UK net migration hits record high

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Yes if your talking about a small number of migrants, but in the current climate to not even consider the religious implications would be rather stupid.

Now what do you think might be an issue with potentially letting in over 9 million unknown Syrians, a country that has an active and prevalent Islamist army ??

Have a sit down and get back to me ...................................

In four years 4 million Syrians have fled their country. There are very good reasons why they are having to flee. the UK has 0.5 assylum applicants per 1000 population, Germany 2.1. It is not game changing to those who can see this issue through compassionate eyes. Do i see this as a trojan horse? No. And yes i am sitting down.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
I genuinely don't know here. I thought that the principle of free movement applied to EU nationals, so to speak. If you are a French citizen, you can then move to and work quite legally in the UK and vice versa. So are you saying that if France approves an asylum seeker from Syria, or wherever, and gives them right of residence, they also have this automatic right to go all over the EU? Does right of residence mean that particular country or anywhere they fancy?

This is quite an important point you raise and highlights one of the issues as to why various EU countries currently seem to be unable to come together to deal with the refugee problem,there simply is no cohesive standard amongst member states as what to do with people once they are granted refugee status, even with the raft of legislation and treaty signing that is claimed binds us all together.
Refugees(remember this is different status to seeking asylum) can obviously travel to other countries(in accordance with general rules that apply to entry in various countries) as they can have travel documents should they wish them under the Geneva Convention.
Getting refugee status in the EU will get you either a temporary residence permit issued by and valid for that particular country or a EU Long Term residence permit(not the same as permanent residence or citizenship).

France allows those with temp permits to enter the country and live and work indefinitely. Germany allows temp permit holders to stay for 3 months but cannot work,a visa is required to seek employment and live if more than 3 months.Italy runs along the same lines as Germany. Latvia requires no such visa and doesnt differ between temp and long term permits.Luxembourg allows only visitation rights for both permit holders and no right to reside or work,Estonia allows visits for 90 days in a 6 month period and visas in accordance with its own Alien Act.Think you can see the various discrepancies here.

As for the UK,refugee residence permits issued here allow refugees to reside and work in the UK only and are not valid in Europe.Likewise temp and long term refugee permits issued in Europe do not allow for entry into the UK to live or work.

To confuse matters further various EU nations have been chopping and changing up their own rules,or should i say their interpretation of Schengen rules over the past few weeks........its all a bit of a mess.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
5000. So just over the capacity of the Dripping Pan. No wonder people are concerned about the end of England as we know it.

Thats a good idea, lewes. If we are talking shouldering burdens, then lets take this to a logical conclusion. 25 per cent of lewes school places allocated to these kids. Same percentage of doctors appointments.

I am not anti accepting refugees, we jave a duty and if we are proud to be british then we should look seriously into how we can help, and the impact on our society, and planning for the future

But the amount of unthinking posturing mongs who think this is some sort of comic relief style feelgood event, make this discussion really difficult and entrench proples positions.

The impartial and emotive language coming out of the bbc and sections of the media right now is so loaded and partial its staggering.

Europe is like norman wisdom trapped in a revolving door on this crisis, germany has finally, after a century or so, succeeded in bringing down europe. Britains best chance is a pragmatic yet compassionate discussion, without being chained to these lunatics.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
:shrug:About as many as there are in Victoria Park.
None then , but at least i'm up front about it , i dont want any here , and even if they do come it will have a minimal effect on haywards heath,it will do on where i grew up though, you're keen for britain to take refugees knowing it will have ****all effect on where you are now or where you grew up, nimbyism at its best.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
But aren't the majority of Syrian refugees already in camps in Turkey, Lebanon and Jordan?

Of 6m estimated refugees, 2m are thought to be within Syria, 3 - 4m in Turkey, Lebanon, Jordan and neighbours, with a small percentage trying to get into the EU.

It is believed that by the end of the year Europe will have taken in 800,000 not specifically Syrians.

If the refugee camps are setup with the right infrastructure to feed, treat and shelter these people, it may actually be better for them to start there rather than being isolated in Europe.

I would have thought it would be easier to deal with them if their background has been processed first and also check if to see if they have relatives or friends in their preferential countries.

I haven't got a strong view on it, I have just picked this one. What I do know is that Europe had advanced warning of this and they have failed, along with the international community, to make any contingency plans to avoid this crisis, or at least lessen it.

D

Deleted member 22389

Thats a good idea, lewes. If we are talking shouldering burdens, then lets take this to a logical conclusion. 25 per cent of lewes school places allocated to these kids. Same percentage of doctors appointments.

I am not anti accepting refugees, we jave a duty and if we are proud to be british then we should look seriously into how we can help, and the impact on our society, and planning for the future

But the amount of unthinking posturing mongs who think this is some sort of comic relief style feelgood event, make this discussion really difficult and entrench proples positions.

The impartial and emotive language coming out of the bbc and sections of the media right now is so loaded and partial its staggering.

Europe is like norman wisdom trapped in a revolving door on this crisis, germany has finally, after a century or so, succeeded in bringing down europe. Britains best chance is a pragmatic yet compassionate discussion, without being chained to these lunatics.

Excellent post.

daveybgtt

May 12, 2010
North Sompting
Actually, let them flood in! Demand for houses in relatively un invaded areas will skyrocket, as will the price of proeprty, up up up and away (to a country not overrun with immigrants) for me HO HO IRONY! I WOULD BE THE IMMIGRANT ROFL!

daveybgtt

May 12, 2010
North Sompting
I imagine some of the posters on this thread look like this

3314820332_02_hipster_beard_answer_2_xlarge.jpeg

Geuss which ones!

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
None then , but at least i'm up front about it , i dont want any here , and even if they do come it will have a minimal effect on haywards heath,it will do on where i grew up though, you're keen for britain to take refugees knowing it will have ****all effect on where you are now or where you grew up, nimbyism at its best.

O shush you silly man. All I did was post some much needed statistics into this debate - I have not even commented on Britain's involvement. All you have done is reverted back to the usual "argument" that essentially as I do not live there, I cannot comment. Well at least I can read and look up stats instead of making them up as some on this thread seem to want to do. Have a sensible debate rather than reverting to this drivel.

For your information South Africa has millions of illegal immigrants and refugees, far more than Britain does, and the associated issues that go with that - just not many if any from Syria because of the logistics of getting here.

Jan 30, 2008
O shush you silly man. All I did was post some much needed statistics into this debate - I have not even commented on Britain's involvement. All you have done is reverted back to the usual "argument" that essentially as I do not live there, I cannot comment. Well at least I can read and look up stats instead of making them up as some on this thread seem to want to do. Have a sensible debate rather than reverting to this drivel.

For your information South Africa has millions of illegal immigrants and refugees, far more than Britain does, and the associated issues that go with that - just not many if any from Syria because of the logistics of getting here.
you're just as tedious as badfish the stench is unbearable :annoyed:
regards
DR

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports