Two to Quango?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

HampshireSeagulls

Moulding Generation Z
Jul 19, 2005
Bedford
Quangos to be axed: the full list | Politics | guardian.co.uk

Anybody on the list? Don't know how many of these bodies are "useful" to be honest - but interesting to see the Security Industry Authority is going which could be a step backward to deregulated security staff.

Noticed the UK Film Council is on there as well - don't know how influential they are?

A few related to Museums, Libraries and Historical Artefects are on their way out which may also be a bad thing when it comes to protecting national treasures for the country.

HampshireSeagulls

Moulding Generation Z
Jul 19, 2005
Bedford
Commission for the Compact? I have read the bit below and I still don't understand what it does! It tells people how to work together but has no legal powers? Get off that gravy train you lazy bastards!

The Commission is an independent body responsible for overseeing the Compact and its five Codes of Good Practice. The Compact aims to promote good partnership working between the public and the voluntary sector by outlining how the two sectors should behave towards each other.

The Commission is a non-departmental public body sponsored by the Office of the Third Sector and was established in April 2007. It does not have any legal powers. It was created after a consultation by the Home Office in 2005, which culminated in a report called Strengthening Partnerships: Next Steps for the Compact. This report highlighted the lack of awareness of the Compact throughout government and the sector.

In the summer of 2009 the Commission for the Compact launched a consultation on a new, simpler Compact. Consultation on the draft version closes on 12 October. A final version will be published during Compact Week from 2 to 8 November.

The Commissioner for the Compact is Sir Bert Massie and the Commission’s chief executive is Richard Corden.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009

Anybody on the list? Don't know how many of these bodies are "useful" to be honest - but interesting to see the Security Industry Authority is going which could be a step backward to deregulated security staff.

Noticed the UK Film Council is on there as well - don't know how influential they are?

A few related to Museums, Libraries and Historical Artefects are on their way out which may also be a bad thing when it comes to protecting national treasures for the country.

I would suggest that any Government aiming to save cash looks at all the Quangos that presently exist,quantify their usefulness and culls the ones that are a waste of money.
The number of Quangos has exploded over the past few years,often offering jobs to cronies and the usual other suspects.Reckon a good deal of cash could be more usefully spent(or saved).Probably affect the Guardian 'Appointments' ad revenue a bit,so that must be a good thing!:lolol:

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
You've got a Tory government. They're theoretically conservative. They'll talk patrimony and heritage, but the only national treasure they're interested in protecting comes out of an ATM.

Good luck -- you'll need it.

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God

Apparently the SIA have spent the last five years quietly forcing their way into areas that the original legislation had no intention for. They've paid the price.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
British Nuclear Fuels

Coming to a power station near you......

Nuclear%20Explosion%201280X1024%20Wallpaper.jpg

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
İbrahim Tatlıses;3720484 said:
Many of those quangos sound quite useful.

Can someone explain to me what the alternatives to quangos are? Or will we just ignore the issues once they are abolished

Few options

1. Don't do it anymore
2. Get Local Authorities to do it
3. Ministers/civil servants do it (especially the advisory ones)
4. Expect the private sector to do it

All of them reduce the need for a seperate body which is a lot more expensive than giving to other bodies to undertake.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Yes. I'm in a bit of a pickle. All the work I've done in the last ten years has been for the Film Council, the local RDAs, the local Enterprise Agencies and the LSC.

Anybody want an IT professional with over thirty years experience?

I used to be a member (appointed by Glenda Jackson, no less) of the Disabled Persons Transport Advisory Committee.

DPTAC has done great work over the years, costs practically nothing to run (the members are unpaid) and its abolition will result in standards of transport accessibility falling.

A disgraceful decision.

The Department for Transport have already admitted that what they are proposing will be in breach of its legal obligations.

The Minister responsible is ... Norman Baker.

Commission for the Compact? I have read the bit below and I still don't understand what it does! It tells people how to work together but has no legal powers? Get off that gravy train you lazy bastards!

The Commission is an independent body responsible for overseeing the Compact and its five Codes of Good Practice. The Compact aims to promote good partnership working between the public and the voluntary sector by outlining how the two sectors should behave towards each other.

The Commission is a non-departmental public body sponsored by the Office of the Third Sector and was established in April 2007. It does not have any legal powers. It was created after a consultation by the Home Office in 2005, which culminated in a report called Strengthening Partnerships: Next Steps for the Compact. This report highlighted the lack of awareness of the Compact throughout government and the sector.

In the summer of 2009 the Commission for the Compact launched a consultation on a new, simpler Compact. Consultation on the draft version closes on 12 October. A final version will be published during Compact Week from 2 to 8 November.

The Commissioner for the Compact is Sir Bert Massie and the Commission’s chief executive is Richard Corden.
Don't underestimate how important "the Compact" is to THOUSANDS of organisation in the voluntary sector who depend for their existence on having the right sort of relationships with public sector bodies like councils, the NHS and central government departments.

The Compact itself is a nationally agreed standard for how these relationships should be managed. All public authorities apply those standards. If every single arrangement now has to be individually negotiated, the amount of bureaucracy will INCREASE beyond imagination.

Whoever is dreaming up these "cuts" hasn't got a f***ing clue.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
If every single arrangement now has to be individually negotiated, the amount of bureaucracy will INCREASE beyond imagination.

Now that IS true. Eric Pickles hasn't got the faintest idea what the implications of much of his slash and burn policy is. Getting rid of the Audit Commission (much as I loathe them) is plain stupid, and will merely result in a huge and expensive series of tenders for local authority and NHS audits to the big private sector accounting firms - who in terms of audit quality and cost are no better than what they will replace.

Some of the quangos can go without anyone noticing, but this is plain stupid.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Don't underestimate how important "the Compact" is to THOUSANDS of organisation in the voluntary sector who depend for their existence on having the right sort of relationships with public sector bodies like councils, the NHS and central government departments.

The Compact itself is a nationally agreed standard for how these relationships should be managed. All public authorities apply those standards. If every single arrangement now has to be individually negotiated, the amount of bureaucracy will INCREASE beyond imagination.

Sorry Lord B - but I don't agree. To pay an organisation to have to lay down standards about how public sector bodies are dealing with volunteer organisations sounds like jobs for jobs sake from my perspective.

I for one am firmly in the astounded camp. Astounded at how many quangos there are and the type they are. Just ludicrous.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports