Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] UK Electric Scooter Law... You decide.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Question is, do you - or did you - ride a bike, and if so did you ride it legally on the road? If you did, I can't see that a scooter would be any more dangerous to you or to other road users. I still ride a bike (occasionally) but I don't go as fast as these scooters dp these days!
It depends what roads you want to ride on - local roads are fine, IMHO, I could ride to the pub or sopermarket, but I wouldn't want to tackle the A27. Not many cyclists do these days either! - they stick to safer roads!

Completely disagree with the fact that scooter would not be any more dangerous to you or to other road users.
Purely down to physics of the size of the wheels. They have to weave and wobble consistently due to any small holes or ridges in the road surface that lager cycle wheels can skip over easily.

This i understand what caused the first highly publicised death due to being a successful youtuber rider in London.

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
Up to the scooter riders to assess the risks and act accordingly, same as for cyclists, mountaineers, climbers, divers, horse riders, rally and racing drivers, TT motorcyclists and a host of other extreme sports - all of which can kill you (as occasionally even cricket can).
If some scooter riders choose to ride at night, without lights, with a dark hoodie pulled right down over their head, stoned, with headphones blairing out rave music at painful levels and without paying attention to their surroundings ............... well, that's the process of natural selection in my book!
True. Right up to the point where my elderly neighbours get wiped out by the hoodie wearing risk taker when they step outside their front door. Most dangerous sports have some safety controls and usually only the participants are really exposed.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I'm going to guess that when you were 9 there were considerably fewer vehicles on the road!! In 1970 when I was 8 there were about 11m licenced vehicles on the roads, now there are nearly 33m.
True - but the roads were a lot narrower then - only two lanes, and lorries squeezed passed you, barely inches away from you and the bike!

Regarding another of your posts, I'm really pleased you consider yourself completely safe by staying in you 'pavement bubble'!!!
Yes, but all the way through this discussion I have advocated that scooters should not be allowed on pavements. Achieve that aim, and my 'bubble' - ie the pedestrian only pavement - would be perfecctly safe.

Last edited:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
That's exactly how I cycled with my son. For a while I thought he was getting into it, but having spent a small fortune on a nice MTB he lost interest . . . 5 miles to school, he did it twice and decided it was too much like hard work.

That's exactly what I did with my daughters too - and that was a waste of time too!

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
I have almost driven into a couple of them at night when pulling out as they have no lights and seemingly no realisation that if they hit a car they will finish second. I once followed one while driving at 30 mph and it was pulling away from me. Anything that powerful either needs limiting or proper regulation and training.

As for pavements, they need to be returned to being something anyone can walk on (with limited other things such as mobility scooters and kids on bikes) as opposed to being parked on by cars or having adult cyclists or scooters on them.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
Sad news indeed.

I am not a fan of them, they seem dangerous and many of the users pay no heed to those around them, they seem to be mostly used by hipsters and drug dealers.

There's no difference between an idiot on a scooter and an idiot on a bicycle, and they're certainly not dangerous.
I've had (and used) mine safely and sensibly for 2 years, now, and as far as I know, I'm neither a hipster or a drug dealer. :)
They're a great, safe, and fun way of getting around, as long as you give due consideration to others.
That's all it takes...consideration.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
But playing Devils Advocate, the pavement is the safest place for the scooterist, and nobody would even contemplate demanding manual scooters should be ridden on roads, yet they can travel at similar speeds.

safest for who ? ( or is it whom?).

There's no difference between an idiot on a scooter and an idiot on a bicycle, and they're certainly not dangerous.
I've had (and used) mine safely and sensibly for 2 years, now, and as far as I know, I'm neither a hipster or a drug dealer. :)
They're a great, safe, and fun way of getting around, as long as you give due consideration to others.
That's all it takes...consideration.

Well said sir. I thought I was a lone voice (apart from the legal aspect obviously).

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
Well said sir. I thought I was a lone voice (apart from the legal aspect obviously).

Yes, the legal aspect is a concern, but the police don't seem concerned as long as you are riding sensibly. As an aside, I don't use mine at night, despite the scooter having very bright built-in (front and rear) lights, and I have added indicators to the handlebar.
Mine has a top speed of 20mph, which I very rarely use and would be quite content to have them limited to 15 mph, in line with the current (legal) e-bikes.
Some of the speeds available on them are truly absurd - it's not a race and only a nutter would choose to do 30 mph+ on one.
I drive for a living and can honestly say that (in Brighton, at least), the vast majority use them in a safe and sensible manner - and I see many dozens out there, in the course of a day.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Yes, the legal aspect is a concern, but the police don't seem concerned as long as you are riding sensibly. As an aside, I don't use mine at night, despite the scooter having very bright built-in (front and rear) lights, and I have added indicators to the handlebar.
Mine has a top speed of 20mph, which I very rarely use and would be quite content to have them limited to 15 mph, in line with the current (legal) e-bikes.
Some of the speeds available on them are truly absurd - it's not a race and only a nutter would choose to do 30 mph+ on one.
I drive for a living and can honestly say that (in Brighton, at least), the vast majority use them in a safe and sensible manner - and I see many dozens out there, in the course of a day.

Out of interest, what make and model do you have?

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
Out of interest, what make and model do you have?

Inokim Light 2

They've almost halved in price over the past couple of years. Fantastic build quality and decent enough range for me.

Screenshot 2021-07-04 17.54.49.png

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
But not safe for pedestrians when being used by kids on e scooters,
as mentioned above someone was killed when hit by one and the rider charged with manslaughter.

I know. But the Gov't has to find a solution to use them legally and safely for all because they aren't going away.

Seat Stealer

Jun 23, 2012
Only over 16's having taken an official road test. Must wear a high-vis jacket that plugs into scooter via usb or similar to allow operation. This high vis jacket could also incorporate Break lights/indicators. Insurance a must. Registration Number on rear of hi vis jacket also. So, without high-vis jacket the bike does not operate. No use on pavements. Crash hats optional but advised.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
I know. But the Gov't has to find a solution to use them legally and safely for all because they aren't going away.

Yes probably in the same way they deal with recreational drugs, they will always be used and kill people but will never be legally, just socially acceptable.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here