Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tyre labelling

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
I've gone for Kumo KH27s, they seem to have good reviews and are efficient, quiet and good in the wet :)

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but I had some Kumo's on a Peugoet I've long since got shot of.

They did not last a year <10,000 miles and had some interesting bulges on them when I got rid for some Pirelli's. A colleague at work had the same problem - one of them disintegrated on him.

I wouldn't go anywhere near them.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but I had some Kumo's on a Peugoet I've long since got shot of.

They did not last a year <10,000 miles and had some interesting bulges on them when I got rid for some Pirelli's. A colleague at work had the same problem - one of them disintegrated on him.

Odd, they have great reviews and all of my previous budget (even cheaper) tyres have lasted for 40,000 miles.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
Car tyres "bedding in" :lol: the only car tyres that bed in are top end performance cars and that takes about 50-100 miles to wear out the surface oxidisation on the tread. Unlike 99% of motorbike tyres.

Car manufacturers want the first set of tyres to last around 30k miles as that's on average 3 years driving, tyre manufacturers use a harder compound to achieve it. It is not possible for anyone (including main dealers) to acquire the same spec from anywhere as they are delivered direct to the car factories. I have been told this by Michelin, continental & Pirelli technical departments over the years. One customer in particular who had a replacement osf Pirelli on a fiat some years ago had under 1000 miles on the clock, which wore out at 23k with 3 mm left on the nsf (which is the hardest wearing position on any front wheel drive), the nsf was replaced at 26k and so did 4k more than the new tyre on the opposite (less wearing) side. I remember it because of the shitstorm the customer created implying that I'd supplied a cheap imitation Pirelli to him which I hadn't!

"Due to these different components, your new tyres require a break-in period to ensure that they deliver their normal ride quality and maximum performance. As tyres are cured, a release lubricant is applied to prevent them from sticking in their mold. Some of the lubricant stays on the surface of your tyres, reducing traction until it is worn away. Five hundred miles of easy acceleration, cornering and braking will allow the mold release lubricant to wear off, allowing the other tyre components to begin working together."

http://www.rtecshop.com/shop/wheel-and-tyre-info/bedding-in-tyres.html

"
New tires have to be driven a few hundred miles on dry roads to rid the tread of parting agents and antioxidants applied during production. Not until the tread has been slightly roughened will the tire be able to make its true gripping power felt.
What's more, flooring it and slamming on the brakes can cause tire/rim slip in the first few hundred miles of tire use. That's because the lubricant used in mounting the tire has an initial tendency to reduce the adherence of these two parts.

http://www.continentaltire.com/www/tires_us_en/general/techdocs/breakin_en.html

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Blimey! Glad I have a Yaris, I'm looking at £40 - £50.

The labelling is explained here: http://www.etyres.co.uk/tyre-labelling/ It doesn't give info on durability, though.

Marvellous, I'm now looking at £560 via etyres for the same ones as I was quoted. £800 for. They are rated 2 notches better for handling & 1 for petrol over other ones £300 more.
Any views on 'Nexen' Roadian HP out there would be appreciated. On a Merc ML350 5,000 easy, non motorway miles per year

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
"Due to these different components, your new tyres require a break-in period to ensure that they deliver their normal ride quality and maximum performance. As tyres are cured, a release lubricant is applied to prevent them from sticking in their mold. Some of the lubricant stays on the surface of your tyres, reducing traction until it is worn away. Five hundred miles of easy acceleration, cornering and braking will allow the mold release lubricant to wear off, allowing the other tyre components to begin working together."

http://www.rtecshop.com/shop/wheel-and-tyre-info/bedding-in-tyres.html

"
New tires have to be driven a few hundred miles on dry roads to rid the tread of parting agents and antioxidants applied during production. Not until the tread has been slightly roughened will the tire be able to make its true gripping power felt.
What's more, flooring it and slamming on the brakes can cause tire/rim slip in the first few hundred miles of tire use. That's because the lubricant used in mounting the tire has an initial tendency to reduce the adherence of these two parts.

http://www.continentaltire.com/www/tires_us_en/general/techdocs/breakin_en.html

If that were true you would need to rebalance your tyres every couple of hundred miles. In 10 years I have NEVER experienced a tyre slipping on a rim.

If you have to bed in car tyres when new why does the dealer not tell you this as driving a new car on tres with reduced grip would surely result in literally thousands of accidents?

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
If that were true you would need to rebalance your tyres every couple of hundred miles. In 10 years I have NEVER experienced a tyre slipping on a rim.

If you have to bed in car tyres when new why does the dealer not tell you this as driving a new car on tres with reduced grip would surely result in literally thousands of accidents?

Don't ask me - I haven't the faintest idea!

However if a tyre manufacturer such as Continental recommend taking it easy for the first few hundred miles on new tyres who am I to argue with them? ???

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
Don't ask me - I haven't the faintest idea!

However if a tyre manufacturer such as Continental recommend taking it easy for the first few hundred miles on new tyres who am I to argue with them? ???

Continental make tyres for super cars which need to be bedded in, it's a bit like "May contain nuts" on a packet of peanuts :)

Jul 7, 2003
Marvellous, I'm now looking at £560 via etyres for the same ones as I was quoted. £800 for. They are rated 2 notches better for handling & 1 for petrol over other ones £300 more.
Any views on 'Nexen' Roadian HP out there would be appreciated. On a Merc ML350 5,000 easy, non motorway miles per year

Personally I would avoid Nexen tyres. When I bought a used car from a dealer, they put new Nexens on the front without giving me the option to upgrade to something better. This was on a Honda Accord Diesel but they lasted less than 8000 miles before I had to replace them.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Personally I would avoid Nexen tyres. When I bought a used car from a dealer, they put new Nexens on the front without giving me the option to upgrade to something better. This was on a Honda Accord Diesel but they lasted less than 8000 miles before I had to replace them.

Many thanks, that sounds poor, I'll have to keep looking

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne

Maybe because people tend to take it easy having just purchased a new, unfamiliar vehicle. Maybe because the reality is that you should take it easy but safety warnings are not the greatest sales tool?

As someone from the motorcycle trade I have lost count of the number tough, virile, know it all bikers who have lobbed their new toy up the road because they couldn't wait to show off. The best one was literally 50 yards from the dealership on his £12,000 superbike!

In the bike trade you can buy the OE (original equipment) tyres from your dealer, but they will be at least double the price of those supplied directly from the tyre manufacturer. Why? I don't know.

ShanklySeagull

Justice for the 96...
May 30, 2011
Littlehampton
With just four patches of contact to the road not much bigger than your footprint it never pays to compromise on tyre quality. I just recently changed the rear tyres on the wife's car and found both Black Circles and Asda Tyres on the net came out about the same price.

I used Asda, booked the car in at our local tyre garage and had them fitted and paid the garage direct. Asda was £450 for the pair, the garage could only do £465 if I went direct and Kwik Fit wanted over £700!!

I'll definitely be using Asda again.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Tyres are one thing I don't tend to object to spending money on in my car. There's not much rubber keeping you on the Tarmac when you think about it.

Some lovely ones I've found lately :ohmy:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1409355643.259390.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1409355670.008827.jpg

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
(Both of those will cost you 3pts & at least a hundred quid...)

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007

Could have been a tyre pressure issue that caused the tyres to do so few miles. Maybe they were underinflated and this caused damage to the tyre wall?

Did you regularly check and adjust the tyre pressures to the levels the manufacturer recommends or did you just have them fitted and forget to check them regularly until they needed replacing?

Tyreman123

Jun 27, 2013
Before anybody buys any tyres i suggest a ring around for a quote on Hankook Tyres . one of the best performing. best value for money ,mid range tyres on the market. check em out!

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Could have been a tyre pressure issue that caused the tyres to do so few miles. Maybe they were underinflated and this caused damage to the tyre wall?

Did you regularly check and adjust the tyre pressures to the levels the manufacturer recommends or did you just have them fitted and forget to check them regularly until they needed replacing?

I did all that. The most effective solution I found was to sell the car. No problems since. Moral of the story. Don't let your
wife choose a car. Especially a french one.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here