Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] UK Electric Scooter Law... You decide.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I nearly wiped out another one the other day.. slowing for a junction and one sped from right to left across the Stop line from pavement to pavement.

pure_white

Dec 8, 2021
Dangerous and stupid imagine a scooter in idle lane and my land rover in outside lane and suv in nearside

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Dangerous and stupid imagine a scooter in idle lane and my land rover in outside lane and suv in nearside

[MENTION=21262]birthofanorange[/MENTION]

This attitude is an example what I was referring to when I said they’re not a good fit for the UK.

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
[MENTION=21262]birthofanorange[/MENTION]

This attitude is an example what I was referring to when I said they’re not a good fit for the UK.

My shrug was due to the fact that I didn't even understand the post, but I assume he's one of 'those' to which you refer. :lolol:

Still, can't hold back progress for the sake of a few with attitude problems - they just need educating.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
No. In the same way I don’t feel cyclists, skateboarders, children on non-electric scooters , mobility scooters, etc should need insurance either. Cars yes, 20 km/h scooter no.

If someone on a mobility scooter unfortunatly runs into you on the pavement which cause you a leg/ arm fracture do not feel you should be compensated for hospital visits, time of work ect.
You are clearly a very forgiving and generous man.

Who do you feel should burden the cost of damaged caused by these on the road?

Last edited:

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
My shrug was due to the fact that I didn't even understand the post, but I assume he's one of 'those' to which you refer. :lolol:

Still, can't hold back progress for the sake of a few with attitude problems - they just need educating.

Surely the fact that you didn't even understand, is it just you that needs educating?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
If someone on a mobility scooter unfortunatly runs into you on the pavement which cause you a leg/ arm fracture do not feel you should be compensated for hospital visits, time of work ect.
You are clearly a very forgiving and generous man.

Who do you feel should burden the cost of damaged caused by these on the road?

No, I really do not. And I do not want to live in a world where the first thing we think of is suing people. Accidents happen.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
So any cyclist or scooterist scratching a car whilst filtering should not be responsible for any damage?

I had a car for a short while whilst living in London. It was a new Beetle and it was just one big piece of curved paint work with no bumpers on it. It got scratched many times....usually when parked. My neighbour bashed into it once as well. I just got it touched up once a year when I got it serviced. It's just a car. If I was worried about scratches then I'd have got a cheaper/older one so I wouldnt be bothered. Dont we have far bigger things to worry about?

Maybe I'm not the right person to discuss this with as I really cannot get worked up about a few scratches on a car.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
No, I really do not. And I do not want to live in a world where the first thing we think of is suing people. Accidents happen.

But what causes accidents? There is usually someone at fault and shouldn't the victims of the person at fault have the right not to be out of pocket?

If it were more than scratches on your car, maybe broken wing mirror or dents in the panels etc would you be quite so forgiving.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
But what causes accidents? There is usually someone at fault and shouldn't the victims of the person at fault have the right not to be out of pocket?

If it were more than scratches on your car, maybe broken wing mirror or dents in the panels etc would you be quite so forgiving.

I cant get worked up about a broken wing mirror either. Anything serious then the insurance kicks in?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Well I'm pleased for you that you don't need to worry about the cost or repair or the cost of your increased premiums. There are a lot of people that aren't so lucky.

I think you're being rather unfair with this comment.

The main reason people take out insurance is to protect themselves financially in the event of a mishap. It defeats the object if you dont then use it when you have a mishap. If somone willfully damaged my property I'd have a different view but accidents are accidents and, in the main, I accept this as part of life.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I think you're being rather unfair with this comment.

The main reason people take out insurance is to protect themselves financially in the event of a mishap. It defeats the object if you dont then use it when you have a mishap. If somone willfully damaged my property I'd have a different view but accidents are accidents and, in the main, I accept this as part of life.

But accidents are, invariably, not just accidents. They are due to someone being careless or reckless. If someone is weaving through gaps that aren't really big enough then they are being careless.'

As for your depiction of insurance, I disagree. You take out insurance, in respect of cars, to protect you from your own carelessness, ie you crash your car, or for claims against you because of your carelessness. An insurer will seek to recover from any responsible party if they can.

I'm sure if, instead of a few scratches over the year, your offside wing mirror was 'accidentally' removed 4 or 5 times then you would get pissed off with having to replace it yourself.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
But accidents are, invariably, not just accidents. They are due to someone being careless or reckless. If someone is weaving through gaps that aren't really big enough then they are being careless.

I guess I have a different outlook. I have had scratches on my car, I have had food poured over me in a restaurant, I have had drinks poured over me in bars, I have had the cleaner break a glass cooker top. The people doing this are usually more horrified than me. Were they careless, no idea. Was I bothered, not really. I dont awlays need to find someone to blame.

Let's agree to disagree :smile:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Looking forward to seeing the detail on legislation in the Queen's Speech tomorrow.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here