[Drinking] UHT Milk v Fresh Milk Dispute. Adjudication needed!

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Landgull

Oct 30, 2009
Two people I know are opening a cafe but are having a disagreement about whether they should use UHT milk or fresh milk for teas and coffees.
One of them is insistent on using fresh milk as a lot of people find the taste of UHT milk unpleasant in their Tea. The other thinks UHT milk is fine as he drinks it all the time so sees no problem with serving it to the public.
Would the discerning members of NSC frequent a cafe which served tea and coffee with UHT?

Why would anyone spoil a good cup of tea or coffee by adding milk?
However to answer your question, just have all types of additive (Pat. Milk,UHT,dried,lemon etc. available for the customer to choose.
Perhaps a selection of teas and coffees as well?

Good luck with your cafe.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Fresh. I can't believe we're even having this discussion.

gen

Banned
Aug 23, 2015
Why would anyone spoil a good cup of tea or coffee by adding milk?
However to answer your question, just have all types of additive (Pat. Milk,UHT,dried,lemon etc. available for the customer to choose.
Perhaps a selection of teas and coffees as well?

Good luck with your cafe.

It's probably why tea is not so popular in other parts of Europe where UHT is more prevalent because tea with UHT is utterly disgusting, whereas coffee with UHT is just mildly unpleasant.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Two people I know are opening a cafe but are having a disagreement about whether they should use UHT milk or fresh milk for teas and coffees.
One of them is insistent on using fresh milk as a lot of people find the taste of UHT milk unpleasant in their Tea. The other thinks UHT milk is fine as he drinks it all the time so sees no problem with serving it to the public.
Would the discerning members of NSC frequent a cafe which served tea and coffee with UHT?
Could you let the good people of NSC know where this cafe will be so we know to avoid it.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Would it not depend on where in the country they are opening it as apparently up north most people use UHT milk. I personally wouldnt use it unless it used semi skimmed as full fat is too creamy for tea. To refer to glasfryn point I prefer tin tomatoes to fresh on a breakfast or on toast.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Would it not depend on where in the country they are opening it as apparently up north most people use UHT milk. I personally wouldnt use it unless it used semi skimmed as full fat is too creamy for tea. To refer to glasfryn point I prefer tin tomatoes to fresh on a breakfast or on toast.

Tinned tomatoes ?? Eeewwwwwwww

ringmerseagulltoo

Feb 16, 2012
This can't be a serious discussion for anyone who takes any pride in what they serve, of course it should be fresh milk.

The question for anyone offering to serve the best quality tea is whether they can invest in the modest cost of a fresh water filter. It does depend on the area and the tap water quality, but I frequently find the taste of tea, clearly made with unfiltered water, thoroughly unpleasant.

If a cafe owner genuinely thinks UHT is an enjoyable product, I wouldn't trust him to serve anything well beyond a Slush Puppy

When I lived in Birmingham, it was sterilized milk in tea. If you think UHT is nasty, you should try sterilized. Truly disgusting.

gen

Banned
Aug 23, 2015
Could you let the good people of NSC know where this cafe will be so we know to avoid it.

....and I was about to blag you a years worth of complimentary tea and coffee vouchers as a reward for your earlier ringing endorsement! Now I'll just have to pass them on to someone who will actually appreciate them, like WATFORD zero.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
UHT is disgusting.
Personally, I can't take fresh full fat milk in tea or coffee, either.
Fresh skimmed is what we have at home, although I can cope with semi.

gen

Banned
Aug 23, 2015
UHT is disgusting.
Personally, I can't take fresh full fat milk in tea or coffee, either.
Fresh skimmed is what we have at home, although I can cope with semi.

Are you actually confessing that drinking skimmed milk gives you a semi, but you don't allow it to impede you in any way?

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
Milk is milk and anyone buying a drink should therefore expect it to be 'milk' that is 100% cows milk and not adulterated.

Of course, restaurants cafes etc should be able to provide for other s on request !

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
I don't mind UHT milk, can't stand skimmed milk in tea though.
Sometimes had powdered milk as a child :sick:

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Fresh
Milk is dirt cheap anyway

Having just paid CA$5.99 (about £3) for a 2 litre carton of milk here in Toronto, I can see just how dirt cheap milk is in the UK.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports