by the fact that they knocked down these for it

wwwcitylibrariesinfo_01899.jpg

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
What makes it worse is that it replaced this
41894.jpg

I know it burnt down, but surely they could have come up with something better
Thanks for posting that - I know it burnt down some time around the 60s but I'd never seen the original. Actually, now I'm half wishing I still hadn't - I don't live far away and it's upsetting :)

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate
I think Anston House is only ugly because it has fallen into a terrible state of disrepair. If it were well maintained it would be merely nondescript.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I've always hated St Bartholomews church, hideous big ugly thing that it is.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
oh except the sussex university complex which i hear is quite popular amongst fans of 60s architecture

gardnerarts3.jpg

Indeed, Sir Basil Spence's Sussex University masterplan is genius in many respects, and still a pilgrimage for many architecture students / architects.

http://www.basilspence.org.uk/learning/buildings/sussex-university

1015_17_30---The-Brighton-Centre--Brighton--Sussex_web.jpg

Personally, I think the Brighton Centre is actually a decent building in the wrong location, and unfortunately associated with the monstrosity next door pictured below.

In the same style as the Brighton Centre, I like Hove Town Hall. I like the internal spaces, the dramatic committee room, as well as the exterior. Given many buildings of this period have not stood the test of time very well or have been demolished, Hove Town Hall has aged well in my opinion, where the concrete has not weathered badly, or been victim to unsightly staining.

And this is made ten times worse

Boots-2.jpg

by the fact that they knocked down these for it

wwwcitylibrariesinfo_01899.jpg

The Boots building has very little merit really does it. It is neither one style or another. It is typical of a developer led design & build era that has churned out so many 'average' buildings. Perhaps not as offensive as the statements such as Hove Town Hall, but then it is nothing more than a celebration of mediocrity.

The Odeon Building on the sea front gets my vote. A blank elevation facing south to the sea - what on earth were they thinking!? :wrong:

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
If there was one building type that the '60's really struggled with has to be the multi-storey carpark!!

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
The RSCH is great - what are they pulling down?

getresource.axd

The main buildings at the front of the County Hospital are nearly 200 years old and were erected 20 years before Florence Nightingale even started nursing.

The redevelopment will involve rebuilding all these buildings including the Barry Building, the Jubilee Building and the Sussex Cancer Centre (aerial image of redevelopment area above) and will mean patient care can be provided in modern, purpose-built facilities as well as making the hospital more attractive, welcoming and easier for patients and visitors to get around.

It is intended that the new and refurbished buildings will be used to:

* Expand the Sussex Cancer Centre

* Move the Hurstwood Park Regional Centre for Neurosciences from the Princess Royal Hospital and expand it to allow many patients who are currently referred to London to be treated locally

* Create a Major Trauma Unit for patients with severe injury and trauma, many of whom are currently taken to London

* Replace ageing wards and buildings, which present daily challenges in managing cleanliness, infection control and patient privacy

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
Here

This is good, as it shows what it will look like. The big dish looking thing is a heli pad.

28 onwards is brilliant.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Based on its prime location on the seafront, the Kings West building surely has to be the worst offender ?

2881701335_46415c3bae.jpg

This one definitely gets my vote. There really are no redeeming features for such a prominent building. Hopefully will be redeveloped with something with architectural merit sometime soon!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here