Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

U21s v Newcastle tonight, feature two trialists.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Not so much whether they can cope or not, but whether it's truly advantageous to be spending alot of money on travel and accommodation, does it make them better players? I'm not so sure. Just seems that the money could be better spent on coaching etc, every region of the country has enough 'big' teams to provide the quality opposition.

Travelling long distances to play top opposition is all part of the preparation and development in getting players that age ready for becoming first team players, it's no different to sending England under 21's abroad to play as again it's preparation for becoming full internationals.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Another advantage of playing quality teams, is for our scouts to watch youngsters in the opposition team who may be rejected by their parent club, and available for a Championship club. We haven't done too badly out of Chelsea rejects lately.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Travelling long distances to play top opposition is all part of the preparation and development in getting players that age ready for becoming first team players, it's no different to sending England under 21's abroad to play as again it's preparation for becoming full internationals.

This. It's not just a case of training and coaching - it's the mental side of things: bonding with team-mates, being away from home/in a different hotel each week. If we can make the transition from the dev squad to the first team squad as smooth as possible in all aspects, then go for it.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Brighton take the lead after 20 minutes!

Newcastle United FC ‏@NUFC · 11m11 minutes ago
20 mins: GOAL 0-1. Brighton have taken the lead with a smart, slid finish following a run down the left. #nufc #under21

PG

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Oops!

Newcastle United FC ‏@NUFC · 28s29 seconds ago
42 mins: GOAL 1-1. Ryan Taylor levels from the penalty spot after a handball on the goalline. Brighton are reduced to ten men #nufc

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I believe the U21 can field 2 or 3 overage players so is it possible that the trialists could be free agents either from here or abroad with view to signing them for the 1st team rather than DS and the club wishing to have a look first.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Wheels coming off....

56 mins: GOAL 2-1. #nufc take the lead. Taylor's corner is flicked on by Satka, and Vuckic nods in at the far post.

62 mins: GOAL 3-1. #nufc break at pace through Callum Roberts, who gets into the area and squares for Dan Barlaser to tap home.

zeetha

Apr 11, 2011
And Pappone has been sent off for an off the ball incident so BHAFC down to 9...

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Finished 3-1.

Considering Newcastle had Rob Elliot in goal, plus Bigirimana, Ryan Taylor, Vukic and Ferreyra in the team, that wasn't a bad result.

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
Maybe they flew up and back from Gatwick, hence the early kick off.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
Any ideas, folks?

ALBION: Walton (GK); Hunt, Pappoe, Dallison-Lisbon, Starkey; Fenelon, Rea, Harris, Trialist, Trialist, Cole. Subs: Smith (GK), Davis, Wiltshire, Muitt.

The trialists were, according to Andy Naylor, Republic of Ireland striker Kieran Sadlier from West Ham and former Chelsea forward Chike Kandi.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Any ideas, folks?

ALBION: Walton (GK); Hunt, Pappoe, Dallison-Lisbon, Starkey; Fenelon, Rea, Harris, Trialist, Trialist, Cole. Subs: Smith (GK), Davis, Wiltshire, Muitt.

To put a bit more meat on the bones:-

Chike Kandi - he is described as a big, mobile centre-forward. He joined Chelsea at U-16 level from Birmingham. Started his scholarship in July 2012 and signed professional after just one year. However, he struggled to earn a regular place in Chelsea's U-18s and he was allowed to have trials at Blackburn, Birmingham and Leicester earlier this year. Chelsea released him at the expiration of his contract in the summer.

He had a trial at Charlton in pre-season, and played in a friendly against Thurrock, scoring the first and setting-up the second. He wasn't taken on and moved to West Brom on trial in August. I assume he signed a short-term deal, as he played for their U-21s against us four weeks ago. Presumably he has now been released again.

Kieran Sadlier - I believe he is a local lad originally, having been born in Haywards Heath. He is a forward (not sure of his exact role/abilities). Joined West Ham at the age of 11 from Cambridge United. Progressed through the ranks (he was an unused sub for West Ham against the Albion in the 4th round FA Youth Cup tie at Upton Park back in January 2012), he signed professional after his first scholarship year, in July 2012. Has been involved in all Republic of Ireland age groups from the age of 15. Was out injured for three months earlier this year with inflammation of the shinbone.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
To put a bit more meat on the bones:-

Chike Kandi - he is described as a big, mobile centre-forward. He joined Chelsea at U-16 level from Birmingham. Started his scholarship in July 2012 and signed professional after just one year. However, he struggled to earn a regular place in Chelsea's U-18s and he was allowed to have trials at Blackburn, Birmingham and Leicester earlier this year. Chelsea released him at the expiration of his contract in the summer.

He had a trial at Charlton in pre-season, and played in a friendly against Thurrock, scoring the first and setting-up the second. He wasn't taken on and moved to West Brom on trial in August. I assume he signed a short-term deal, as he played for their U-21s against us four weeks ago. Presumably he has now been released again.

Kieran Sadlier - I believe he is a local lad originally, having been born in Haywards Heath. He is a forward (not sure of his exact role/abilities). Joined West Ham at the age of 11 from Cambridge United. Progressed through the ranks (he was an unused sub for West Ham against the Albion in the 4th round FA Youth Cup tie at Upton Park back in January 2012), he signed professional after his first scholarship year, in July 2012. Has been involved in all Republic of Ireland age groups from the age of 15. Was out injured for three months earlier this year with inflammation of the shinbone.

One of the West Ham reports I read, referred to him as a winger.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Sadlier this Summer: "I don't have an opinion on what is the best way for me to advance - some players push on straight to the first team, while others go out on loan - so I will leave those decisions to my coaches at West Ham as they have always been spot on with regards to my development.

"Hopefully my hard work over the summer will pay off and I will catch the first-team coaching staff and manager's attention."

http://www.whufc.com/articles/20140702/sadlier-going-the-extra-mile_2236884_3945000

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here