Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

UCAS Referee stalling on reference!

DerbyGull

Mar 5, 2008
Notts
I'm still waiting on my referee to do my reference. Deadline is tomorrow at 2359. He assured me last Sunday that he'd get it done by the deadline. I emailed again on thursday and he replied saying he'd 'try' getting it done Friday. Friday came and went without anything. I emailed him again at 10am today, but no reply.

It's now far too late for me to ask anyone else, if he doesn't get it done by the deadline is there anything that can be done that means my application doesn't go in late? Or can he get in trouble for leading me to think he'd do it?

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Who is your referee? i.e. what's his relationship to you? Might be worth mentioning.

Oct 25, 2003
eeek.......it's probably not too late to try someone else, they get the e-mail from ucas straight away, and the deadline is midnight tomorrow isn't it? so as long as they have access to their e-mails today you should be fine

i was shitting myself, i asked my referee on monday and he took until yesterday to do it, and i knew he wouldn't do it at the weekend, luckily he did it

i don't think it takes them very long to write it, so it is a bit of a pain in the arse, but i guess they're doing us a favour at the end of the day

as soon as they've submitted it you can go to the payment screen and then your application is complete

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
The referee's a wanker.

DerbyGull

Mar 5, 2008
Notts
He was our main lecturer for the 3years of the degree. I chose him cos he'd know me best. I've just emailed 4 other lecturers in the hope in blind panic!!

This is horrible :facepalm:

I did promise him several bottles of my homemade real ale (as i always like to give the referee a gift), but it's obviously not a big enough incentive.

DerbyGull

Mar 5, 2008
Notts
eeek.......it's probably not too late to try someone else, they get the e-mail from ucas straight away, and the deadline is midnight tomorrow isn't it? so as long as they have access to their e-mails today you should be fine

i was shitting myself, i asked my referee on monday and he took until yesterday to do it, and i knew he wouldn't do it at the weekend, luckily he did it

i don't think it takes them very long to write it, so it is a bit of a pain in the arse, but i guess they're doing us a favour at the end of the day

as soon as they've submitted it you can go to the payment screen and then your application is complete

Yes 2359 deadline, and i'm sweating

cw00

Mar 29, 2009
Manchester
i thought it was midnight tonight??!! ive just been nagging my old teacher via texts to do it this late on (my fault) but its done now, just finishes of personal statement

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
He was our main lecturer for the 3years of the degree. I chose him cos he'd know me best. I've just emailed 4 other lecturers in the hope in blind panic!!

This is horrible :facepalm:

I did promise him several bottles of my homemade real ale (as i always like to give the referee a gift), but it's obviously not a big enough incentive.

Maybe he's reported you to UCAS for trying to bribe him with a 'gift.'

Oct 25, 2003
i thought it was midnight tonight??!! ive just been nagging my old teacher via texts to do it this late on (my fault) but its done now, just finishes of personal statement

no the deadline is the 15th (tomorrow)

might be different if you're at college, but for MATURE students like me it's definitely tomorrow

Oct 25, 2003
another thing that i got taken aback by what that i had NO idea that you had to pay to apply!

it may have changed from when i applied last time (2005)....or maybe you have to pay if you're doing it independently and not through a college

Bedsex

not my real name
Jan 29, 2009
Flitwick
The referee is under no obligation to get your reference done unless it is part of their job description and a 'higher power' oversee's the process. Still won't have any impact on your refernce though as it is probably too late in the day now.. If you miss the deadline it means you go into clearing instead so it would still be worth sending your application in. However, this means that you may not get your chosen course but rather whats left once grades have been published. I have just recieved a request from one of my old students today; it's very late and will take me some time to write it. However, it pays to be a nice student; I will make the effort to get it done for her as she was a pleasure to teach. Had it been another student.... probably not. I think there is no harm in 'reminding' your referee; what's the worst that could happen? Just think a little more than usual about how you write it.

Good Luck!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here