[TV] UK Comedy Cup - Nominations Thread

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I guess Crodo didn't get chance to add his nominations, which probably would have been:
Mrs Brown's Boys
Life of Riley
Keeping Up Appearances
One Foot In The Grave
Last of the Summer Wine

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
I guess Crodo didn't get chance to add his nominations, which probably would have been:
Mrs Brown's Boys
Life of Riley
Keeping Up Appearances
One Foot In The Grave
Last of the Summer Wine
Au contraire Blackadder: (And you only guessed one out of five).
Mrs Browns Boys
My Family
Birds of a Feather
When the Whistle Blows
Benidorm
Liked the detail of nominating Andy's crap sitcom from 'Extras'. Although from what I've seen of it, it would actually have been a more worthy entrant than 'After Life' or 'Derek'.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Au contraire Blackadder: (And you only guessed one out of five).

Liked the detail of nominating Andy's crap sitcom from 'Extras'. Although from what I've seen of it, it would actually have been a more worthy entrant than 'After Life' or 'Derek'.
Ha, I'm disappointed I only guessed one. Mrs Brown's Boys was a free hit.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
UK Comedy Cup, sorry. Might do a separate US one after this one wraps up.

Please replace Curb and Seinfeld with 2 other nominations. I'm Alan Partridge has also already qualified so you may nominate 3 more UK comedies, if you wish.
My bad. Ok so:

Rising Damp
Porridge
The Fall and Rise of Reginald Perrin

Muhammed - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
Only fools and horses
Father Ted
Inbetweeners
Blackadder
Men behaving badly

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I’m Alan Partridge
Mid Morning Matters
The Fast Show
This Country
Human Remains

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
STOP NOMINATING! The 32 have qualified.

They are as follows;

Spaced
Peep Show
The League of Gentlemen
Peter Kay's Phoenix Nights
The Royle Family
Early Doors
The Office
Fawlty Towers
Father Ted
The Young Ones
Drop The Dead Donkey
The Detectorists
This Country
The Fast Show
Breeders
Inside Number 9
Psychoville
The Inbetweeners
The Day Today
Nathan Barley
The IT Crowd
Stewart Lee's Comedy Vehicle
Not The 9 O'Clock News
Fleabag
Some Mothers Do 'Ave 'Em
Only Fools & Horses
Blackadder
I'm Alan Partridge
The Mighty Boosh
The Thick Of It
Red Dwarf
Porridge​

Being honest, I think this year's crop is slightly weaker than 2014's. Personally a little disappointed to see Extras miss out, and genuinely shocked not to see a single nomination for People Just Do Nothing, a great modern comedy.

Some of a certain vintage may be disappointed at a lack of Dad's Army or Monty Python, but it shows what complacency can do in the cut throat world of major tournament qualification.

I'll allow the Albion Fantasy World Cup to run it's course, then the groups will be drawn for this.
Everybody!

chickens

Intending to survive this time of asset strippers
NSC Patron
Oct 12, 2022
I accept nominations are closed, but I’m kicking myself for forgetting about A Bit of Fry and Laurie. The quantity surveyor and reporting stolen car sketches are just two highlights in an excellent few series.

Soupy twist.

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
The shortlisting and nomination process was flawed. Imagine for the football World Cup, FIFA just announced one morning, "Right, the first 32 nominations get in". Nothing to do with quality, just need two random enthusiasts for qualification. First come, first served. You should have had a long list to start with, then invited people to vote for their top 10, then taken the top 32 from the results. If I sound bitter, I am a bit. It’s all totally subjective of course. I always found Inside No. 9 to be quite unpleasantly dark, and a long way from being a comedy. OTOH, no Monty Python, probably the most groundbreaking, influential comedy of the last 50 years.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Early odds;

Spaced 40/1
Peep Show 12/1
The League of Gentlemen 16/1
Peter Kay's Phoenix Nights 20/1
The Royle Family 10/1
Early Doors 100/1
The Office 7/1
Fawlty Towers 3/1
Father Ted 5/1
The Young Ones 20/1
Drop The Dead Donkey 16/1
The Detectorists 25/1
This Country 40/1
The Fast Show 12/1
Breeders 25/1
Inside Number 9 33/1
Psychoville 66/1
The Inbetweeners 25/1
The Day Today 100/1
Nathan Barley 100/1
The IT Crowd 16/1
Stewart Lee's Comedy Vehicle 25/1
Not The 9 O'Clock News 14/1
Fleabag 33/1
Some Mothers Do 'Ave 'Em 40/1
Only Fools & Horses 5/1
Blackadder 8/1
I'm Alan Partridge 20/1
The Mighty Boosh 33/1
The Thick Of It 33/1
Red Dwarf 25/1
Porridge 10/1

chickens

Intending to survive this time of asset strippers
NSC Patron
Oct 12, 2022
The shortlisting and nomination process was flawed. Imagine for the football World Cup, FIFA just announced one morning, "Right, the first 32 nominations get in". Nothing to do with quality, just need two random enthusiasts for qualification. First come, first served. You should have had a long list to start with, then invited people to vote for their top 10, then taken the top 32 from the results. If I sound bitter, I am a bit. It’s all totally subjective of course. I always found Inside No. 9 to be quite unpleasantly dark, and a long way from being a comedy. OTOH, no Monty Python, probably the most groundbreaking, influential comedy of the last 50 years.

But (and I speak personally here) as much as I love Monty Python, I think there’s absolutely an argument for saying those that pop into our heads first are the ones to choose.

Monty Python being a top British comedy I can accept in 1973 and 1983, gets a bit depressing by 1993, and if we haven’t come up with anything better by 2023 then frankly should we not acknowledge that our country’s in a bit of a rut?

I’m in no way denying their brilliance, but I’d argue their work has been built upon by Reeves/Mortimer and the Mighty Boosh. Watching Monty Python now there’s moments of incredible genius mixed with sketches that haven’t aged particularly well. All comedy is of its time, and I say this as someone who nominated “Not Only but Also…”

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Didn't even see a nomination for Mum, best new (ish) comedy I have seen for ages.

The day is coming where I blurt our 'what about genocide?' in some inappropriate social situation where someone says 'nothing worse than . . .'

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
But (and I speak personally here) as much as I love Monty Python, I think there’s absolutely an argument for saying those that pop into our heads first are the ones to choose.

Monty Python being a top British comedy I can accept in 1973 and 1983, gets a bit depressing by 1993, and if we haven’t come up with anything better by 2023 then frankly should we not acknowledge that our country’s in a bit of a rut?

I’m in no way denying their brilliance, but I’d argue their work has been built upon by Reeves/Mortimer and the Mighty Boosh. Watching Monty Python now there’s moments of incredible genius mixed with sketches that haven’t aged particularly well. All comedy is of its time, and I say this as someone who nominated “Not Only but Also…”
If we're talking really old really influential comedies, The Goon Show should be in there. I don't think TV comedy was ever specified.
Given the demographic of NSC I'm a little surprised it isn't.
I think a good number of episodes are available on BBC Sounds nowadays, incidentally.

AK74

Bright-eyed. Bushy-tailed. GSOH.
NSC Patron
Jan 19, 2010
There could be an alternate tournament for truly abysmal comedy shows, including - but not limited to - any of the following:

Terry and June
There's No Place Like Home
Don't Wait Up
Never the Twain
Love Thy Neighbour
On the Buses
Up the Elephant & Round the Castle
Bottle Boys
On the Up
Girls on Top
The Vicar of Dibley

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports