Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Two versions of the Championship fixtures to be published today - Derby County in limbo

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Go read the original judgement, it addresses this in some detail - You'll also see that the club approached the EFL in 2018 and 2019 to discuss the policy (and the stadium sale, as it happens).

Obv Derby don't come out of this well whatever happens but the EFL are the governing body that have just issues a set of 'interchangeable fixtures' based on an appeal that may or many not happen OR in the eventuality that Derby's subsequently submitted accounts breach FFP. As I'm sure you will know, they have until 18th August to submit those revised accounts, 3 games in to next season. Awesome work EFL.

The original judgement didn’t like the wording of the amortization policy. It then went to an independent panel to arbitrate and they found against Derby. I’m not really taking sides but I don’t think Derby can claim that the original findings absolve them of guilt when an appeal thinks differently. That’s the procedure. Quite a few clubs have used appeals to get judgements against them turned over and now the boot is on the other foot. Chances are though that the EFL won’t take it any further but they can’t just capitulate without following due process.

White Fan man

Oct 25, 2020
The original judgement didn’t like the wording of the amortization policy. It then went to an independent panel to arbitrate and they found against Derby. I’m not really taking sides but I don’t think Derby can claim that the original findings absolve them of guilt when an appeal thinks differently. That’s the procedure. Quite a few clubs have used appeals to get judgements against them turned over and now the boot is on the other foot. Chances are though that the EFL won’t take it any further but they can’t just capitulate without following due process.

Basically what they have done is calculated how a player's worth is degraded each season in a manner to suit their books.
Whereas a 10m player on a 4 yr contract should be worth 7.5m in yr1 and 5m in yr2, 2.5m in yr 3 and 0m in yr 4 etc they have done something like 9m in yr 1 8m in yr 2 7m in yr 3 and 0m in yr 4. Over this accounting period you cannot lose more than 39m over a 3yr period so in keeping their players worth higher than what other clubs would have done it would appear they would have lost less money. The point here is this 3yr accounting period isn't just 2017/2018 up to 2020 it will include 2016 -2018 and 2017 -2019. So they were probably guilty of breaching FFP on more than one occasion. Minus 12 points is the normal penalty for a single breach but in this example if they have broken it more than once minus 12 points looks quite lenient.

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
I suspect that the fine is for the fact we (Derby) used the amortisation method in question, the one that was signed off at the time - As the figures are recalculated then I guess the EFL think there may be a further charge to answer. How they think this will all be resolved by beginning of August is another question, a farce, no doubt.

I bet your amort-ified :lolol:

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
What a bl00dy shambles

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here