontrolled immigration, it does not mean that they lack humanity, compassion etc etc. and it is intensely irritating when one is accused of a lack of compassion by folk who themselves have no real intention to go out of their way to help, but just use the relative anonymity of the internet to make themselves look good. You do help, so you say, so good on you, but please don't assume that if someone points out the dangers of uncontrolled immigration, they lack this and that. You did not answer my question, by the way, which shows that you are in fact aware.

ah, there you go blowing your own trumpet. Stop crowing, shut up and get the **** on with it! :D

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting

Good post.
You are replying to a poster that champions those that have signed up to house the 4,000 refugees, dissed others, but by his own admission lives in a studio flat so can not be included.
Where were these 4,000 homes a year ago when the disgust was shown at the amount of homeless on our own streets. A trip down to Brighton today and those that have put themselves forward can home someone whilst they wait for the Syrian refugee to move in.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Guardian news

A group of friends have set up a fundraiser “to give the displaced people stuck at Calais a break”. They will be raising money and delivering essential daily items on 10 October. You can donate money to them
here

the good news is they wont be "stuck" in Calais for much longer,the British and French have agreed a new facility away from Calais where these migrants can register for asylum in France more efficiently and quicker

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
To be honest it's a point which a 10 year old could make.

HT,here's an article from Berlin, from the good old BBC, TODAY.

"'Im in Berlin reporting for Newsnight at the moment on the crisis engulfing Europe. Here are a few of the wider issues I think it's worth reflecting on.
People Are Seeking a Better Life
Arguments about names - "migrant" versus "refugee" for example - ignore the complexity of many peoples' motivation.

Speaking to Faris, a Syrian from Aleppo, at the Berlin refugee reception centre, it's clear that he is escaping a vicious war.

But when I asked him what he would think about a European Union quota system that might require him to move on to Poland or the UK he insisted, "I want to stay in Germany," adding this was because of the quality of education available. As soon as he's settled, Faris intends to send for his wife and children.

The current argument within the EU about the so-called "Dublin 2" rules takes us back though to the distinction between asylum seekers (or refugees in this context) and others.
The rules dictate that people fleeing persecution or war seek asylum in the first EU country they get to. In the current crisis, this would most often be Greece or Italy, but it's clear that many have no intention of settling there.
By the simple definitions of the Dublin 2 rules, there's not much debate - those who end up in places like the Berlin refugee centre are migrants since they have crossed through a number of other EU countries to get there. The search for a better life starts with physical security - but for a great many it is also tied to questions of opportunity.
Another recurrent argument concerns the degree to which European countries are responsible for creating this crisis. There is clearly a case to answer in the matter of Nato's overthrow of Colonel Gaddafi's Libyan government, which removed the obstacles to people crossing the Mediterranean from there.

That said, this culpability is largely irrelevant to the other (and bigger) migration route through Turkey and the Balkans to Germany, Austria and Sweden.

Some chose to blame the West for not intervening (producing the largest single flow of refugees, that from Syria), others for intervening (in Afghanistan, Iraq and Libya).

In the case of some of the other large contingents in the current crisis (Eritreans, or Nigerians for example) the issue of Western intervention or non-intervention is largely irrelevant.

Politicians and experts talk about the "push" and "pull" factors in these movements of people. War or abject misery pushes, opportunity in western countries provides the pull. There are other pulls too. Mohammed, a Syrian I met in a Turkish camp several months ago told he would try to get to Britain - because he had a brother already in Scotland.
In some countries (including Greece and Serbia) the governments appear to have decided that so long as they remain slick, and refugees simply slide through them, these flows need not be a huge problem. In fact they can present a modest earning opportunity for the local economy. Providers of food, lodging, and transport are all gaining - as well as the people smugglers.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-34158660

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
How come the onus is continually on Europe to accommodate 100% of the refugees?

Why can't Australia, NZ, Canada, USA, Russia, Japan, South Africa, Brazil etc step up and offer refuge?

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting

Why can't Australia, NZ, Canada, USA, Russia, Japan, South Africa, Brazil etc step up and offer refuge?

The 5 big and rich Middle Eastern countries around Syria would be a start as well. Seems the guilt trip is on our shoulders.

D

Deleted member 22389

HT,here's an article from Berlin, from the good old BBC, TODAY.

"'Im in Berlin reporting for Newsnight at the moment on the crisis engulfing Europe. Here are a few of the wider issues I think it's worth reflecting on.
People Are Seeking a Better Life
Arguments about names - "migrant" versus "refugee" for example - ignore the complexity of many peoples' motivation.

Speaking to Faris, a Syrian from Aleppo, at the Berlin refugee reception centre, it's clear that he is escaping a vicious war.

But when I asked him what he would think about a European Union quota system that might require him to move on to Poland or the UK he insisted, "I want to stay in Germany," adding this was because of the quality of education available. As soon as he's settled, Faris intends to send for his wife and children.

The current argument within the EU about the so-called "Dublin 2" rules takes us back though to the distinction between asylum seekers (or refugees in this context) and others.
The rules dictate that people fleeing persecution or war seek asylum in the first EU country they get to. In the current crisis, this would most often be Greece or Italy, but it's clear that many have no intention of settling there.
By the simple definitions of the Dublin 2 rules, there's not much debate - those who end up in places like the Berlin refugee centre are migrants since they have crossed through a number of other EU countries to get there. The search for a better life starts with physical security - but for a great many it is also tied to questions of opportunity.
Another recurrent argument concerns the degree to which European countries are responsible for creating this crisis. There is clearly a case to answer in the matter of Nato's overthrow of Colonel Gaddafi's Libyan government, which removed the obstacles to people crossing the Mediterranean from there.

That said, this culpability is largely irrelevant to the other (and bigger) migration route through Turkey and the Balkans to Germany, Austria and Sweden.

Some chose to blame the West for not intervening (producing the largest single flow of refugees, that from Syria), others for intervening (in Afghanistan, Iraq and Libya).

In the case of some of the other large contingents in the current crisis (Eritreans, or Nigerians for example) the issue of Western intervention or non-intervention is largely irrelevant.

Politicians and experts talk about the "push" and "pull" factors in these movements of people. War or abject misery pushes, opportunity in western countries provides the pull. There are other pulls too. Mohammed, a Syrian I met in a Turkish camp several months ago told he would try to get to Britain - because he had a brother already in Scotland.
In some countries (including Greece and Serbia) the governments appear to have decided that so long as they remain slick, and refugees simply slide through them, these flows need not be a huge problem. In fact they can present a modest earning opportunity for the local economy. Providers of food, lodging, and transport are all gaining - as well as the people smugglers.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-34158660

And this is the problem Germany now faces, what to do with the people that have to move on. These people will not move on.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013

They should really, humanity is a worldwide issue

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here