Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Two standout Potter moments.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
1) 64 minutes. Watford away, opening day.
Murray and Locadia started and to be honest, were doing pretty well. We were a goal up, nearly halfway through the second half. Suddenly we saw two subs about to come on, Maupay and Andone. Gasps of amazement from BHA fans. Straight swap. Two big front men off for two small, quicker strikers Not used to this. Usually try and see out the win. Result ....1-0 turns into 3-0 and we all go home buzzing. We know already we are under a different style of management.
( ....24 games later, when to be honest, a lot of the feelgood factor was dissipating......)

2) 72 minutes. West Ham away.
Losing 1-3. Not looking good. Moyes had clearly decided to take off Antonio ( their undoubted match winner up to that point ) Masuaka was getting prepared, a left back/wing back, who loves coming forward but has defensive issues. That very move indicated that Moyes was going more defensive. It appeared to the majority of BHA fans that we needed to bring on at least another striker. March coming on was met with some surprise and also a level of approval but the sight of Schelotto coming on was met with a mixture of disbelief, bewilderment and anger and comments such as..." the manager has lost it....he's not up to this level....what the hell is he doing "
Result....1-3 turns into 3-3. The whole momentum swings and the two subs run West Ham ragged, to the extent where they are the team hanging on and we could even have won the game. Not even a need for a third sub from us.

Why are these standout moments? Because they define Graham Potter. He was pro-active at Watford, when he wanted to make sure he won the game. He was pro-active at West Ham when he saw an opportunity to get back in the game. No hesitation. They have given us an opportunity to attack them and we are going to do that. Football can swing in a short space of time and you have to grab those moments.
Sure he has made mistakes. Everyone does. He is still learning at this level and will, given time, re-shape the squad that he wants. He is making quite a lot of changes throughout the season but I believe that he is going through a phase of ' fine-tuning ' until he sees the ideal balance. I travelled home on Saturday, thinking about those fairly surprising substitutions at the time and realised that he was spot on. It was tactically very clever. Whatever happens over the rest of the season, I now have no doubt that we are in very capable hands and better is to come.

3) 2-2 at home vs Everton, in injury time and having come from behind. Sit tight, everyone behind the ball and take a point and be grateful ? Nope. 5 players in and around the Everton box, OG seals all 3 points.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
1) 64 minutes. Watford away, opening day.
Murray and Locadia started and to be honest, were doing pretty well. We were a goal up, nearly halfway through the second half. Suddenly we saw two subs about to come on, Maupay and Andone. Gasps of amazement from BHA fans. Straight swap. Two big front men off for two small, quicker strikers Not used to this. Usually try and see out the win. Result ....1-0 turns into 3-0 and we all go home buzzing. We know already we are under a different style of management.
( ....24 games later, when to be honest, a lot of the feelgood factor was dissipating......)

2) 72 minutes. West Ham away.
Losing 1-3. Not looking good. Moyes had clearly decided to take off Antonio ( their undoubted match winner up to that point ) Masuaka was getting prepared, a left back/wing back, who loves coming forward but has defensive issues. That very move indicated that Moyes was going more defensive. It appeared to the majority of BHA fans that we needed to bring on at least another striker. March coming on was met with some surprise and also a level of approval but the sight of Schelotto coming on was met with a mixture of disbelief, bewilderment and anger and comments such as..." the manager has lost it....he's not up to this level....what the hell is he doing "
Result....1-3 turns into 3-3. The whole momentum swings and the two subs run West Ham ragged, to the extent where they are the team hanging on and we could even have won the game. Not even a need for a third sub from us.

Why are these standout moments? Because they define Graham Potter. He was pro-active at Watford, when he wanted to make sure he won the game. He was pro-active at West Ham when he saw an opportunity to get back in the game. No hesitation. They have given us an opportunity to attack them and we are going to do that. Football can swing in a short space of time and you have to grab those moments.
Sure he has made mistakes. Everyone does. He is still learning at this level and will, given time, re-shape the squad that he wants. He is making quite a lot of changes throughout the season but I believe that he is going through a phase of ' fine-tuning ' until he sees the ideal balance. I travelled home on Saturday, thinking about those fairly surprising substitutions at the time and realised that he was spot on. It was tactically very clever. Whatever happens over the rest of the season, I now have no doubt that we are in very capable hands and better is to come.
Post of the season for me.

Having endured a 'fan' stood behind me Saturday who declared that Propper was a See You Next Tuesday after 5 minutes, and continued to abuse, ridicule and defame the team, management and fans of our club for much of the remaining 85, the OP has restored my faith that many of us do appreciate what the group is trying to achieve.

It has taken 5 days for me to stop ticking sufficient to post about it on here. The worst thing about it being that a couple of youngsters stood adjacent felt it was amusing and ok to take the piss out of our own team too.

I had literally to be restrained from risking a banning order when Murray's goal was awarded.

Sadly, his brainless antics ruined the day for me. At the risk of being labelled a flouncer, it is in danger of putting me off going away after 43 years of so doing.

PG

Sent from my SM-A105G using Tapatalk

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Post of the season for me.

Having endured a 'fan' stood behind me Saturday who declared that Propper was a See You Next Tuesday after 5 minutes, and continued to abuse, ridicule and defame the team, management and fans of our club for much of the remaining 85, the OP has restored my faith that many of us do appreciate what the group is trying to achieve.

It has taken 5 days for me to stop ticking sufficient to post about it on here. The worst thing about it being that a couple of youngsters stood adjacent felt it was amusing and ok to take the piss out of our own team too.

I had literally to be restrained from risking a banning order when Murray's goal was awarded.

Sadly, his brainless antics ruined the day for me. At the risk of being labelled a flouncer, it is in danger of putting me off going away after 43 years of so doing.

PG

Sent from my SM-A105G using Tapatalk

Agree with this. We’re developing quite a bunch of whinging, entitled clowns. Getting on my tits a bit, home and away.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
My view is that he has formed a team that plays attractive football and creates chances.

Sometimes I wonder if there is a hangover from last year. Palace away was the example. Sublime for 75 mins (If only Maupay had put that drop in) then scared bunnies for the last 15.

He can't score for the team. Hopefully the summer will see a new team in his image.

Even if we go down I'd want to stick with him.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here