[Football] Tyrone Mings Quick Out Of The Traps......

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
I wouldn't say it's nonsense at all. Fundamentally, in life, there is no need for someone to be rude, offensive or abusive to another individual – especially if they are a stranger. In ANY walk of life. Or maybe you think there is?

Yes, clearly people can't stick to those rules – hence 'keyboard warriors'. There have been many good examples of people meeting their 'trolls' and the latter being ashamed and embarrassed by their actions. There is no way that people would behave in that way in real life, so why should they online?

I totally understand the point you're at, but take a step back and the 'famous' people aren't the problem – it's the people targeting them with abuse who are. Why should they not use social media, just because they're being abused? Why should they be made to 'handle the rough stuff'? Surely the better thing to do would be to target the abusers?

I totally hear what you are saying. However, you are talking about a perfect fluffy world that does not exist where all people are polite and respectful like us.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I totally hear what you are saying. However, you are talking about a perfect fluffy world that does not exist where all people are polite and respectful like us.

Not at all. I don't pretend that the world should be perfect or fluffy – people should be called to account, debates should be had and consequences should be endured when things go wrong.

However, there are ways of being critical or negative without being an absolute See You Next Tuesday about it. People hide behind the mask of anonymity, or the bravery of a few drinks – or some drugs – and dish out the most horrendous abuse that the vast majority of time is completely untrue. That's just not right and THAT is what should be addressed, not the fact that people on social media are posting a few selfies here and there or sharing what's going on in their life.

Until you dig deep down and get to the core of an issue, problems will still exist. Racism is exactly the same. Football fans saying that footballers shouldn't take the knee because they will get booed is madness. The reason for the booing is the real issue, not the (already explained multiple times) reasons for taking a knee.

Anyway, I'm rambling and derailing the thread. Back to the action... :thumbsup:

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
I have no idea if he deserves it or not, but does this make him Dr. Tyrone Mings?

An interesting question, so I checked and, essentially, no. Not according to wikipedia:

With regard to the use of this honorific, the policies of institutions of higher education generally ask that recipients "refrain from adopting the misleading title"[4] and that a recipient of an honorary doctorate should restrict the use of the title "Dr" before their name to any engagement with the institution of higher education in question and not within the broader community

Which is a shame - would have been nice to see in match day line ups!

Whether he deserves it is subjective I guess, but he seems like a decent, thoughtful and articulate man who has used his fame to try and do some good. So more deserving than many I'd say.

I don't think he should be picked for England ahead of Dunk, anymore than anyone else on this board, but it's not HIS fault that Gareth keeps picking him!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports