Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Uh Oh - Sami blames the players for wild west defending

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Bruno? You must be mad. He doesn't ever bother to track back let alone try to. He's a liability at right back should be midfield with Calderon r/b

I would have thought yesterday was the perfect example that proved Bruno is way ahead of Caldy.

Your comment last time about Bruno not being in position v Charlton? On Brentford's second Caldy was still in their half!

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I'll take your word for it on today though the commentary on the radio contradicted this. Always take the word of a fan who was there though. Crofts most certainly didn't v Charlton, one of the reasons he came off, and it's not as if Calde has the pace of Usain Boilt is it?

No, but he has more pace than Crofts. Have a look at their 2nd and 3rd Crofts had tucked in..

For me the other issue is pick your best team which doesn't include Caldy at RB.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
The blame stops with Hyypia and not the players. It's near enough the same defence as under Garcia and Poyet. One clean sheet in 6 games and against the weaker sides of this league.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
The blame stops with Hyypia and not the players. It's near enough the same defence as under Garcia and Poyet. One clean sheet in 6 games and against the weaker sides of this league.

Charlton aren't a weak side this year - 1 point off the top - and I thought we defended very well against them.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Charlton aren't a weak side this year - 1 point off the top - and I thought we defended very well against them.

Really? Greer got twisted inside out for the second goal and i thought Stockdale could have done better for both goals. Two sloppy goals to give away but credit to the Charlton striker.

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
as reported on Sky Sports this evening.

Surely they were deploying your tactics Sami? You were close enough to the pitch to tell them not to play full backs 70 yards up the pitch if you thought that was wreckless, for example.

Not very classy Sami, the tactics were yours, you don't blame the players this early in your stint.

Try a bit of "praise in public, punish in private" at least maybe.

I could easily grow to dislike this guy if this sort of arrogance continues...............

I'm sure he'll be gutted.
How did your interviews go for the manager's job? You're clearly an expert.
'Arrogant', do you know him personally? I'd say Finnish, I've worked with a few they're nearly all like that.
The bloke is half a dozen games in for flips sake.

Stumpy Tim

There's no defending our tactics - the way Sami sets the team up is nothing short or inept. The full-backs play as wingers, two central midfielders play as full-backs & we're constantly exposed. It's an embarrassment. I'm firmly off the Sam Tram until he stops experimenting with his farcical formation

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
I wasn't at the match so cannot comment on overall tactics or even Bruno v Calde in this particular match. However, I watched the goals several times and Wild West defending by individuals seemed pretty accurate to me, and not by Stockdale. Goal one, Bennett at fault as failed to get his tackle or block in. Goal two, Dunk was wrong side of his man who had an easy finish. Goal three, two defenders outjumped in their own penalty box. At the moment my main worry defensively is Bennett. Culpable for goals against Charlton and now Brentford, I am worried that he just may not be good enough at Championship level either, let alone us rehabilitating him for his parent club for the Premier League.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I wasn't at the match so cannot comment on overall tactics or even Bruno v Calde in this particular match. However, I watched the goals several times and Wild West defending by individuals seemed pretty accurate to me, and not by Stockdale. Goal one, Bennett at fault as failed to get his tackle or block in. Goal two, Dunk was wrong side of his man who had an easy finish. Goal three, two defenders outjumped in their own penalty box. At the moment my main worry defensively is Bennett. Culpable for goals against Charlton and now Brentford, I am worried that he just may not be good enough at Championship level either, let alone us rehabilitating him for his parent club for the Premier League.

Which I think is correct in the main, as was highlighted on Charlton's second and again yesterday, Bennett is lacking defensively.

The only thing I would suggest is that Stockdale could have been out a little sharper on the first.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
No, but he has more pace than Crofts. Have a look at their 2nd and 3rd Crofts had tucked in..

For me the other issue is pick your best team which doesn't include Caldy at RB.

Yeah I've seen them now, fair enough. The odd thing is I think Calde suited OG's slow, ball playing side better than Bruno but I think Bruno suits Sami's style a lot more.

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
There's no defending our tactics - the way Sami sets the team up is nothing short or inept. The full-backs play as wingers, two central midfielders play as full-backs & we're constantly exposed. It's an embarrassment. I'm firmly off the Sam Tram until he stops experimenting with his farcical formation

Tim can you get off that fence and tell us what you really think :)

doogie004

Oct 12, 2008
wisborough green
Agree with most of wots been said I would add that lua lua just doesn't no wot to do when he came on his natural
Game is to attack there full backs and get in behind them needs to change

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
as reported on Sky Sports this evening.

Not very classy Sami, the tactics were yours, you don't blame the players this early in your stint.

Try a bit of "praise in public, punish in private" at least maybe.

I could easily grow to dislike this guy if this sort of arrogance continues...............

This is what he actually said

Today I think in the first half we were a little bit open with the defending.
“We need to learn how to maybe be more patient and defend a little bit more compact and then, when we get the ball, we can play football.
“That’s one thing we need to talk about and work a little bit on the training pitch.
“Another things is in the forward movement sometimes we lose the ball a little bit too easily.
“Then the opposition has situations for counter attack.”

seagullwedgee

Aug 9, 2005
He did say those things, but he also said a lot more in the Sky Interview. The words "wild west defending" are in quotation marks, and a lot more, so I suggest reading the full piece.

To ask players to play that system, and that criticise them in public for failing to do it (one clean sheet in six) is not good man management at all. Would you like it if your boss posted something on the internet for the world to see to say he thinks you were sh1t at your job, for example?

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
He did say those things, but he also said a lot more in the Sky Interview. The words "wild west defending" are in quotation marks, and a lot more, so I suggest reading the full piece.

To ask players to play that system, and that criticise them in public for failing to do it (one clean sheet in six) is not good man management at all. Would you like it if your boss posted something on the internet for the world to see to say he thinks you were sh1t at your job, for example?

Doubt very many peoples job on here are in the public view so not sure your example is a valid one...personally i didn't think he came across as arrogant at all...so far his interviews post match have been interesting and informative compared to recent times and i'd include Mr Poyet

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither

I am on and happy to wait to see if it works or is adapted - or I can understand it. It is entertaining, but points need to be delivered.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
How can he blame the players when from very early on in the game it was clear what was going on and did nothing to change the style we were playing. There were a number of occasions when either Bennett or Calde were our furtherest men forward.

TottonSeagull

Mar 5, 2011
Totton (Nr Southampton)

Yep it's pretty much the same defence, well except Koosh. Oh and Ward and wait minute ....... Upson has gone too. So it's pretty much the same defence except 3 of the 5 have left!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here