Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

UEFA to hit the Welsh for National Anthem abuse?

C1 BHA

Jul 5, 2003
Wiltshire
Boo as much as you like Taffies......and lets hope you enjoy listening to The National Anthem bellowing out when we go to Germany for the World Cup:wave:

StephenWrexhamFc

May 24, 2004
Gwersyllt near Wrexham
It's not exactly a suprise seeing England going to the World Cup though is it :)

Don't get your hopes up though as on that performance England will flatter to deceive again.

The England fans invented the booing of national anthems!

And didn't the Welsh national anthem get booed at Old Trafford?

Hypocrites.

Bakesy

Farting for ENGLAND!!!
Feb 13, 2005
How would i know?I'm pissed.
StephenWrexhamFc said:
It's not exactly a suprise seeing England going to the World Cup though is it :)

Don't get your hopes up though as on that performance England will flatter to deceive again.

The England fans invented the booing of national anthems!

And didn't the Welsh national anthem get booed at Old Trafford?

Hypocrites.
It pains me to say it, but i have to agree with every word.

Lord Bracknell said:
it not occur to the English that for England to appropriate GSTQ as an "English" anthem is deeply offensive to the other parts of the United Kingdom, who are made to feel like foreigners in their own country?

Well they are Foreigners and if they don't like it then they know what to do don't they?

I'm surprised we're even allowed to play it (GSTQ) at all just in case we offend the ethnic minority.

Jul 5, 2003
Cardiff
Oceanic said:
Well they are Foreigners and if they don't like it then they know what to do don't they?

The Welsh are foreigners in Wales? Interesting concept......

Robbie G

Jul 26, 2004
Hassocks
At the game yesterday i just found it sad that two nations didn't even have the respect of listening to the anthems. I've scanned briefly through the thread and i suppose the Welsh do have a point about GSTQ

The England fans decided to break into a chorus of (i think it was anyway) "You're just a small town in England" :nono:

Then again, the welsh fans were giving lots of stick back

Though the thing that i find stupid is that the fans in the city were almost segregated, with most of the England fans in Coopers Field i think it was. That to me is pretty sad

Jul 5, 2003
Cardiff
Berty_G said:
Though the thing that i find stupid is that the fans in the city were almost segregated, with most of the England fans in Coopers Field i think it was. That to me is pretty sad

Pretty sensible I'd say, given the reputation of both the visiting England fans and fans of the local club. Apparently, there were less than 30 arrests throughout the whole weekend, which would suggest the police operation was a great success.

A lot of us here were concerned about the possibilities of trouble, particularly in the city centre on Friday and Saturday night. But the event seems to have passed off very peacefully all things considered, which is great news.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Lord Bracknell said:
My perspective on this (which is based on having been born in England and having lived in Wales - some time ago, though) is that the Welsh booing/whistling of GSTQ at England matches isn't an expression of "hatred of the English" or even antagonism towards an English football team.

It is a straightforward distaste for the anthem itself and what it stands for when played at these international matches - the arrogance of the English.

Does it not occur to the English that for England to appropriate GSTQ as an "English" anthem is deeply offensive to the other parts of the United Kingdom, who are made to feel like foreigners in their own country?

Well said that man. A slightly more eloquent version of what I was trying to say.

Oceanic said:

I'm surprised we're even allowed to play it (GSTQ) at all just in case we offend the ethnic minority.

SAKE, you banging on about the ethnics again? :rolleyes:

Try and go a few days on NSC without mentioning your race crap again, yeah?

Richard Whiteley

Sep 24, 2003
Oceanic said:
Gibbering? Thought you could answer that for me, you say the Welsh are foreigners in Wales?

That's how we feel in this country at times. It's the politically correct brigade. But hey, I couldn't give a monkeys about your country.

what the f*** are you on about?

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
The Laughing Bluebird said:
Pretty sensible I'd say, given the reputation of both the visiting England fans and fans of the local club. Apparently, there were less than 30 arrests throughout the whole weekend, which would suggest the police operation was a great success.

A lot of us here were concerned about the possibilities of trouble, particularly in the city centre on Friday and Saturday night. But the event seems to have passed off very peacefully all things considered, which is great news.

To be honest it was reasonably trouble free. Was amazed when we got to Cardiff Station that we were allowed to go where we wanted, so we jumped in a cab to the Cayo Arms. Was mainly Welsh in there, but had no problems and kept ourselves to ourselves.

After the game walking back to the station a few of the Welsh youngsters were taunting and spitting on a few English in colours and the police did nowt, but that was as bad as it got.

I did hear there were a few glass throwing incidents, but the atmosphere was no where near as evil as Glasgow in 1999.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here