U17 World Cup Squad

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
Crewe have got 3 players in the squad, which is otherwise made up of all PL/Championship sides. They must be doing something right in their youth setup!

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
I watched the under 17's against Denmark on the internet the other day. I don't know if they had a bad day but I was genuinely shocked by how poor they were. They had heavy touches, were cumbersome, slow and unimaginative in possession. The Danes cut them open whenever they felt like it.

These are kids who were born after the premiership was formed. They've had the benefit of all the money and improved training that that has brought. They've grown up watching players like Bergkamp, Cantona, Zola, Henry, Ronaldo and yet they played exactly like the senior team. The only difference was the wingers did about 20 step overs before kicking the ball off the pitch.

I thought the F.A and premier league made a big thing about youth football and creating academies to produce high quality players? What the hell have they been doing the last 15 years because not one of those players looked like they had a future in the game(based, obviously, on only that one performance...). Caskey, going on his 30 minute cameo against Stoke , is a much better player than all of them.

fataddick

Feb 6, 2004
The seaside.
Crewe have got 3 players in the squad, which is otherwise made up of all PL/Championship sides.

Not quite. Lowly Charlton's Jordan Cousins is in the squad and is in fact the England U17 captain. We also have the captain of England U16 (Diego Poyet) on our books. Shows our academy must be doing something right, even though our first team are dogdirt.

Flavor Flav

Get those trousers off!
Jul 5, 2008
West Sussex
No Arsenal youngsters in that squad. What happened to the 'best youth academy' in the country then? Or are all Arsenal's youngsters just nabbed off of foreign sides?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports