Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] U21 v Valencia PL2 international Cup

Dun Lurkin

Feb 20, 2023
According to PL2 Int cup website we should be playing Valencia next Wednesday (4th October) with a 7.30 k.o. There is no mention of this on clubs fixture list, and neither are any tickets on sale. Does anyone know if the match is taking place, and if so, is it behind closed doors? The lack of information for the U21s gets worse by the day. Do the club not want our support for the young lads?

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
According to PL2 Int cup website we should be playing Valencia next Wednesday (4th October) with a 7.30 k.o. There is no mention of this on clubs fixture list, and neither are any tickets on sale. Does anyone know if the match is taking place, and if so, is it behind closed doors? The lack of information for the U21s gets worse by the day. Do the club not want our support for the young lads?
The match is showing on the Valencia CF website:-

Valencia.jpg

As far as I know it is taking place.

Dun Lurkin

Feb 20, 2023
Thanks for that AZ. I note that the Celtic game due on 24th November doesn't appear on our fixture list either, although the remaining games v Lyon and Dinamo Zagreb do. What is going on?

Dun Lurkin

Feb 20, 2023
For those interested, the club have finally realised there is a game due on Wednesday, and tickets put on sale this morning. Still does not appear on U21 fixture list though!

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
The wider point that some are making is fair.

People are interested in this clubs youth policy, not just Brighton fans. But Brighton fans want to watch these matches and at least be kept informed about what's going on

And it's good for the young players to get used to playing in front of people, to know that there are people watching on TV. It drives higher standards and gets them used to it.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
You have to select/filter Premier league 2 fixtures then select all fixtures, then the European ones show for some strange glitch reason, we also have Zargreb and Celtic.

Tickets went on sale this morning and I bought mine about midday. Not free for ST holders as its a cup game.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
The wider point that some are making is fair.

People are interested in this clubs youth policy, not just Brighton fans. But Brighton fans want to watch these matches and at least be kept informed about what's going on

And it's good for the young players to get used to playing in front of people, to know that there are people watching on TV. It drives higher standards and gets them used to it.
These are my thoughts, but the club don't, there may be logical reasons from a coaching development reason that they want these ages groups to just be playing against top quality players. Media, friends, family, scouts get one half of the stand and the rest are now only ST holders but restricted by how many parking spaces are spare.

None are so far up to be played at the AMEX, this was a stipulation previously and not sure if this has changed or they are yet to be announced, always enough tickets and parking when that happens. My success rate this year is about 1 in three games at the training center.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
You have to select/filter Premier league 2 fixtures then select all fixtures, then the European ones show for some strange glitch reason, we also have Zargreb and Celtic.

Tickets went on sale this morning and I bought mine about midday. Not free for ST holders as its a cup game.
Nonetheless, the club aren't exactly busting a gut to publicise the U21 games - compared, say, to games in the WSL. It really does seem that they're not keen on letting people watch, either live or screened. Not to mention increasingly choosing to stage U21 matches when they're not allowed to screen them because Sheffield Unted are playing Watford (or something similar) a few hours later.

Sea Cider

Dec 27, 2012
Whilst valid to raise this lack of U21 publicity, I would give benefit of the doubt that the club know exactly what they are doing in this, rather than some form of incompetence!

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Whilst valid to raise this lack of U21 publicity, I would give benefit of the doubt that the club know exactly what they are doing in this, rather than some form of incompetence!
What benefit, exactly? Please try and come up with one. If you seriously think we are keeping scouts from other clubs eyeing up our youngsters, think again!

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo

Assume it’s just commercial metrics being used. To stream will cost them money (equipment, wages etc) and no return on that. Doubt they even recoup the costs of the extra stewards for matches at the training ground. Add in trying not to annoy the nearby residents with evening matches with the noise and the extra traffic etc.

It’s a shame, I try to get to u21 matches whoever possible and really enjoy them.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
It’s a shame that there were tickets left when the window closed, whereas when they are free they are gobbled up very quickly.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Assume it’s just commercial metrics being used. To stream will cost them money (equipment, wages etc) and no return on that. Doubt they even recoup the costs of the extra stewards for matches at the training ground. Add in trying not to annoy the nearby residents with evening matches with the noise and the extra traffic etc.

It’s a shame, I try to get to u21 matches whoever possible and really enjoy them.
Not even a Matchday Centre (not even mentioned in the U21s fixtures section either*) - how much money do they need to save?

The match will surely be filmed anyway so that it can be viewed fr training purposes - and as for connecting it to Youtube, that surely wouldn't cost more than an hours wages for a squad member woukd it? And I guess they'd only need to ask for volunteer commentators to have a quieue outside PBOBE's door as soon as it was announced!
* Yes, I'm aware it gets a mention in the 'Latest News' section.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Is there anyone at the training ground who can post a pic of tonight's teamsheet please?

I think our social media team are too busy having fun on a Mediterranean jolly.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here