Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] UK Comedy Cup - Nominations Thread

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
Part of the reason I wanted to rerun this. Already a lot different. Interesting to see which shows endure, and which fade from memory.
yes feel like a lot of "millenial comedy" is becoming forgotten. Stuff like Darkplace, Nathan Barley, Look around you etc is rarely talked about but was ALL THE RAGE in the early-mid 00's

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
yes feel like a lot of "millenial comedy" is becoming forgotten. Stuff like Darkplace, Nathan Barley, Look around you etc is rarely talked about but was ALL THE RAGE in the early-mid 00's
TBF Barley and Boosh have QUALIFIED.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Red Dwarf
Not the Nine O'Clock News
Blackadder
After Life
Big Train

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
STOP NOMINATING! The 32 have qualified.

They are as follows;

Spaced
Peep Show
The League of Gentlemen
Peter Kay's Phoenix Nights
The Royle Family
Early Doors
The Office
Fawlty Towers
Father Ted
The Young Ones
Drop The Dead Donkey
The Detectorists
This Country
The Fast Show
Breeders
Inside Number 9
Psychoville
The Inbetweeners
The Day Today
Nathan Barley
The IT Crowd
Stewart Lee's Comedy Vehicle
Not The 9 O'Clock News
Fleabag
Some Mothers Do 'Ave 'Em
Only Fools & Horses
Blackadder
I'm Alan Partridge
The Mighty Boosh
The Thick Of It
Red Dwarf
Porridge​

Being honest, I think this year's crop is slightly weaker than 2014's. Personally a little disappointed to see Extras miss out, and genuinely shocked not to see a single nomination for People Just Do Nothing, a great modern comedy.

Some of a certain vintage may be disappointed at a lack of Dad's Army or Monty Python, but it shows what complacency can do in the cut throat world of major tournament qualification.

I'll allow the Albion Fantasy World Cup to run it's course, then the groups will be drawn for this.

Last edited:

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
Surely there should be some kind of pre-competition qualifiers for the ones nominated but who didn't make it in? Extras not being in this is clearly a joke, Patrick Stewart's episode alone is funnier than a lot of that list.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
STOP NOMINATING! The 32 have qualified.

They are as follows;

Spaced
Peep Show
The League of Gentlemen
Peter Kay's Phoenix Nights
The Royle Family
Early Doors
The Office
Fawlty Towers
Father Ted
The Young Ones
Drop The Dead Donkey
The Detectorists
This Country
The Fast Show
Breeders
Inside Number 9
Psychoville
The Inbetweeners
The Day Today
Nathan Barley
The IT Crowd
Stewart Lee's Comedy Vehicle
Not The 9 O'Clock News
Fleabag
Some Mothers Do 'Ave 'Em
Only Fools & Horses
Blackadder
I'm Alan Partridge
The Mighty Boosh
The Thick Of It
Red Dwarf
Porridge​

Being honest, I think this year's crop is slightly weaker than 2014's. Personally a little disappointed to see Extras miss out, and genuinely shocked not to see a single nomination for People Just Do Nothing, a great modern comedy.

I'll allow the Albion Fantasy World Cup to run it's course, then the groups will be drawn for this

That's a pretty good set to be honest

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Surely there should be some kind of pre-competition qualifiers for the ones nominated but who didn't make it in? Extras not being in this is clearly a joke, Patrick Stewart's episode alone is funnier than a lot of that list.
Expand the competition to 48 entries. Maybe some of the early rounds can be played in the US.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Inside No 9 is a weird entry. Excellent show, some funny moments, but loads of episodes are not even intended to be funny.

Oh how we laughed at 'The 12 Days of Christine"...

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I refuse to bow to any FIFA-esque calls for an expanded 48 show tournament.

I will consider the nomination process for future tournaments. I did consider suggesting qualification would require 3 nominations per comedy, rather than 2, but the worry is either that could take a long time to get 32, or could become to close to just becoming a big ol' vote for the best comedy, which rather defeats the point.

I can tell you that Extras qualified in 2014 but when out in the group stages. I happen to agree with you regarding it's quality, but this is always the danger with qualifiers.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Inside No 9 is a weird entry. Excellent show, some funny moments, but loads of episodes are not even intended to be funny.

Oh how we laughed at 'The 12 Days of Christine"...
Indeed - I suspect this will count against it and it will struggle.

Shearsmith & Pemberton are seasoned comedy actors and most episodes will have some elements of comedy, so I'm ok with it qualifying.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Indeed - I suspect this will count against it and it will struggle.

Shearsmith & Pemberton are seasoned comedy actors and most episodes will have some elements of comedy, so I'm ok with it qualifying.
Should replace it with something else that one of them's going to be in soon.... ;)

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Fast Show
Yes Minister
Peep Show
Ghosts
Catastrophe

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here