Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Two wingers but not enough height up front.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Hemed has a great leap for a 'only' six foot. Bob's not that good in the air (or wasn't 12 years ago) but we adjusted and aimed for his chest as his hold up play and lay-offs were so good.

Ash was 6'1 and won plenty of headers.

We require a lot of running from our strikers. Can't see that'd work with someone as immobile as Smith.
The crosses just need to be better. Like Bruno's.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Hemed has a great leap for a 'only' six foot. Bob's not that good in the air (or wasn't 12 years ago) but we adjusted and aimed for his chest as his hold up play and lay-offs were so good.

Ash was 6'1 and won plenty of headers.

We require a lot of running from our strikers. Can't see that'd work with someone as immobile as Smith.
The crosses just need to be better. Like Bruno's.
I watched all of Bobby's goals recently and it is my recollection that he scored a lot with his head. I think that makes him good in the air

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
I watched all of Bobby's goals recently and it is my recollection that he scored a lot with his head. I think that makes him good in the air

Watto's crosses, wasn't it. What I meant to say is that he's nothing special in the air. I certainly don't think of him as having dominant aerial prowess in the way that Leo did, for instance.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Don't necessarily need a lot of height up front - defenders win most high balls into the penalty area (not sure why, but they do). It's a question of aiming the crosses into the right place. As that great header of goals Nat Lofthouse used to say, when playing with Matthews and Finney on the wings, "I don't have to head the ball at all - I just run into the penalty area and jump as high as I can. They then just bounce the ball off my head into the goal."

Think KLL could do more in the air - he might not be tall, but you have to jump one hell of a way off the ground to do a back somersault, but he doesn't seem to use that height that he can gain.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Watto's crosses, wasn't it. What I meant to say is that he's nothing special in the air. I certainly don't think of him as having dominant aerial prowess in the way that Leo did, for instance.

He scored a lot with his head on the far post , with a lot being quite close in
Both decent points.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here