Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

UK net migration hits record high

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
absolute bollox , i was on a london council estate yesterday , in roehampton , not a bad area but the estate is quite rough , it was rough even 20 years ago , it was ****ing rammed with headscarf and burka clad women,dont insult my intelligence by claiming they're british, in fact they may be technically, but they're recent arrivals all the same.

Is a really odd area that. I like the place , part of the old royal hunting grounds but with a rough estate in the middle of it. Anyway, not forwarding the debate really, just commenting.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
So basically after leading us up the "garden" path about how you were offering/saviour for the homeless, it is not (as you must have known a few pages ago when stating ) "viable". So far just all Mitty stories.
he's a fantasist .

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Is a really odd area that. I like the place , part of the old royal hunting grounds but with a rough estate in the middle of it. Anyway, not forwarding the debate really, just commenting.
you would never know the estate is there from the A3.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
You are confusing migrants and refugees. Migrants will want to stay, refugees will return to where they came from when it is safe to go back. Perhaps these refugees crossing the med do not feel safe in any muslim country at the moment?

They are not mutually exclusive at the moment and they seem to be all in the same boat.

Sunni's should feel safe in Turkey or Saudi, and Shia's should feel safe in Iran. If they don't then maybe they are following the wrong religion.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
You are confusing migrants and refugees. Migrants will want to stay, refugees will return to where they came from when it is safe to go back. Perhaps these refugees crossing the med do not feel safe in any muslim country at the moment?

I rather feel that the confusion is yours, or certainly the misplaced idealism. Everyone knows the difference between the two, rest assured. You do not seriously think that all those "refugees," are targeting Germany so that they can go back to Syria, do you? If that were the case, then they would have used the option of camps in Turkey for example, so as to be able to go back when it is safe.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
They are not mutually exclusive at the moment and they seem to be all in the same boat.

Sunni's should feel safe in Turkey or Saudi, and Shia's should feel safe in Iran. If they don't then maybe they are following the wrong religion.
Did you mean to say that !!

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
I rather feel that the confusion is yours, or certainly the misplaced idealism. Everyone knows the difference between the two, rest assured. You do not seriously think that all those "refugees," are targeting Germany so that they can go back to Syria, do you? If that were the case, then they would have used the option of camps in Turkey for example, so as to be able to go back when it is safe.

I am not confused. Just not prepared to lump them all together and assume that they are all economic migrants.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
If your aim is to travel all the way to the UK Germany Sweden etc from North Africa then most likely you are an economic migrant. If you want to escape your war torn home country but then return when it's safe then you are a refugee.
Unfortunately I think there are a lot of 'migrants' that fall into both catagories. They flee their country but are not happy to return and go from refugee to economic migrant, purely because the decision on where they are relocating to, is a choice based on what they will receive when they arrive in the land of their choice. I can't see some of these migrants being happy to be processed in Germany and then sent to Romania or Italy. The Eurozone needs to take a hard line that yes you can come, but you have to register in the country of arrival and be processed. Then if you don't pass for a refugee, you are not granted asylum in Europe. If you do you will be granted but have to go to where you are accepted. The Schengen Zone allows for them all to disappear and this is the main problem. Processing them correctly is near on impossible. I am pro European on most issues however I have never agreed with the Schengen zone. The problem needs to be dealt with at its core and a clear process needs to be implemented for all of these people claiming asylum. The trouble is it can't happen fast enough and there is no quick fix.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Saudi Arabia
Size: 2.15 million km²
Population: 28.8 million

Iran
Size: 1.648 million km²
Population: 77.4 million

Turkey
Size: 783,562 km²
Population: 75.8 million

England
Size: 130,395 km²
Population: 63.5 million

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
I am not confused. Just not prepared to lump them all together and assume that they are all economic migrants.

OK so you might not wish to lump them all together - fair enough. Doubtless there are both sets of migrants in theory. But the fact that we are seeing (perhaps you don't?) the scenes in Hungary and elsewhere in Europe, where thousands, in fact hundreds of thousands, are moving from one country to another to find the wealthiest, more than suggests that the migrants themselves are doing their utmost to blur the legal distinction. You can be a refugee, flee a warzone in terror and then realise that there are richer pickings than Greece or Italy.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Where do the Kurdish Muslims go? They're getting slaughtered by all.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Herr Tubthumper is away at the moment. He asked me to step in.

How very noble of him and do please give him our sincerest regards from all in Blighty. I was just rather intrigued as to which suburb in Berlin he resides, as I have been there many times during my time in the Fatherland. Would he mind you giving out this state secret, do you think.

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
OK so you might not wish to lump them all together - fair enough. Doubtless there are both sets of migrants in theory. But the fact that we are seeing (perhaps you don't?) the scenes in Hungary and elsewhere in Europe, where thousands, in fact hundreds of thousands, are moving from one country to another to find the wealthiest, more than suggests that the migrants themselves are doing their utmost to blur the legal distinction. You can be a refugee, flee a warzone in terror and then realise that there are richer
pickings than Greece or Italy.

Absolutely this , the disturbing images doing the rounds of the dead toddler on a Turkish Beach are the result of a family leaving Turkey for the EU with the hope of making it to Germany .

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
So are you and I................when it involves Konnie Huq and a nurse uniform.
i KNEW this post would involve a mention of konnie huq, but the GODDESS that is archie panjabi is jockeying for position in my affections regarding quality BHANGRAMUFF :lolol:

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
OK so you might not wish to lump them all together - fair enough. Doubtless there are both sets of migrants in theory. But the fact that we are seeing (perhaps you don't?) the scenes in Hungary and elsewhere in Europe, where thousands, in fact hundreds of thousands, are moving from one country to another to find the wealthiest, more than suggests that the migrants themselves are doing their utmost to blur the legal distinction. You can be a refugee, flee a warzone in terror and then realise that there are richer pickings than Greece or Italy.

Well, I saw an interview with a Syrian refugee in Sweden last week who stated that she did not want to stay and wants to go back to Syria when it is safe to do so, but the bad feeling that she was getting from some Swedes was because they just assumed that she was a migrant, not a refugee. So, I am assuming that she is not the only one. Germany has already said it expects to have 800,000 asylum applications this year, so I am not surprised that many are heading for Germany. If they claim asylum, it is up to Germany or whoever to treat them as such and ensure that they do return once safe to do so. To assume that they all leaving to make a new life in another country is, as far as I am concerned anyway, wrong and it would be helpful if this was referred to as a refugee crisis, not a migrant crisis.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here