Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] UK Electric Scooter Law... You decide.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
That's why they are having trials however i suspect a lot of the current crop of e-scooter riders won't be arsed with having a licence or insurance.

Think your right re current crop, the penalties needs to be adequate to make the risks too high, Insurance and traceability is the key elements.So many just ride away knowing there is no accountability for their actions.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
I know. But the Gov't has to find a solution to use them legally and safely for all because they aren't going away.

That's why they are having trials however i suspect a lot of the current crop of e-scooter riders won't be arsed with having a licence or insurance.

All true. But I wonder how many law abiding souls like me are just waiting quietly for the moment they become legal to buy their first e-scooter and do it all properly.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Looks like an announcement on legalising Electric Scooter use on public roads in the UK is set to be made by the Government in the Queen's Speech on 10th May.

Thoughts?

My initial thoughts. About time too!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Looks like an announcement on legalising Electric Scooter use on public roads in the UK is set to be made by the Government in the Queen's Speech on 10th May.

Thoughts?

It’s been legal here for a few years now and they’re a brilliant addition to public transport; I often use them for short hops instead of the tram.

That said, I’m not sure they’re the right thing for Brits.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton

Thoughts?

10th May. Great birthday present for my wife - oh, hang on, she hates them :moo:

Brighthelmstone

Nov 9, 2011
Burgess Hill
They need to rethink the laws if they allow them. Need to treat everyone with parity, such as Helmets becoming mandatory, insurance, basic highway training. If Vehicle drivers have to have various tests, insurance etc then why not all other road users? Not saying it should be to the same standard as vehicles, but something needs to be done to make people more accountable.

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
They need to rethink the laws if they allow them. Need to treat everyone with parity, such as Helmets becoming mandatory, insurance, basic highway training. If Vehicle drivers have to have various tests, insurance etc then why not all other road users? Not saying it should be to the same standard as vehicles, but something needs to be done to make people more accountable.

If, as is likely, they are limited to 15mph, I see no reason to have any further legislation than cyclists already have - be they normal or e-bikes. I would be happy to have some kind of insurance, but other than that I don't see the need.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
There's no difference between an idiot on a scooter and an idiot on a bicycle, and they're certainly not dangerous.
I've had (and used) mine safely and sensibly for 2 years, now, and as far as I know, I'm neither a hipster or a drug dealer. :)
They're a great, safe, and fun way of getting around, as long as you give due consideration to others.
That's all it takes...consideration.

Unfortunately there is no way of making 'consideration' universal, compulsory or enforceable.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
If, as is likely, they are limited to 15mph, I see no reason to have any further legislation than cyclists already have - be they normal or e-bikes. I would be happy to have some kind of insurance, but other than that I don't see the need.

Agree (I think) - limit the speed to 15 mph (ones adapted to go faster confiscated on sight). Other than that, same rulles as for cyclists - but for gawd's sake bloody enforce them!
Every police constable could self fund by starting their shift by nabbing the first three three w*nkers they see riding on the pavement and extracting the fixed penalty.

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
Agree (I think) - limit the speed to 15 mph (ones adapted to go faster confiscated on sight). Other than that, same rulles as for cyclists - but for gawd's sake bloody enforce them!
Every police constable could self fund by starting their shift by nabbing the first three three w*nkers they see riding on the pavement and extracting the fixed penalty.

Yep, fine with that, completely, and while we're at it, enforce the use of lights at night - for ALL road users. I was always under the impression that it was illegal to cycle without lights, yet it's commonplace over the last few decades.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Which equally applies to cyclists/e-bike riders, yet they somehow manage. :)

Except that sometimes they kill or injure someone walking on thhe pavement, and sometimes they themselves get killed (not always because of their lack of consideration; many car drivers with a sense of entitlement and an aggreesive disposition should also be force-fed 'consideration'!)

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
Except that sometimes they kill or injure someone walking on thhe pavement, and sometimes they themselves get killed (not always because of their lack of consideration; many car drivers with a sense of entitlement and an aggreesive disposition should also be force-fed 'consideration'!)

Absolutely, and shared-space (and consideration) should be the end goal, especially if the use of scooters helps limit the number of unnecessary short car journeys around town.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Been using them here for nearly the past year.
Treat the roads as I do when cycling or driving.

Always wear a helmet, stop at the lights, ride safely, be considerate.

That said, there's plenty of idiots who do none of the above and ruin it for the rest of us.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
It will give many car drivers another target for their impatience and road entitlement.

Well, as there is no such thing as an open season for other road users, be they cyclists, scooter riders or mororcyclists, hopefully these shites in their invulnerable cars will eventually accumulate enough points to be taken off the road, preferably for good.
Maybe they can then turn their entitled talents to walking, cycling, or riding a scooter.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here