Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Uber, another company sucking money out of the UK.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Be prepared for the prices to get extortionate again tomorrow.

from artificially low (and with drivers income potentially subsidised by the taxpayer, with profits going to a non British multinational) , that no one seems to mind? thats the deal with the devil.

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
I would worry that the drivers are apparently unknown and unlicensed ( what I hear) Who is that guy that your girl friend is trusting to take her home?

Having said that , it proves that the cab industry has to modernise ,embrace technology, and learn from this. A Luddite approach won" t work.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
I would worry that the drivers are apparently unknown and unlicensed ( what I hear) Who is that guy that your girl friend is trusting to take her home?

Having said that , it proves that the cab industry has to modernise ,embrace technology, and learn from this. A Luddite approach won" t work.

One of the conditions mentioned in the Evening Standard last night which doesn't appear to be mentioned in the Telegraph article was that drivers would be required to log-in to the app using either face or finger print recognition. Which was about the only sensible condition as far as I can see.

jgmcdee

Mar 25, 2012
I would worry that the drivers are apparently unknown and unlicensed ( what I hear)

You hear wrong. In London, at least, they are licensed (other towns have varying requirements). As for unknown, I'm not sure what you mean. At least with Uber you receive a photograph of the driver who you are expecting to pick you up, and the registration number of the car.

The Maharajah of Sydney

Jul 7, 2003
Sydney .
Australian State and Territory Government Authorities at odds with each other over here on how exactly to handle the likes of Uber.
Yesterday, NSW handed out 3 month registration bans to 40 Uber drivers & their cars,
whilst on the same day the ACT Government (Canberra & surrounds) passed legislation legalising car-sharing services.

rool

Jul 10, 2003
Team Uber for me. After missing last train from Orpington the queue of idle black cabs wanted £35 for the approximate 6 miles to home. Via the Uber app the cab was with me within 3 mins and the journey home was £11. It's a shove it to the black cabs from me.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London

As I said earlier in this thread - all Uber drivers in this country are licensed private hire drivers. They are NO different from private hire cabs.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
London cabbies protesting on Fleet Street this evening. Cabs nose to tail from Ludgate Circus up to the High Court and beyond. image.jpeg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here