Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

UK net migration hits record high

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Excellent post.

Just been watching bbc world, and tge footage of the guy wrestling the woman with the baby onto the railway tracks is accompanied by the reporters statement that he fell! I cannot even begin tp understand their desperation, but these sorts of statements in spite of the visual evidence, are astounding. The way this crisis is being reported is plain wrong, and very damaging to a debate we need to have sensibly.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
never knew you cared :wanker:
regards
DR
e362af20462264a8c1bfe2366dbf8fef.jpg

This sums you up perfectly lol

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
1.75m in Turkey, 1.2m in Lebanon, 630,000 in Jordan, 105,000 in Germany, 5,000 in the UK. But that's not a fair share apparently.
To what extent have you thought about the whole picture when quoting these meaningless figures, as far as UK and Germany are concerned, to try and make some point. You have of course taken into account the UK's record, as opposed to Germany over the last decade, and you do of course know how many immigrants we already have. You have also worked out the number whose applications have been granted as opposed to simply being an application, and you have also taken into account the high number of illegal immigrants here. You do also know about the status of Gastarbeiter in Germany for many years as opposed to the British granting nationality to Asian immigrants - this is the advantage of being in Africa and commenting on Britain.

Jan 30, 2008
Just been watching bbc world, and tge footage of the guy wrestling the woman with the baby onto the railway tracks is accompanied by the reporters statement that he fell! I cannot even begin tp understand their desperation, but these sorts of statements in spite of the visual evidence, are astounding. The way this crisis is being reported is plain wrong, and very damaging to a debate we need to have sensibly.
LEFT WING BBC enough said
regards
DR

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Asylum seekers do not have the right to get asylum in 1 EU country, and then just move to another.

They do not suddenly have freedom of movement throughout Europe, so no worries on that score.

Thanks. Please don't be offended, but is this true, because Creakey was claiming exactly the opposite. Where could I find any info on this -how did you know? Not doubting. just intrigued.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
This is quite an important point you raise and highlights one of the issues as to why various EU countries currently seem to be unable to come together to deal with the refugee problem,there simply is no cohesive standard amongst member states as what to do with people once they are granted refugee status, even with the raft of legislation and treaty signing that is claimed binds us all together.
Refugees(remember this is different status to seeking asylum) can obviously travel to other countries(in accordance with general rules that apply to entry in various countries) as they can have travel documents should they wish them under the Geneva Convention.
Getting refugee status in the EU will get you either a temporary residence permit issued by and valid for that particular country or a EU Long Term residence permit(not the same as permanent residence or citizenship).

France allows those with temp permits to enter the country and live and work indefinitely. Germany allows temp permit holders to stay for 3 months but cannot work,a visa is required to seek employment and live if more than 3 months.Italy runs along the same lines as Germany. Latvia requires no such visa and doesnt differ between temp and long term permits.Luxembourg allows only visitation rights for both permit holders and no right to reside or work,Estonia allows visits for 90 days in a 6 month period and visas in accordance with its own Alien Act.Think you can see the various discrepancies here.

As for the UK,refugee residence permits issued here allow refugees to reside and work in the UK only and are not valid in Europe.Likewise temp and long term refugee permits issued in Europe do not allow for entry into the UK to live or work.

To confuse matters further various EU nations have been chopping and changing up their own rules,or should i say their interpretation of Schengen rules over the past few weeks........its all a bit of a mess.

Many thanks. this does not surprise me in the slightest, and rather like the numbers, it explains why folk will selectively quote what suits their argument, as there is scope for this with so much confusion. I know the EU is not your favourite institution, but to be fair to them, no one had really anticipated this chaos even a year ago, let alone when these rules were worked out. But it does make a bit of a farce of the idea that we are all one union.

Pork Knuckle Pete

at the meat party
Nov 1, 2010
Thanks. Please don't be offended, but is this true, because Creakey was claiming exactly the opposite. Where could I find any info on this -how did you know? Not doubting. just intrigued.

To move freely within Europe you need an EU passport. Asylum only grants you residency in a country. I know non-EU people who are resident in Germany but have to get further documentation/VISAs etc to travel further. The reality though, is that you can move relatively easily within the Schengen area if you know where you can cross without your ID being checked. But you risk being slung out if caught. Obviously UK is outside Schengen so no issue here.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
O shush you silly man. All I did was post some much needed statistics into this debate - I have not even commented on Britain's involvement. All you have done is reverted back to the usual "argument" that essentially as I do not live there, I cannot comment. Well at least I can read and look up stats instead of making them up as some on this thread seem to want to do. Have a sensible debate rather than reverting to this drivel.

For your information South Africa has millions of illegal immigrants and refugees, far more than Britain does, and the associated issues that go with that - just not many if any from Syria because of the logistics of getting here.

With respect, this is a very pompous remark -you should know that stats can be very misleading and it all depends on the wider context as to how valuable they are. We can all look up stats and quote when they suit our argument. The fact that you live away, and indeed far away, does not disqualify your views -all are important in a forum - but you have to accept that you will not be living with the consequences of whatever you advocate, and quoting stats is really all that you can add to the debate with any semblance of authority.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Good to see Cameron is saying the UK will fulfill its moral responsibilities. At last he is awakening from his slumber. Lets see if words are matched by deeds.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
To move freely within Europe you need an EU passport. Asylum only grants you residency in a country. I know non-EU people who are resident in Germany but have to get further documentation/VISAs etc to travel further. The reality though, is that you can move relatively easily within the Schengen area if you know where you can cross without your ID being checked. But you risk being slung out if caught. Obviously UK is outside Schengen so no issue here.

Many thanks. I would assume that border controls will be back again at some stage.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
A successful asylum seeker does not suddenly become a full citizen in the country they are granted asylum in. They can of course apply, but this takes years.

From what I've read in the past, until they get full citizenship, I believe that the UK already has an EU 'opt out' on their freedom of movement to come here.

Unfortunately, most of the info on this is in EU law documents, so you'll have to do the searches yourself as it takes time to go through all the documents, and I didn't note down where I read this. Sorry.

It is worth considering there is a lot of talk about refugee quotas. There would be no point in this if the asylum seekers could just up sticks and move from minute 1.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
Regardless of quotas, red tape, immigation protocol etc etc ...

What we have in Syria and some other countries is a humanitarian crisis. If I lived there I would do almost anything to get my wife, kids and loved ones out.

I'm quite wary of these social media petitions to Cameron to sort it out. We've had a homelessness crisis among our own people for years that we don't seem able to solve. We can't magic up the local infrastructure to deal with an immediate surge of refugees, at least not without all the financial and muncipal problems it would entail - we need to absorb those in need over the entire nation. But if there was a register of people willing to find space in their homes for families in desperate trouble, how many would actually sign?

I think, despite the inconvenience and expense, I'd have to sign a register like that. We're not talking about scroungers and opportunists. We're talking about frightened, displaced people with very few options.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Regardless of quotas, red tape, immigation protocol etc etc ...

What we have in Syria and some other countries is a humanitarian crisis. If I lived there I would do almost anything to get my wife, kids and loved ones out.

I'm quite wary of these social media petitions to Cameron to sort it out. We've had a homelessness crisis among our own people for years that we don't seem able to solve. We can't magic up the local infrastructure to deal with an immediate surge of refugees, at least not without all the financial and muncipal problems it would entail - we need to absorb those in need over the entire nation. But if there was a register of people willing to find space in their homes for families in desperate trouble, how many would actually sign?

I think, despite the inconvenience and expense, I'd have to sign a register like that. We're not talking about scroungers and opportunists. We're talking about frightened, displaced people with very few options.

But a register such as this does not exist, of course. But if you are this keen, and given that we have had mass immigration over many years, there must have been ample chance for you to do this. Surely a local mosque, or a charity which can't be too difficult to find on the net would have been able to help you find grateful occupants.
But how come all those who say that they will house this and that have never actually done so, when with real determination and given hundreds of thousands of immigrants, the opportunity must have been there in abundance.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here