Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

U-21s v Japan University Football Association

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Two of the goals scored after 6 subs being replaced by under 18 players taken to make up numbers for DS players taken in the first team squad.

Where did it say that it was an U 21 University squad. Seagulls website says Japan under 21s. Just asking not trying to make excuses for loss

Good point, quite a few of the development squad must have been promoted to the 1st team squad seeing how few first team players we have now.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Two of the goals scored after 6 subs being replaced by under 18 players taken to make up numbers for DS players taken in the first team squad.

Where did it say that it was an U 21 University squad. Seagulls website says Japan under 21s. Just asking not trying to make excuses for loss

Swear I read that some where. I knew I hadn't imagined it. The OP used it in the title to the thread. So that's at least two of us. Looks more like The National Japan under 21 squad. So not surprising result given the new faces and the half time changes.

albionite

May 20, 2009
Why do people care about the result either way? It is an early pre season friendly. This will be more about getting match fitness.

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
So are we bothered about losing this particular game against the Japan under 21's team (as per the official site) rather than taking delight from the fact that our guys actually benefited from a great experience against such opposition ?

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
It's the Japanese national U21 team I thought?

Swear I read that some where. I knew I hadn't imagined it. The OP used it in the title to the thread. So that's at least two of us. Looks more like The National Japan under 21 squad. So not surprising result given the new faces and the half time changes.

So are we bothered about losing this particular game against the Japan under 21's team (as per the official site) rather than taking delight from the fact that our guys actually benefited from a great experience against such opposition ?

It is NOT the national Japan U-21 side. This squad is from the Japan University Football Association, spending 10 days in La Manga as a training camp in preparation for the South Korea Gwangju Summer World University Games in July 2015. - JUFA squad listing

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama
Last edited:

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Simon Ireland thinks his team was playing the Japan National under 21 side. Oh! and he's driving the bus. Shambles! :lolol:

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
The official club twitter account has the U-21 line-up for their pre-season friendly against the Japan University Football Association side at La Manga.

Harry Doherty has presumably joined the club on contract, and is the sub goalkeeper.

There are three trialists in the starting eleven:-

Touray (who I would guess is Ibou Touray, a left-back from Everton's academy who was released in the summer).
Poppoe - ?
George Cole
(from Chelsea, previously discussed on here).

Both have been given development squad contracts according to Naylor.

Poppoe looks great if he can stay injury free
http://thechels.info/wiki/Daniel_Pappoe

Daniel was a regular captain of Chelsea’s Under-16 and Under-18 teams, making his Under-18 debut aged 13.

Daniel was named in the provisional Ghana Under-20 squad for the 2013 FIFA Under-20 World Cup, having never previously been courted by the Black Stars. He made the final party but was cut on the eve of the tournament amid apparent concerns of injury.

Lots of injuries.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here