[Travel] UK Electric Scooter Law... You decide.

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
I make a valid point. The relationship between road users in the UK is quite different to that in other parts of Europe.

Cycling in France and Belgium is an absolute pleasure and shows how backward we are in England. I can't think of how to describe it except that cycling to Newhaven can be nervy as cars take corners at 50mph+ with no thought there might be a slower road user out of sight, constantly overtake unnecessarily close etc. Then you get to Dieppe and as soon as you're away from the ferry traffic it's like you're suddenly sharing the road with other adults.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Cycling in France and Belgium is an absolute pleasure and shows how backward we are in England. I can't think of how to describe it except that cycling to Newhaven can be nervy as cars take corners at 50mph+ with no thought there might be a slower road user out of sight, constantly overtake unnecessarily close etc. Then you get to Dieppe and as soon as you're away from the ferry traffic it's like you're suddenly sharing the road with other adults.

Same in Germany, I cycle to my office every day and it’s a breeze. And a friend was cycle touring in Girona recently and he said it was enlightening as well.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Faversham is 20 mph throughout, now. However, more than half of drivers take no notice, doing 40 plus. Unfortunately we have no cameras and never a policeman to be seen. I have taken to pulling out in front of traffic that, were it keeping to the limit, wouldn't need to slow down. A bit passive-agressive, I know. Yesterday some oaf had time to wind down his window to shout and wave his fist at me as he roared past behind me at a T junction.

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
I make a valid point. The relationship between road users in the UK is quite different to that in other parts of Europe.

If that's the case, you are pretty much penalising the potential scooters users, due to the behaviour of car users, which (to me) seems absurd.
It's akin (although obviously not as serious) to stopping women from wearing provocative clothing because some men are unable to control themselves.
Point being, if cyclists/e-bikers are expected to cope with this perceived threat to their existence, why deny e-scooter riders the same?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
If that's the case, you are pretty much penalising the potential scooters users, due to the behaviour of car users, which (to me) seems absurd.
It's akin (although obviously not as serious) to stopping women from wearing provocative clothing because some men are unable to control themselves.
Point being, if cyclists/e-bikers are expected to cope with this perceived threat to their existence, why deny e-scooter riders the same?

I agree with you. They're a brilliant idea and work excellently here and I use them often.

My point is more that it will lead to even more 'jumping red lights', 'they dont pay road tax' 'they should wear helmets', 'they should use the cycle-paths', 'they need to be insured' etc etc etc nonsense on the roads from the sort of people who have a small suburban semi with 5 cars parked on the drive. In this sense, I do not think it's the right thing for the UK.

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
I agree with you. They're a brilliant idea and work excellently here and I use them often.

My point is more that it will lead to even more 'jumping red lights', 'they dont pay road tax' 'they should wear helmets', 'they should use the cycle-paths', 'they need to be insured' etc etc etc nonsense on the roads from the sort of people who have a small suburban semi with 5 cars parked on the drive. In this sense, I do not think it's the right thing for the UK.

I do take your point, to be fair, but that's for the e-scooter riders (myself included) to take on the chin, as cyclists have done (here) for a long time. As has been said, they're not going away, so we'll all have to muddle along as usual and hope the 'people' you mention become a little more tolerant of them.
And pigs might fly. :)

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
We all did our cycling proficiency when we were about 9-10 . . . only then were we allowed to cycle to school. . most cars were horse powered then so things were a little slower/quieter.

My primary school didn't allow us to cycle to school - got to secondary school and there must have been a couple of hundred bike racks in the bike sheds - and they were pretty much all used!
I had lights on my bike for night riding by the time I was 10 though - those horrible dynamo things; you could feel the drag as soon as you put it into the on position!

Last edited:

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
I had lights on my bike for night riding by the time I was 10 though - those horrible dynamo things; you could feel the drag as soon as you put it into the on position!

God, those dynamos were awful, weren't they? Modern lights are incredibly brighter, more efficient and simple to attach and remove, which is why I find it crazy that so many choose to not bother with them.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
God, those dynamos were awful, weren't they? Modern lights are incredibly brighter, more efficient and simple to attach and remove, which is why I find it crazy that so many choose to not bother with them.

totally agree . . .I nearly hit a kid recently . . . nearly chased after him to offer him a set of lights, you can buy little LED ones for less than a tenner.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

Who needs the protection of lights when you've got headphones on, a nice black hoodie pulled over half your field of vision and a smart phone in one hand? Absolutely untouchable!

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
totally agree . . .I nearly hit a kid recently . . . nearly chased after him to offer him a set of lights, you can buy little LED ones for less than a tenner.

Yep, and so easy to slip into a pocket, being the size they are, nowadays. The older ones needed such huge batteries, I tended to take my chances and leave them attached to the bike. It didn't always pan out very well, though. :lolol:

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
most of the new ones are on elastic bands!

not difficult to bolt them on . . .I've just bought a pair of ever ready 70's ones, going to try and upgrade them to LED and fit to the cow horns on my new cruising project bike!

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
I bought a great set of led front and back lights which are usb rechargeable.
Easy on and off the bike via elastic straps, cost about 25 pound, everyone on the road in the dark should have lights on.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton

You don't think they should be insured for any damage they may cause?
What would the're limit of responcibility be then?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
You don't think they should be insured for any damage they may cause?
What would the're limit of responcibility be then?

No. In the same way I don’t feel cyclists, skateboarders, children on non-electric scooters , mobility scooters, etc should need insurance either. Cars yes, 20 km/h scooter no.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports