Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Two strikers and two wingers... look what happens.

D

Deleted member 22389

I like Lingard. He is going to get a pass through to goal soon and score. Hoskins is nearly there, CMS is on his way. If we don't do it this season, next season we have a really good chance, providing everyone stays fit.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
All as expected. I thought we would sacrifice the midfield and play a bit of a longer game. Silly Harry would maintain a high line than we would get around the back of them. Kippered completely. Slightly worried by Hoilett's runs might produce something for them, not with quality but persistence, with a chance of deflection.

Best performance I've seen under Oscar, but we struggled a little in midfield. I think that is because QPR played above themselves. And because Lingard's runs left the ball behind, and Forster-Caskey can't kick with his right foot (differs from others that can't kick with their left).

Not criticising Andrews, but he seems more like a defender and not a playmaker. Not that it matters cause we need another defender.

Looked very much like 4-4-2 when defending and 4-3-3 when attacking.

Me too, Hoilett is dangerous going forward, but we targeted their left-side of defence as a weak spot, and that sublime passage of play leading up to Bruno's cross indicates we were right to do that. What I'm trying to say is that Hoilett doesn't give the Hair Bear Bunched One (did you see their mascot, too: quality) much support, and I still don't know quite what to make of that Hair Bear Bunched One defensively.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
I thought Oscar had it spot on last night too. By the time the subs had come on QPR were fully committed to attack and their previously stout back finally began to give us some space in which to go forward, which ultimately we exploited to the full. It was a good performance against a good side, certainly a side we could not afford to be reckless against. The close Morrison effort aside we successfully restricted them to shots from distance which TK and the defenders dealt with very well.

It sounds very simplistic but having the ability to put the ball in the net is what counts.

It's not simplistic at all - but doesn't the amount of times we have put the ball in the net this season prompt the questioning of Oscar's cautious tactics?

Yes, attacking late on in games after keeping it tight for 60-70 mins has worked 3 times in recent games, last night and against Leeds and Doncaster.

But it has to work A LOT for us to get top 6. That's where the doubt creeps in for me, does it work week in, week out? Enough for us to overhaul Forest, Reading and Wigan?

But fair play to Oscar, a win's a win, regardless of how you get there. For a fair while I thought Gus's tactics were too defensive but the sheer weight of wins convinced me, particularly in that last 6 months of his reign, I hope Oscar does the same with a big number of 3-pointers.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
If he'd started with that formation, we'd have lost the game by half time.

Yep, we were outplayed in midfield from start to three-quarters of the game and were compelled to play it long. QPR suckered and played a high line. System only works against mugs like Harry.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
It's not simplistic at all - but doesn't the amount of times we have put the ball in the net this season prompt the questioning of Oscar's cautious tactics?

Yes, attacking late on in games after keeping it tight for 60-70 mins has worked 3 times in recent games, last night and against Leeds and Doncaster.

But it has to work A LOT for us to get top 6. That's where the doubt creeps in for me, does it work week in, week out? Enough for us to overhaul Forest, Reading and Wigan?

But fair play to Oscar, a win's a win, regardless of how you get there. For a fair while I thought Gus's tactics were too defensive but the sheer weight of wins convinced me, particularly in that last 6 months of his reign, I hope Oscar does the same with a big number of 3-pointers.

You're aware we have the same number of wins this season after 34 games as we did last season?

We've actually been incredibly consistent.
2011/12
P34 W15 D9 L10 PTS 54

2012/13
P34 W14 D13 L7 PTS 55

2013/14
P34 W14 D11 L9 PTS 53

Oscar is still learning about his squad. I'd be more worried if he was sticking with the same starting XI, but he doesn't and is (to me at least) looking for the right blend of players across the team. His trust in youth is also admirable, and to see Ince and JFC hold their own against that QPR midfield was massively impressive.

We've got a game in hand which if won would put us level on points with Forest, 1 point above Reading. Wigan are clearly going to be in the mix, but we are right in there.

You're aware we have the same number of wins this season after 34 games as we did last season?

We've got a game in hand which if won would put us level on points with Forest, 1 point above Reading. Wigan are clearly going to be in the mix, but we are right in there.

Yes I am aware of our similar record to last season - if you look at the reference I made to having some doubts about Gus's cautious approach it was precisely because I actually thought that was a bit of an underperformance by Gus. But it became impossible to doubt his tactics with that incredible run to the end of the season. Now if Oscar matches that, then absolutely, Oscar is the man. But at this stage, I see more method in Gus's tactics of exhaust the opposition with extreme possession football than I do with Oscar's, which is to keep the game tactically tight for 60-70mins and then strike towards the end - but the jury is out and I was delighted with last night's win, because it has kept alive our season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here