Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

UK net migration hits record high

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Hmmm. Imagine you a fleeing a country overrun by murderous lunatics. Imagine you are a young fit male with more than half a brain. Of course you will aim for the best economic environment your legs will carry you too. But you are still nevertheless leaving your own country because of the murderous hoards there who will kill you if they find you.

Anyone fleeing a murderous hoard of lunatics who is prepared to settle in the first bit of dirt in Turkey or Greece in which they land is, in my view, an idiot. Of course they will try to get to the place that best vits their needs, somewhere that speaks the lingua franca (English) and has a reputation for stability and fairness, and where they are not likely to be thrown in a refugee camp.

OK, so you may not want them over here, but that's a different issue. Just because they want to come here does not make them bad people ('economic migrants').

With respect, my friend, this is an absurd response as you have missed my point. I am not disputing what you write at all, and I am sure that it is what I might do. But the point is that you are then an economic migrant rather than a refugee, once you decide to cherry pick your way through Europe. By the way, your statement about the language is rather ironic, given that the large numbers seem to prefer Germany at present! And quite why you decide to introduce the idea that they are bad people is unclear -presumably to lend a bit of credence to your post. I don't think I have ever read anyone's post saying that they are bad people as such, just that we should be sure that they are economic migrants.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
They were fostered weren't they? Fostering is a compassionate act as far as I am concerned and fairly selfless.

edit: no apparently they were adopted so he is in fact a selfish wanker :)
I very much doubt he is a selfish wanker , but his post was disingenuous.

gregbrighton

Aug 10, 2014
Brighton
Go over and help them then if you're that bothered still taking the media medicine:rolleyes:
regards
DR

There are people who do want to help displaced Syrians.

If you want to help home a Syrian or be a volunteer take a look at this website. Thousands have already pledged their help.

It is good to see the human spirit of ordinary people willing to open their homes to assist those in crisis and conflict.

If you want to help locally, the Migrant English Project based at the Crowley Club in London Road always welcome volunteers to teach English and provide support or help behind the scenes. I was a volunteer there and I got a totally different picture of these people, far removed from that portrayed by the media and unsympathetic politicians.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
With respect, my friend, this is an absurd response as you have missed my point. I am not disputing what you write at all, and I am sure that it is what I might do. But the point is that you are then an economic migrant rather than a refugee, once you decide to cherry pick your way through Europe. By the way, your statement about the language is rather ironic, given that the large numbers seem to prefer Germany at present! And quite why you decide to introduce the idea that they are bad people is unclear -presumably to lend a bit of credence to your post. I don't think I have ever read anyone's post saying that they are bad people as such, just that we should be sure that they are economic migrants.

Could you provide the definition that proves this sentence?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Or i might stay and fight for my country like some of them have , ever thought of that ?

Yes.

Would you do that? Serious question. I don't know what I'd do.

If it was England and the place had been taken over by murderous lunatic Christians . . . well its a bit hard to imagine, but I would certainly not flee. I love my country and my life in it. I would imagine I could easily find groups of intelligent armed insurgents and yes I would join them.

If I was a Syrian, though, facing people who would kill me if they found me, and who were razing the country of all vestigas of humanity . . . . no recognisable opposition to join up with, just me and my bare fists . . . hmmm....

Actually, the main reason the answer would be 'no' is that Syria is not a place I'd want to spend the rest of my life in. Not sure if this means that in fact the migrants have no right to flee. I'm not Syrian so I really don't think its possible to answer your question.

I am concerned about the direction of this conversation. I am wondering whether next someone might suggest that the jews should have stayed in Germany and Poland and fought for their future in 'their' country, especially the young fit males, instead of attempting to flee from the Nazis.

cunning fergus

NSC Patron
Jan 18, 2009
No, I am saying what On the Left Wing said, which was:

I know, but these Syrians want to go to Germany not here.

Are they drawn to Germany because of its Christian history.............it was the Holy Roman Empire, and was known as such much longer than Germany............Germany as a political state is less than 150 years old.

What glorious things it's people and leaders achieved in that short time.

Which is why it's strange hundreds of thousands want to go there.............unless it's not it's history but something else?

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
There are people who do want to help displaced Syrians.

If you want to help home a Syrian or be a volunteer take a look at this website. Thousands have already pledged their help.

It is good to see the human spirit of ordinary people willing to open their homes to assist those in crisis and conflict.

are they helping displaced Kosovans as well or just Syrians?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
...Why do you think that refugees should be devoid of aspiration, and indeed not allowed aspiration or risk being 'found out' as having some sort desire above and beyound collapsing in the first available bit of dirt?

i dont think that, and said so. i have no issue with peoples desire to improve themselves. i have an issue with the lack of recogition that that is now their primary purpose (having already reached a safe place), and the apparent notion they must be treated with special exemptions because they have come from a war zone.

the issues of economic migrants and coping with a refugee crisis are being conflated, they are not the same problem and require different solutions. one country in particular is drving this agenda and creating a pull, encouraging refugees to leave their initial point of refuge and migrate across countries in search of something else. in Hungary they refused to claim asylum there or even register to claim asylum in Germany from there.

gregbrighton

Aug 10, 2014
Brighton
are they helping displaced Kosovans as well or just Syrians?

It says Syrians, pastafarian. I think the campaign is related to David Cameron's pledge to bring 4000 Syrian refugees. If 4000 people (the site pledges have reached over 4000) are willing to house the refugees in their homes and mentor them that can be a positive outcome, in my opinion.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Yes.

If it was England and the place had been taken over by murderous lunatic Christians . . . well its a bit hard to imagine, but I would certainly not flee. I love my country and my life in it. I would imagine I could easily find groups of intelligent armed insurgents and yes I would join them.

If I was a Syrian, though, facing people who would kill me if they found me, and who were razing the country of all vestigas of humanity . . . . no recognisable opposition to join up with, just me and my bare fists . . . hmmm....

Actually, the main reason the answer would be 'no' is that Syria is not a place I'd want to spend the rest of my life in. Not sure if this means that in fact the migrants have no right to flee. I'm not Syrian so I really don't think its possible to answer your question.

I am concerned about the direction of this conversation. I am wondering whether next someone might suggest that the jews should have stayed in Germany and Poland and fought for their future in 'their' country, especially the young fit males, instead of attempting to flee from the Nazis.
That's a good analogy actually[emoji106]

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
i dont think that, and said so. i have no issue with peoples desire to improve themselves. i have an issue with the lack of recogition that that is now their primary purpose (having already reached a safe place), and the apparent notion they must be treated with special exemptions because they have come from a war zone.

the issues of economic migrants and coping with a refugee crisis are being conflated, they are not the same problem and require different solutions. one country in particular is drving this agenda and creating a pull, encouraging refugees to leave their initial point of refuge and migrate across countries in search of something else. in Hungary they refused to claim asylum there or even register to claim asylum in Germany from there.

OK. I agree with you, then. Nuance. :cheers:

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
You do realise we have more than enough money over here! The problem is OUR government! They want to keep the poor poor so they can stay RICH! All the cuts are for their gain and we just put up with it!

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
With the cuts in welfare, social housing stock being at an all time low and local councils having had their fundings reduced how is all this going to be costed ? Are we now saying Austerity is over and we must spend like Jeremy Corbyn has suggested we do ?

I did read somewhere that taking in a refugee from a Syrian camp under the programme that is being advocated is fully funded for one year out of the international coffers.There is no financial cost to the UK taxpayer in the first year. Those taking in refugees will have rent paid to them and have the refugee fully funded,for food,clothing etc.
As for social housing,there was some charity bigwig on sky yesterday who said no public or social housing should be used for the incoming Syrian refugees,everything will hopefully depend on people opening up their houses.
what happens after a year funding wise,i dont know,there is no way Syria is going to be safe to return to any time soon

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Yes.

Yes, without a doubt.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here