Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

U21 Vs Norwich at Amex tonight

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
When is the cut off date to be under 21 as Elvis was 22 in August.

For this season, for the purposes of the Premier League U-21 competition, U-21 is defined as being born on or after Jan 1 1994 (so all of Manu, Ince and Goldson are overage players, and Ankergren just misses the cut-off by 14 years).

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
Ankergren is a top man and apparently very good in the dressing room. Ideal for a number 3 keeper.. Only watched parts of it but looked a lot more positive that the game against WHU.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
Surely no 4 keeper?

Depends which way you want to look at it. Looks as though Walton will hopefully spend at least another season and a half on loan for experience, would we recall him if Stockdale or Maenpaa got injured to warm the bench? (I know Walton is on international duty atm but I'd imagine the club will be looking to find him a loan move asap)

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
To be fair, for the first 15/20 minutes Manu didn't look like he could play football. He looked much better as the game went on.

:)

That's what most reports say, and I'm not going to disagree with this. What I will disagree with is the speed that too many on here rush to a judgment, which is all the more problematic, when the judgment is normally negative. I perhaps have an old-fashioned view that you should support your team, rather than expect them to be as good as Messi.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
That's what most reports say, and I'm not going to disagree with this. What I will disagree with is the speed that too many on here rush to a judgment, which is all the more problematic, when the judgment is normally negative. I perhaps have an old-fashioned view that you should support your team, rather than expect them to be as good as Messi.

Not only the speed of the criticism but it's definitive nature, 'player x is ...', end of discussion.

TBH I don't have too much of a problem with that.
I also don't have a problem with 'player x is as good as Messi'.

But FFS if you're going to make both comments about the same player (you'd expect that to be over a season, not necessarily just one half!) you have to own the first one while making the second.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Its not an old fashioned view to support your team regardless, it's commendable, but for many of us it was one of the first times we've seen Manu play and the initial impression was "ah, that's why Hughton hasn't been playing him"......did you watch the game?

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Its not an old fashioned view to support your team regardless, it's commendable, but for many of us it was one of the first times we've seen Manu play and the initial impression was "ah, that's why Hughton hasn't been playing him"......did you watch the game?

I saw him play against Wolves, MK and Norwich.
Wasn't terribly impressed with him against Wolves. He got a kick in the face within a few minutes of coming on (and, bizarrely, their defender didn't get a card for it), then was inexplicably left on the touchline for about five minutes before the ref allowed him back on. That combination didn't really help the remaining c35 minutes that he was on the pitch. He did have a gilt-edged opportunity which he hit on target, but too weakly, and it was saved.
Contrary to most on here, I thought he looked a threat against MK, although was let down by one of his finishes that went wide. I won't blame him for the finish that got blocked. I will blame BZ for not putting him in by delaying his pass, and then overhitting it.
Against Norwich, I didn't see the first 15 minutes. The first thing I saw him do was misplace a pass. But after that, he was extremely dangerous. He set up two goals, the first quite brilliantly. He also created a number of other opportunities. He played for 90 minutes and, again contrary to collective NSC wisdom, he didn't look unfit. He looked strong, direct and very quick. Those are his strengths. If he can add finishing, and improve his passing and vision, then he'll do fine. And I'm going to reserve judgment on whether he has or can develop those qualities.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I saw him play against Wolves, MK and Norwich.
Wasn't terribly impressed with him against Wolves. He got a kick in the face within a few minutes of coming on (and, bizarrely, their defender didn't get a card for it), then was inexplicably left on the touchline for about five minutes before the ref allowed him back on. That combination didn't really help the remaining c35 minutes that he was on the pitch. He did have a gilt-edged opportunity which he hit on target, but too weakly, and it was saved.
Contrary to most on here, I thought he looked a threat against MK, although was let down by one of his finishes that went wide. I won't blame him for the finish that got blocked. I will blame BZ for not putting him in by delaying his pass, and then overhitting it.
Against Norwich, I didn't see the first 15 minutes. The first thing I saw him do was misplace a pass. But after that, he was extremely dangerous. He set up two goals, the first quite brilliantly. He also created a number of other opportunities. He played for 90 minutes and, again contrary to collective NSC wisdom, he didn't look unfit. He looked strong, direct and very quick. Those are his strengths. If he can add finishing, and improve his passing and vision, then he'll do fine. And I'm going to reserve judgment on whether he has or can develop those qualities.
The first 15 minutes was the first time I'd seen him, I've read the mixed reviews of his previous minutes and I was curious as to why he hadn't played more this season (given the injuries and suspensions we've gone through). He honestly couldn't have played any worse if he'd have tried and I was really worried that we'd invested a lot of the pot in a poor player....however he grew nicely into the game and looked much better as time went on.

Yes it was too quick to judge him, yes I'm glad he improved and I hope he becomes a superb match winning force of nature for us, but forgive me my negative first impressions of him.

:)

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Only 2nd Acadamy game. Impressed with football. Difference between the 2 sides was our centre backs Dallinson and Godson. Ince in midfield and Manu up front. It was only because he misplaced passes in first 20 mins that he looked poor then. Throughout, his first touch was very good and he is quick. Our biggest problem first team is up front and there is no doubt he has more about him then Baldock

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
FA Youth cup as opposed to playing other Category 1 academies in the League.
We're in the last 16 now.

As it happens, the draw WAS announced today for the third round of the FA Youth Cup; Albion U18s will travel to Forest:-

[TWEET]665190833696673792[/TWEET]

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here